2020 Cadillac CT6 Discontinues Sport Trim Level

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cadillac CT6 Discontinues Sport Trim Level

Thanks
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 598 Posts

Cadillacsociety
    Jonathan Lopez
    7/19/2019

When Cadillac refreshed the CT6 lineup for the 2019 model year, it introduced a new Sport trim level in accordance with its latest Y trim strategy. With one branch dedicated to sport/performance and the other dedicated to comfort/luxury, the Cadillac CT6 Sport took up a position along the former branch as a stepping stone to the CT6 V-Sport (later renamed to CT6-V). Now, however, with the 2020 model year changeover, the Cadillac CT6 Sport model is being discontinued.

With the departure of the Cadillac CT6 Sport, the remaining trim levels include the base-level Luxury, followed by Premium Luxury, Platinum, and the high-powered CT6-V.
    Previously, the Cadillac CT6 Sport offered a unique trim-specific grille with a high-gloss black mesh and bright galvano surround. The front fascia was also equipped with a body-color front splitter, while the profile received black window liners (as compared to the chrome treatment seen on the other trims). Sport-specific 19-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels with an Ultra Bright Machined/Midnight Silver finish were found in the corners. The rear end wrapped it up with a body-color fascia extension.

Under the hood, the Cadillac CT6 Sport cradled the 3.0L Twin-Turbo V6 engine (production code LGW), which delivered 404 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. That engine is also going away for the 2020 CT6.
    According to Cadillac representative Stefan Cross, the discontinuation of the Cadillac CT6 Sport enables the automaker to add new standard content elsewhere in the lineup.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-20-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,531 Times in 3,812 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: 2020 Cadillac CT6 Discontinues Sport Trim Level

I don't understand how deleting the sport package allows them to offer more equipment in other CT6 packages. Either the take rate was low or they are cost cutting (or both).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (07-21-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I don't understand how deleting the sport package allows them to offer more equipment in other CT6 packages. Either the take rate was low or they are cost cutting (or both).
    Probably a combo of both. The CT6 is a great car and the idiots at GM have no idea what to do with it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-20-2019),Extreme4x4 (07-20-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,844 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    Probably a combo of both. The CT6 is a great car and the idiots at GM have no idea what to do with it.
    That would be true IMO. Cadillac mgmt. has become discombooberated.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Cadillac deserves better it really does. It needs the same passion and commitment that the C8 received. Not saying the portfolio isnt good but we all know it can be better based on the concepts they come out with. Its absolutely criminal for GM not to have made some form of the Ciel, Elmiraj, and Escala into a production.
    Bring back Pontiac

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 6.0LL76 For This Useful Post:

Tomko (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LL76 View Post
    Cadillac deserves better it really does. It needs the same passion and commitment that the C8 received. Not saying the portfolio isnt good but we all know it can be better based on the concepts they come out with. Its absolutely criminal for GM not to have made some form of the Ciel, Elmiraj, and Escala into a production.
    And Avenier and Avista for Buick. GM makes some of the best concepts and some of the worst production cars. Let's hope the C8 signals a new direction at GM.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

13. The Following User Says Thank You to unkillsam For This Useful Post:

6.0LL76 (07-20-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,185 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Maybe it is me, but it seems kind of dumb for a sports / luxury brand to dump the sport trim.

Oh well, the CT6 is on borrowed time anyway.
    The resident "girl"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    Maybe it is me, but it seems kind of dumb for a sports / luxury brand to dump the sport trim.

Oh well, the CT6 is on borrowed time anyway.
    With the proposal that GM make a "Brand" out of the Corvette name and have it be the Sporty (excitement) brand and offer the sportier trims of other GM models; perhaps the CT6 sport trim will become a Corvette "Bonneville"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,185 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

I'm sorry, but that is just weird. It is kind of like a Mustang SUV.

When you are contracting as a manufacturer, why add another "brand."
    The resident "girl"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Extreme4x4 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-21-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,844 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
    With the proposal that GM make a "Brand" out of the Corvette name and have it be the Sporty (excitement) brand and offer the sportier trims of other GM models; perhaps the CT6 sport trim will become a Corvette "Bonneville"

True Extreme4X4, that's what got us where we are today in what brands are left at GM. They had too much going on and couldn't differentiate them enough along with mismanaging brand identity in there too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LL76 View Post
    Cadillac deserves better it really does. It needs the same passion and commitment that the C8 received.
    I've been thinking the same thing since watching the C8 presentation Thursday night.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,701 Times in 5,617 Posts

Because luxury and sport are high dollar segments that, last I cared, were also relatively high growth. A sedan would be neato and so would an SUV. I've advocated for Corvette AND Camaro sub-brands for a while. Now that I kind of care about Ford, Mustang would be a good move, too—but Ford has already integrated the looks of the Mustang into the Ford lineup better than GM has Camaro into Chevrolet, and even made the move to RWD on the Explorer. There's still room in the lineup for a more right-sized Mustang-inspired SUV.

A Corvette brand is a good move, but as their base car at ~$60k is supposedly already near $150,000-$200,000 911 territory, it's very limiting. Where do you go from there in performance to justify higher pricing? 1,000hp for $120,000? And you're supposed to care about a V at that point? Where's the Corvette sedan max out in price? Above or below the hottest version of your flagship vehicle? What about the SUV?

Corvette's association with value performance is fine, but it really stymies the case for making a full-blown brand out of it. What they should have done was kept it FMR as a Stingray and added AWD, introduced this C8 as a Cadillac at about $80,000, and then brought a much hotter C8 as a halo car for Corvette starting at about $150,000. Cadillac could get a single-letter-branded "V" that's the absolute hottest version with very limited production and a very high price tag.

Sedan could have been some kind of variation of a next-gen, hacked up successor to the Y-body OR an Omega-platformed CT6-sized car for a "CT8"-price

SUV prudently could have been just one more iteration of an Omega SUV between GMC, Cadillac, and possibly also Buick and Chevrolet as well as Corvette.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 996 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Only a marketing/PR dweeb could like Stefan Cross could come up with the rationale that discontinuing CT6 Sport allows adding new content elsewhere in the lineup. Hmm...

Your explanations are as good as any. Also, the MY 2019 CT6 Sport was offered exclusively with the LGW 3.0L twin turbo V6. Since that engine has been discontinued for MY 2020 CT6, the Sport variant went kaput too. Most of the CT6 Sport's styling cues are present in the CT6-V, which is available for MY 2020.
    Last edited by gkr778; 07-22-2019 at 07:51 AM.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 653 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Reducing variations in the lineup, assuming that's what GM is doing, reduces the cost of production and improves the business case for CT6.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,531 Times in 3,812 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
    That doesn't make sense to me, then the vehicle is no longer a Cadillac and the brand Cadillac loses the exciting vehicles to this Corvette brand. Cadillac (and all other GM brands) then are left selling pedestrian cars. That doesn't help build a brand image.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-22-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast