2020 Cadillac CT5 Sport vs BMW 3 Series // $50,000 Face Off

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cadillac CT5 Sport vs BMW 3 Series // $50,000 Face Off

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 615 Posts

Throttlehouse
    4 Mar 2020

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-07-2020),Murrow (03-07-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,304 Times in 4,554 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: 2020 Cadillac CT5 Sport vs BMW 3 Series // $50,000 Face Off

I'm torn, I am fine with the CT5 being softer and not as exciting to drive to drive as the BMW - I think it is what more people want. But it is a sport version, I'm wondering if they should have tightened up the handling....

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 542 Posts

I agree with the assessment in this review. I actually do. BUT.. I can still see what Cadillac did in this. They separated the base engine model so far away that it is literally what some non-enthusiasts wanted at a lessor price that based on reading.. because I haven't had an opportunity to drive a 3.0L version.. the 3.0L Premium Lux will quell any complaints, possibly beating the M340i without ever having to go full on V. U watch this video and their largest.. their only real complaint.. was throttle response and power from the 2.0L. Still bewilders me as to why GM decided that fuel economy took precedent over the feeling of the old 2.0L, which let them to drop the power/torque rating almost 40 points.. but they did.. and the PRICE of entry to get a Premium Lux 3.0L Turbo $46,000, is damn near the price of the base 330i. Did I mention the CT5 is as large as the FIVE(5)Series. AND I STILL THINK the CT4.. even with the 2.0L might surprise everyone and be spot on in performance with the 330i.. due to size and weight, 200lbs less than the CT5 and almost 150lbs less than the 3Series.

So.. I think

the 2.0L CT5 is a necessary car for some one who wants one but isn't looking to go fast and DRIVE DRIVE. Yes.. your traditional older Cadillac driver

Basically what many are complaining about in the 2.0L CT5 pretty much boils down to Cadillac shouldn't even offer it and jump straight to the 3.0L as an engine choice.. or the 2.0L should have been left at 270/295lb-ft. But how do U market that.. the non-choice? As a salesman I listen to what the customer says they are looking for.. and take them straight to the model that I know offered what they want. Now.. there are CLEAR CUT examples of each. I bet good money when the 2.0L and 3.6L CTS were being pitched left a great deal of confusion

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I'm torn, I am fine with the CT5 being softer and not as exciting to drive to drive as the BMW - I think it is what more people want. But it is a sport version, I'm wondering if they should have tightened up the handling....
    I think they shouldn't call any 2.0L version a Sport anything. Its soft for the sake of the NON-SPORT client. And quiet as its kept.. there are people out there who have absolutely no desire for tight suspensions, cornering kings, or blasts to 60. I hate 'em.. but they exist.
    Last edited by CMiatso DaBang; 03-07-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2017 Cadillac Escalade Premium Lux, 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (03-07-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,599 Times in 3,678 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

There was no reason to drop the CTS and ATS for CT stuff, especially since CT6 is discontinued...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

bongos2u (03-08-2020),Murrow (03-07-2020),Z284ever (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post

I think they shouldn't call any 2.0L version a Sport anything. Its soft for the sake of the NON-SPORT client. And quiet as its kept.. there are people out there who have absolutely no desire for tight suspensions, cornering kings, or blasts to 60. I hate 'em.. but they exists.
    That's the problem to me, they just shouldn't have the base "sport" version with nothing sporting about it, it is a trim package with nothing sporting about it. They should've just made this luxury with a de-chrome option and not have the word "sport" associated with this model.

By putting the word "sport" in it, they invite comparisons to sporting vehicles, like this BMW. This leaves the car open to negative comments, I think it is best to not leave yourself open to negativity. I'd like to see this sport version compared to the comparable Mercedes C Class - that is a better comparison for this particular car model.

Where people are getting hung up on the change of what "V" means, this "sport" package with no real sport is the real confusion in the lineup.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (03-19-2020),richmond2000 (03-08-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

That's the problem to me, they just shouldn't have the base sport version, it is a trim package with nothing sporting about it. They should've just made this luxury with a de-chrome option and not have the word "sport" associated with this model.

By putting the word "sport" in it, they invite comparisons to sporting vehicles, like this BMW. This leaves the car open to negative comments, I think it is best to not leave yourself open to negativity. I'd like to see this sport version compared to the comparable Mercedes C Class - that is a better comparison for this particular car model.

Where people are getting hung up on the change of what "V" means, this "sport" package with no real sport is the real confusion in the lineup.
    They should just have carried over the suspension tuning of the CTS or perhaps since all the good engineers were moved over to zero zero zero projects, the ones tuning these cars were just newbies..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    They should just have carried over the suspension tuning of the CTS or perhaps since all the good engineers were moved over to zero zero zero projects, the ones tuning these cars were just newbies..
    I think it was a good idea to make the non-sport versions softer, i.e. not carry over the old CTS suspension. I suspect part of Cadillac's recent issues has been that the cars, in all versions, were to sporty, turning off people who want comfort.

I think it is a mistake to call a version of this car with the softer suspension "sport". It leads people to expect the car to have some sporting capabilities and invites comparisons like this one. It's a great car for the right people, but not people expecting sporting pretentions. I don't think Cadillac needs any negativity and this may have opened them up to it. This version of the CT5 competes against Mercedes while the V versions will compete against BMW....

This is a marketing issue, not a vehicle issue. It seems like the CT5 is a really good car, I don't want to see it get beaten up because of bad marketing, we've seen them go down this road before.

Thanks
    My Ride

I think it was a good idea to make the non-sport versions softer, i.e. not carry over the old CTS suspension. I suspect part of Cadillac's recent issues has been that the cars, in all versions, were to sporty, turning off people who want comfort.

I think it is a mistake to call a version of this car with the softer suspension "sport". It leads people to expect the car to have some sporting capabilities and invites comparisons like this one. It's a great car for the right people, but not people expecting sporting pretentions. I don't think Cadillac needs any negativity and this may have opened them up to it. This version of the CT5 competes against Mercedes while the V versions will compete against BMW....

This is a marketing issue, not a vehicle issue. It seems like the CT5 is a really good car, I don't want to see it get beaten up because of bad marketing, we've seen them go down this road before.
    Basically its like a Corolla Sport, other than the plastic S badge, there is nothing there.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,482 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

They should just have carried over the suspension tuning of the CTS
    +1
    The CTS suspension tuning is sublime, with an impressive combination of agility and ride compliance.

Alternatively, Cadillac could equip CT5 Sport with the same FE3 + MRC 4.0 adaptive suspension as in CT5-V. Cadillac actually does this in the China domestic market, where their equivalent of U.S./Canada market CT5 Sport, CT5 28T 铂金运动型, has the MRC adaptive suspension standard.

Last edited by gkr778; 03-07-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    +1
    The CTS suspension tuning is sublime, with an impressive combination of agility and ride compliance.

Alternatively, Cadillac could equip CT5 Sport with the same FE3 + MRC 4.0 adaptive suspension as in CT5-V. Cadillac actually does this in the China domestic market, where their equivalent of U.S./Canada market CT5 Sport, CT5 28T 铂金运动型, has the MRC adaptive suspension standard.

Is US Domestic or Chinese is Domestic?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    +1

That looks really good! I say it should be offered as an option on the base sport, but at a minimum the base sport should have tighter suspension - maybe using the aforementioned carryover CTS suspension.

I'm interested to see how the CT4 base suspension is tuned. As we discovered the pricing of the CT4 and CT5 can be very close to on another. I wonder if the CT4 will have sportier suspension (meaning carryover of the ATS suspension), so if you want actual sporting capabilities for a lower cost you'll be better off in the CT4 vs. a base sport CT5.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (03-07-2020),mbukukanyau (03-07-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 676 Posts

There was no reason to drop the CTS and ATS for CT stuff, especially since CT6 is discontinued...
    Yeah there was. The CTs and XTs were supposed to fix everything!.

Too bad much more needed to be fixed than a naming and pricing strategy with addition of a coffee house.

A coffee house?...GTFOOH!

Thanks
    My Ride

Basically its like a Corolla Sport, other than the plastic S badge, there is nothing there.
    Pretty much, I had assumed the sport would have tighter suspension....

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (03-07-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    I'm interested to see how the CT4 base suspension is tuned. As we discovered the pricing of the CT4 and CT5 can be very close to on another. I wonder if the CT4 will have sportier suspension (meaning carryover of the ATS suspension), so if you want actual sporting capabilities for a lower cost you'll be better off in the CT4 vs. a base sport CT5.
    I’d have to imagine CT4 suspension will be the same set up as CT5. As in the Sport trim will be an appearance package and you’ll need the V to get a tighter ride than the Luxury.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,239 Posts

2 things needed to happen for the base 2.0T Sport.

1. It should've retained the 276 hp rating from the CTS
    2. It should've received the same braking/suspension bits from the CT5-V

The base CT5 and the 2.0 Premlux could still use the 235hp tune but the CT5 2.0Sport should've been a 4 door take on the 2.0 1LE Camaro but w/ 4 doors.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (03-07-2020)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information