2020 Cadillac CT5 2.0T Review: A Sport Sedan With Big Shoes to Fill - Page 7

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 2020 Cadillac CT5 2.0T Review: A Sport Sedan With Big Shoes to Fill

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Re: 2020 Cadillac CT5 2.0T Review: A Sport Sedan With Big Shoes to Fill

It looks like this vehicle got an appropriate budget to keep it going a little longer, but with the demise of sedans and Cadillac not taking it that seriously, it's hard to see growth in sales or profits from any of this. Only the Germans make worthwhile sedans at this point so if you weren't convinced by Cadillac before, you definitely won't be now.

I can't help but say it, but GM has by far the most defecient drivetrain program in the industry and a big part of that is their under-funded platform development which is high on consolidation but low on scale. They either have expensive low volume engines, or a few mainstream engines (primarily the 2.0T and 3.6L) that have to do all the work in their profit segments. When I look at Ford which has a wealth of amazing engines that scale across all of their vehicles, I can't help but wonder why there is such a difference in thinking. It really looks like GM doesn't spend any money developing drivetrains while Ford cranks them out like it's their highest priority and they ALWAYS kick their butts. GM use to do all he butt-kicking when it came to performance across the lineup.

I can only assume GM has an aggressive full EV strategy, because right now it looks dire.
    Last edited by BORG; 11-14-2019 at 02:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

09W
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Right, It just gives them an opportunity to put a bigger number on the trunk.
    Everybubby does that. Mercedes "550" = 4.7L

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    Everybubby does that. Mercedes "550" = 4.7L
    Actually, I think its a 4.0...

Their numbers used to make sense....MB used to coincide the # with the displacement. But MB started substituting displacement for using turbos while actually increasing horsepower. So while, yes...MB does use a higher number, that number isn't an embellishment in the same vein as the Cadillac #.

To clarify a bit...Mercedes coincides the Higher number with a higher displacement and a sort of higher status....They would've found themselves in a conundrum had they tried to downbadge the S500 successor to a 400, so instead of explaining the lower number, they actually bumped it up, but like I said, they also increased the power output.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 11-14-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (11-14-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post

Perhaps the 3TT as configured for the CT6 did not fit, so they needed to change the turbos cutting power slightly. Perhaps it is taking longer than expected to crowbar the engine in.And note as you said test cars. I was unaware you could get any CT5 off the lot yet. Patience paddywan.
    Rumor is production starts 11/18. But the 3.0 won’t be available at launch per local dealer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneakers For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (11-15-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post

Splitting hairs here, but afaik, the new Caddy/GM LSY four banger launched with 237hp, and was not a detuned version of GM’s existing (LTG?)2.0T four.
    You’re probably right. Altho curious how they recoup the development costs. More so on the 3.0TT. Seems like such a low volume on CT5 why not just keep the prior 3.0TT with 404hp.

Thanks
    So while, yes...MB does use a higher number, that number isn't an embellishment in the same vein as the Cadillac #.
    How is the Cadillac number an embellishment?

258lb-ft equates to 350nm and 405lb-ft equates to 549nm.

Would seem MB and BMW have some work to do to make sense of their naming convention now that their model numbers no longer represent the engine displacement.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneakers For This Useful Post:

09W (11-14-2019),Vagon11 (11-14-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    It looks like this vehicle got an appropriate budget to keep it going a little longer, but with the demise of sedans and Cadillac not taking it that seriously, it's hard to see growth in sales or profits from any of this. Only the Germans make worthwhile sedans at this point so if you weren't convinced by Cadillac before, you definitely won't be now.

I can't help but say it, but GM has by far the most defecient drivetrain program in the industry and a big part of that is their under-funded platform development which is high on consolidation but low on scale. They either have expensive low volume engines, or a few mainstream engines (primarily the 2.0T and 3.6L) that have to do all the work in their profit segments. When I look at Ford which has a wealth of amazing engines that scale across all of their vehicles, I can't help but wonder why there is such a difference in thinking. It really looks like GM doesn't spend any money developing drivetrains while Ford cranks them out like it's their highest priority and they ALWAYS kick their butts. GM use to do all he butt-kicking when it came to performance across the lineup.

I can only assume GM has an aggressive full EV strategy, because right now it looks dire.
    I agree. It used to be the other way around just 10 years ago, and IMO GM held the flag for 30 years prior to that. I got dragged away from GM, kicking and screaming, but am happier today in Fords and FCA's.
    I'm convinced they got too in-bed with Uncle, and while they had the stuff, they were always tuned for 1 mpg more and drivability suffered too much for me.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNJ View Post
    I agree. It used to be the other way around just 10 years ago, and IMO GM held the flag for 30 years prior to that. I got dragged away from GM, kicking and screaming, but am happier today in Fords and FCA's.
    I'm convinced they got too in-bed with Uncle, and while they had the stuff, they were always tuned for 1 mpg more and drivability suffered too much for me.
    I disagree with that take....their sin is that they've become too beholden to shareholders and over prioritized profit over product. Their culture is "make it good enough while cutting corners to save a buck"

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post
    How is the Cadillac number an embellishment?

258lb-ft equates to 350nm and 405lb-ft equates to 549nm.
    Simple yet completely understandable analogy: it's akin to making a certain "virility" measurement using centimeters as opposed to the commonly used inches to give yourself a larger usable #. If you don't understand that...I don't know what else I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post
    Would seem MB and BMW have some work to do to make sense of their naming convention now that their model numbers no longer represent the engine displacement.
    See below:

To clarify a bit...Mercedes coincides the Higher number with a higher displacement and a sort of higher status....They would've found themselves in a conundrum had they tried to downbadge the S500 successor to a 400, so instead of explaining the lower number, they actually bumped it up, but like I said, they also increased the power output.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 11-15-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post

It's not that GM doesn't have the engines. It's just you are often locked into a few specific choices.

GM makes several different V8s:
    5.3L found in silverado and tahoe/suburban, 6.2L, the gas 6.6L , and the new blackwing twin turbo. The 6.2L is "kind of" available on mid level trims of the trucks, but only kinda-sorta. Here's the thing though, the 5.3L V8 is an awesome engine. Even though you are sort of fenced in to getting that engine on the trucks, its not a bad problem to have. It's a great engine and is more than powerful enough.

2.7L turbo 4: this one is proving to be scalable. It's in the Silverado and also the new cadillac sedans, and I'm sure will work its way into a few more. It is a very power dense, torquey engine and seems like it will really scream.

The V6, currently the LGX. Yes they use this engine in everything, and its actually a great engine. Lots of good features, reliable, and powerful for an NA engine. And takes regular gas. It's their workhorse but she is in good shape. Just look at its application in the camaro. It sounds great, even exotic, and every person who has one loves it.

The 2.0T, used to be LTG, now LSY with a loss of power. A bit unfortunate. But, not a bad engine to have in base model cars. I've driven cars with it, and they pull just fine and are totally enough power on the highway.

"by far the most deficient drive train program" is pure hyperbole in this case. I can't think of a current GM engine that I'd describe as anything but pretty damn good. GM engines tend to outperform their ratings too, both in power and fuel efficiency, which cannot be said of FCA and Ford.

GM is also likely close to Tesla in terms of EV tech, and with so many EVs on the horizon, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to keep putting money into gas platforms. GM is consolidating platforms over the next 5 years and will continue to do so. That's a good thing, by the way.
    Last edited by protovack; 11-25-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,203 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

CT5 build and price tool is now up and running on the U.S. market Cadillac website: https://www.cadillac.com/sedans/ct5/...and-price/trim
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (12-21-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15 ATS Performance AWD

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    CT5 build and price tool is now up and running on the U.S. market Cadillac website: https://www.cadillac.com/sedans/ct5/...and-price/trim
    CT5s have arrived at dealerships...

https://www.suburbancadillacofannarb...-MI/3565843803

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

The fastback styling is OK, but not my cup of tea. Rear style and profile are negatives IMHO. Front style is identifiable at least. Interior gets a pass, barely. Overall, a solid 3.5 of of 5.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Definitely one of those more I see more I like kind of cars. The white is quite nice, overall the car has a nice stance and is quite distinctive.

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information