2020 Cadillac CT4: Why Id Buy It - Frank Markus

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cadillac CT4: Why Id Buy It - Frank Markus

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,497 Times in 3,761 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

2020 Cadillac CT4: Why Id Buy It - Frank Markus

Stylish compact lux-sedan seems worth waiting for.
    MotorTrend
    June 18, 2019
    By: Frank Markus

What? I gotta buy a new car now? I just "bought" an SUV (2019 Chevrolet Blazer AWD Premier), and my two-car household rule is to keep each vehicle for eight years, buying a new one every four so there's only ever one payment. But fine, we'll pretend my better half's Smart ForTwo suffers a breakdown I can't fix, forcing us to junk it now that our local Benz dealers have pretty much forsaken the brand. We will, however, need to limp that Smart (or use Lyft) for a few more months until the 2020 Cadillac CT4 arrives on the scene.

Mike's two cars prior to the Smart were an Infiniti G20 and an Acura TSX, so the CT4 puts him right back in the compact luxury segment he briefly detoured out of. We've both been fans of Cadillac's Art & Science aesthetic ever since it first appeared on the 1999 Evoq concept car. Mike looked long and hard at the first-gen CTS but chose the TSX because its interior was vastly nicer. Cadillac has upped its interior game substantially since then, and even the user interface is coming around to perfectly acceptable status nowadays.

Full article available at link.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (06-18-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,168 Times in 1,905 Posts

Re: 2020 Cadillac CT4: Why Id Buy It - Frank Markus

I'm excited to see the Luxury version of the CT4. The V series just isn't for me.
    Last edited by megeebee; 06-18-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it."

-George Orwell

5. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

dannyg (06-18-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I'm honestly surprised at the praise the CT4 is getting while the ATS gets very little love. I'm glad the CT4 is getting the praise it is getting though. I think it is a solid offering (ignoring the V nonsense), assuming the price isn't out of line.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Z Fury For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (06-18-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at the praise the CT4 is getting while the ATS gets very little love. I'm glad the CT4 is getting the praise it is getting though. I think it is a solid offering (ignoring the V nonsense), assuming the price isn't out of line.
    I like the CT4 and think it will be perfect to replace my wife's aging Saab.

We looked at the ATS really hard in 2013. I loved it. A rear wheel drive sports sedan. Sadly, CUE was the dealbreaker. My wife doesn't do touchscreens very well, let alone in a moving car. So we passed and got the Regal which I like very much, but it still isn't a RWD.

The CT4 has cancelled out the CUE issue for us. I want one.
    Barry
    '04 Nocturne Blue Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1997 Catera (11/96 - 6/13)
    '13 Black Diamond / Black Regal T

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dovetonsils For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (06-18-2019),jzchev28 (06-19-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (06-18-2019),wallus13 (06-19-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    I'm excited to see the Luxury version of the CT4. The V series just isn't for me.
    May I ask you what about the 'V' it isn't for you? I'm actually sold on it. I'd probably order one today if it were available right now. The CT4 V is aesthetically pleasing to me but the only thing I'm not a fan of is the thought of it featuring that 2.7L Turbo. It may be good but it just rubs me the wrong way to think they featured it first in a truck.
    RedSkyBlackDream

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Cadillac CTS; 2012 Impala

CT4 is amazing. Awesome review.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Quote Originally Posted by Greg.Botts View Post
    CT4 is amazing. Awesome review.
    I'm still not counting you out like many have but could you start putting some substance behind your comments? Why is it so amazing? I love it too but geez...

You sound like the boyfriend. Since I've known him he hasn't explained to me why he's in love with his German cars other than he loves them...
    RedSkyBlackDream

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSkyBlackDream For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-19-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member SavoieRF's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    17 XT5 13 ATS 15 ATS Coupe

If the CT4 was a coupe, I would be camping out at Baker Cadillac to order the CT4. Since it only offered as a sedan right now I have to see it first.
    1991 Pontiac Firebird
    1992, 1996, 2004 Pontiac Bonnevilles
    1999 Chevy Camaro
    2007 Pontiac Torrent
    2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan
    2010 Cadillac SRX
    2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe
    2013 Cadillac CTS Performance AWD Coupe
    2013 Cadillac ATS AWD Sedan
    2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe
    2017 Cadillac xT5
    2019 Cadillac ATS Luxury AWD Coupe Black Raven
    Ten Cadillacs in eleven years! Hidden Content

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SavoieRF For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (06-24-2019),jzchev28 (06-19-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (06-18-2019),rockyspaw (06-18-2019),samesun (06-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,168 Times in 1,905 Posts

I'm honestly surprised at the praise the CT4 is getting while the ATS gets very little love.
    When it was new, the ATS was showered with praise.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    May I ask you what about the 'V' it isn't for you?.
    Put plainly: I like a bit of chrome. Not a lot, just adroitly placed accents. The "Aggressive" facias and exterior panels usually used on such vehicles. I find them to look over-wrought. I admire the capabilities of the V Series and it's competitors, I just don't desire it myself.

It's probably something to do with my age. I'm a "Senior Sister".
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it."

-George Orwell

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-19-2019),jzchev28 (06-19-2019),ksr (06-19-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (06-18-2019),SKH (06-19-2019)

Thanks

One thing the AT4 does is get rid of the cheap gauge cluster that the ATS used. Of all the things to do, they put the cheapest part of the car in the driver's face. Now that's fixed.
    Donne e motori, gioie e dolori

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaxLegroom For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (06-18-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (06-18-2019),wallus13 (06-19-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLegroom View Post
    One thing the AT4 does is get rid of the cheap gauge cluster that the ATS used. Of all the things to do, they put the cheapest part of the car in the driver's face. Now that's fixed.
    I like the looks of the CT4 a lot. But I have an ATS and I think the gauges actually look pretty good, particularly at night They're not very modern anymore, but they look good to me. But, I don't think the ATS sales problems have anything to do with the gauges.

Unfortunately, the criticism of the CT4 in that it doesn't address the shortcomings of the ATS - rear seat room, trunk - seem valid.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at the praise the CT4 is getting while the ATS gets very little love.
    When it was new, the ATS was showered with praise..

It really was. And continued to be so outside of afformentioned guages and rear seat room. And that had more to with the fact that the 3 series got larger and more Lexus like in its drivability. I remember one comparison between the two actually ending with the writer saying just that.. The 3 series was more comparable to the ES 350 than 3 series before.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Stylish compact lux-sedan seems worth waiting for.
    MotorTrend
    June 18, 2019
    By: Frank Markus

What? I gotta buy a new car now? I just "bought" an SUV (2019 Chevrolet Blazer AWD Premier), and my two-car household rule is to keep each vehicle for eight years, buying a new one every four so there's only ever one payment. But fine, we'll pretend my better half's Smart ForTwo suffers a breakdown I can't fix, forcing us to junk it now that our local Benz dealers have pretty much forsaken the brand. We will, however, need to limp that Smart (or use Lyft) for a few more months until the 2020 Cadillac CT4 arrives on the scene.

Mike's two cars prior to the Smart were an Infiniti G20 and an Acura TSX, so the CT4 puts him right back in the compact luxury segment he briefly detoured out of. We've both been fans of Cadillac's Art & Science aesthetic ever since it first appeared on the 1999 Evoq concept car. Mike looked long and hard at the first-gen CTS but chose the TSX because its interior was vastly nicer. Cadillac has upped its interior game substantially since then, and even the user interface is coming around to perfectly acceptable status nowadays.

Full article available at link.
    Greg.Botts is a fan boy, but this time he is talking the truth. Escalade's interior will outclass everything, including the RR/Bentley.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Shloma For This Useful Post:

bronx13 (06-19-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shloma View Post
    Greg.Botts is a fan boy, but this time he is talking the truth. Escalade's interior will outclass everything, including the RR/Bentley.
    LOL. No it certainly will not. There is a very ugly Bentayga sitting in my driveway at the moment (not mine!) and there is no way the Escalade is going to surpass that. The materials on the interior in that car surpass anything other SUV short the Cullinan (and let's not even go there). Unless Cadillac has found out some magic way to deliver more for $100k less, this is a non-starter.

I am excited for a unique and expressive interior design on the Escalade though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 959 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I like the looks of the CT4 a lot. But I have an ATS and I think the gauges actually look pretty good, particularly at night They're not very modern anymore, but they look good to me. But, I don't think the ATS sales problems have anything to do with the gauges.
    +1
    The ATS' instrument cluster is better designed and more modern than the non-backlit cluster in BMW F3x cars without option 6WB.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast