2020 Cadillac CT4 Test Drive & Full Review (The Small Sedan Worthy of the Cadillac Br - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cadillac CT4 Test Drive & Full Review (The Small Sedan Worthy of the Cadillac Br

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Re: 2020 Cadillac CT4 Test Drive & Full Review (The Small Sedan Worthy of the Cadilla

Here's an interesting "primer", so to speak, on auto paint.

https://www.consumerreports.org/buyi...omotive-paint/

Reds are more expensive because the materials to make them are more expensive. Other paints require a more involved process (labor hours) to apply and cure. Other paints are developed by outside suppliers and that's just what they charge for them.
    Last edited by Dovetonsils; 03-29-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    Barry
    '04 Nocturne Blue Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1997 Catera (11/96 - 6/13)
    '13 Black Diamond / Black Regal T

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dovetonsils For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-29-2020),dannyg (03-29-2020),gkr778 (03-29-2020),wallus13 (03-29-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,425 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Re: 2020 Cadillac CT4 Test Drive & Full Review (The Small Sedan Worthy of the Cadilla

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Question on the red color, obviously GM charges a premium for the color in all its divisions (though a lot more on Cadillac). Does the paint actually cost GM more to purchase than the other metallic colors or are they simply charging more based on it being desirable? Or a mix of both, charging more because it costs more plus it is popular... I'm assuming a lot is the popularity, but I'm interested on the cost side.
    Ultimately, GM charges $1,225 for the Red Obsession Tintcoat color on Cadillac CT4 because... it can. Profiteering at its finest.

This particular red paint uses a standard 2-layer process like other metallic colors, but adds a tinted clearcoat for extra depth. Crystal white, which is also a $1,225 option on CT4, uses a 3-layer process with a translucent middle layer.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,090 Times in 4,445 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Dovetonsils View Post
    Here's an interesting "primer", so to speak, on auto paint.

https://www.consumerreports.org/buyi...omotive-paint/

Reds are more expensive because the materials to make them are more expensive. Other paints require a more involved process (labor hours) to apply and cure. Other paints are developed by outside suppliers and that's just what they charge for them.
    Interesting read! Thanks!

I knew those matte finishes were hard to take care of, but wow - what a pain. And to me, they don't even look good in the real world. They look neat at auto shows but on the road the cars look like colored primer.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks!

I knew those matte finishes were hard to take care of, but wow - what a pain. And to me, they don't even look good in the real world. They look neat at auto shows but on the road the cars look like colored primer.
    Yes, matte is a train wreck. Whoever thought it was a good idea to use fragile paint on a car should be sent to a penal colony. And agree totally, looks like they just primed it and sent it out without finishing the job.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 617 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

With the recent (understandable) announcement that GM is deferring various updates, MCEs, etc., I guess this means there won't be any tweaks to the CT4/CT5 for 2021! Oh well. I was thinking they could offer the detuned 2.7T as a $2500 option on the Sport trim (same price as adding it to Prem Lux). Keep the full power 2.7T on the V of course. That would give you about a $40K Sport 2.0T, $42.5K Sport 2.7T, and $45K V.

You could do the same for CT5, offer the detuned 3.0TT as an option on the CT5 Sport.

(Plus my usual harangue to offer the same safety tech on the base CT4 as on the base CT5.)
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

to the people complaining about the "NVH" of "Chevy" 4 cylinder engines vs their german competition, do you really think there is some deep secret to balancing 4 cylinder inline engines that GM has not thought of? They all need a balance shaft, they are all inherently "bouncy", and they are used for weight, cost, and packaging reasons in the germans too, just like GM. There is nothing inherently "smoother" about an inline 4 cylinder engine just because it is in a BMW car. Unless an engineer can chime in and give specific examples of where a german made 2.0L inline 4 in a base car has superior balance and why, I call BS on that argument.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by protovack View Post
    There is nothing inherently "smoother" about an inline 4 cylinder engine just because it is in a BMW car. Unless an engineer can chime in and give specific examples of where a german made 2.0L inline 4 in a base car has superior balance and why, I call BS on that argument.
    Beyond the use of balance shaft, techniques used by BMW to reduce NVH in its newer generation 4-cylinder engines include offset positioning of the crankshaft and wrist pin, precisely designed engine mounts, acoustically tuned intake and exhaust, and a "vibration damper/harmonic balancer" device for the crankshaft pulley (see diagram below).

But really, there's no need to enlist the assistance of an engineer in this context. Simply drive a BMW equipped with an N20 or B48 engine back to back with any GM car equipped with an LTG or LSY engine. If you can't tell the difference in NVH between the two automakers' powertrains, your senses are dull, you lack objectivity, or both.
    Last edited by gkr778; 04-02-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Thanks

I was very disappointed to learn there is no V6 CT4 except for the ATS-V replacement, which I can't afford. It's all the more disappointing because the LGX V6 is such a wonderful V6. An LGX CT4 with a manual transmission would have been perfect.

In my experience there is not one GM I4 engine that has acceptable NVH levels. It's ridiculous when a Cadillac sedan has more engine vibrations coming through the driver's seat than a Ford Focus, but that's what felt when test driving a CT4. GM just won't invest the R&D needed to refine them, and then they wonder why nobody buys their sedans.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LithiumVsport For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (04-03-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by LithiumVsport View Post
    In my experience there is not one GM I4 engine that has acceptable NVH levels. It's ridiculous when a Cadillac sedan has more engine vibrations coming through the driver's seat than a Ford Focus, but that's what felt when test driving a CT4. GM just won't invest the R&D needed to refine them, and then they wonder why nobody buys their sedans.
    +1
    What makes this even more disappointing, as sdotjeezy mentioned to me in another thread, is that GM possesses the engineering talent to develop powertrains with NVH levels appropriate for a premium brand like Cadillac. Unfortunately, they apply that talent only to engines with more cylinders than my right hand has fingers.

I sincerely hope that the 2.7L 4-cylinder engine in CT4 will be the exception to this rule. Hopefully, driving impression reviews of CT4-V and CT4 Premium Luxury 450T will be available soon.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (04-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 617 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Dealer video (about 4min) of CT4-V, yay, but no driving or engine noise, darn. Hoping for a driving video soon. Black on black, nice wheels, looks great. IMO.

Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (04-09-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    Dealer video (about 4min) of CT4-V, yay, but no driving or engine noise, darn. Hoping for a driving video soon. Black on black, nice wheels, looks great. IMO.

Nice video!

In Canada, CT4-V base price is $47,598 CAD including destination and air conditioning charge. At current exchange rates, that's about $34,100 USD.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

dannyg (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V AWD White

Raiti Loves the CT4-V. His review is on Youtube.

I could not post link due to post count.
    Last edited by ArtsCadillac; 04-19-2020 at 11:21 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsCadillac View Post
    Raiti Loves the CT4-V. His review is on Youtube.

I could not post link due to post count.
    While I am still unimpressed with CT4 (just like with the whole small-sedan segment including A4 and CLA) I am positively astonished there's so little hate regarding CT4 in the YT comment section. People seem to like CT4 a lot and that's a good thing!
    Current:
    2014 Volvo V40 CC
    2016 Mercedes CLS
    1994 Firebird TransAm LQ4 manual
    2017 Mustang
    Previous:
    2005 Mercedes SL
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1992 Cadillac STS
    1997 Corvette

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    +1
    What makes this even more disappointing, as sdotjeezy mentioned to me in another thread, is that GM possesses the engineering talent to develop powertrains with NVH levels appropriate for a premium brand like Cadillac. Unfortunately, they apply that talent only to engines with more cylinders than my right hand has fingers.

I sincerely hope that the 2.7L 4-cylinder engine in CT4 will be the exception to this rule. Hopefully, driving impression reviews of CT4-V and CT4 Premium Luxury 450T will be available soon.
    Are you missing fingers on your left hand?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    Are you missing fingers on your left hand?
    Yup, two fingers on my left hand were traumatically amputated during my service in the Army National Guard.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information