2019 Cadillac XT4 Sport Review: A Good Crossover, But It's No Cadillac - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cadillac XT4 Sport Review: A Good Crossover, But It's No Cadillac

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 542 Posts

Re: 2019 Cadillac XT4 Sport Review: A Good Crossover, But It's No Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    And I do agree - Cadillac does in many instances have the best! But they've failed on the marketing side to get the word out. So many people out there still laugh when I say I have a Cadillac - old Bob in an old mans car. I take the jokes (because they won't listen to me when I say my ATS is for all intents a sports car) and then they quickly change their mind when they see my ATS. But why is it 2019 and I'm still getting laughed at? That tarnished image is still there.

I hear U.. and I used to get that from people I knew.. but then i showed them what my last 4 Caddys could do. but yeah.. their marketing sucked. The best plan they had for changing the perceptions was the "Break through (Led Zep) period
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2017 Cadillac Escalade Premium Lux, 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-09-2019),jzchev28 (06-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Another dipwad lands a job reviewing cars. Pretty much all rubbish. The XT4 is a very solid entry from Cadillac, and is doing well. And it very much is a Cadillac and appropriately priced, IMO, and I've looked it over closely. Hey even back in the heyday, they made a Calais with crank windows. But journalists these days pretty much don't need to know anything except, "make derogatory comments about GM as often as possible and your fellow journalists might take you seriously."

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yamahr1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-09-2019),BlackGTP (06-09-2019),CMiatso DaBang (06-09-2019),jzchev28 (06-09-2019),rougeriver (06-09-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,231 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    That’s if Cadillac or GM can justify the cost of developing that engine for transverse applications, based on the numbers they think they might sell. Also do they have a transmission that can handle that much torque in a FWD/AWD vehicle?

I suspect the lack of a suitable transmission is why we don’t have a C1XX based CUV with more than 300 ft/lb of torque, however if they have one, then the XT4 with the 2.7L 4 banger would be a pretty awesome car.
    If the 2.7T won't fit, another option would be an optional hi-perf 2.0TT. Say 300hp. That's roughly what Merc has for latest gen 2.0Ts. Then you could have:

CT4/XT4: base 237hp 2.0TT / optional 300hp 2.0TT for Sport/Prem Lux
    CT4-V: 320hp 2.7T (would have more torque than 2.0TT yay)
    XT4-V: I don't think I'd do it, not performance/track related enough due to FWD/AWD platform. Gotta draw the line somewhere to maintain V prestige. I'm fine with current RWD/AWD CT4-V/CT5-V.

For the record I'd be fine with a hypothetical RWD/AWD XT7-V with +400hp!
    Not to nitpick but a inline 4 doesn't need a twin turbo, twin scroll sure but that is not the same thing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-09-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,551 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    Equinox could be on the XT4 platform for sure, but C1XX already has two wheelbase lengths 112.5-112.7” for the XT5/Envoy/Blazer/Blazer XL and 120.9” for the Enclave/Traverse. I think a third 116” WB would be great, (especially the XT6 for a Goldilocks WB) but the C1XX is probably going to be replaced or slowly phased out in 2-3 years in favor of VSS-F, so any further developments on C1XX are unlikely.
    I noticed that the XT4 is on E2XX and just wondered at the cohesion possible if all three were on the same platform but I guess I'm not looking at the logistics of the vehicles being extensions - incremental production at plants already producing other volume proucts on the same platforms,

I like your idea of 116" wheelbase for XT6, that would most definitely change its proportions. the biggest take away for me with regards luxury Utilities s width, that extra 3" over plebian compact utilities makes the XT5 a roomy stand out - almost like a more efficient Edge/MKX.

I am Kind of a fan of the XT4, so glad that Cadillac put the effort in to make something different but I just wonder if it does draw a lot of sales away from XT5.....
    Last edited by jpd80; 06-09-2019 at 02:46 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,639 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    No not suggesting they all be called XT5, consolidate the vehicles on one platform,
    Compact XT4 is wider and longer 109.5" wheelbase than Equinox
    Mid sized XT5 is on a 112" wheelbase
    The XT6 is still on 112" wheelbase but 1" wider, longer rear for3rd row

Seriously, all of these could be one Utility platform in one width but with variable wheelbase and variable tail section. I just don't see why all of these need to be on three different platforms and three different plants.
    Because GM.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 654 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic
    Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post

Not to nitpick but a inline 4 doesn't need a twin turbo, twin scroll sure but that is not the same thing.
    Good point, I confused twin scroll with twin turbo. The 3.0 is twin turbo.

With stick shift I always prefer NA for instant throttle response (even if torque is lower). But with automatic might as well give in I guess...
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,820 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I noticed that the XT4 is on E2XX and just wondered at the cohesion possible if all three were on the same platform but I guess I'm not looking at the logistics of the vehicles being extensions - incremental production at plants already producing other volume proucts on the same platforms,

I like your idea of 116" wheelbase for XT6, that would most definitely change its proportions. the biggest take away for me with regards luxury Utilities s width, that extra 3" over plebian compact utilities makes the XT5 a roomy stand out - almost like a more efficient Edge/MKX.

I am Kind of a fan of the XT4, so glad that Cadillac put the effort in to make something different but I just wonder if it does draw a lot of sales away from XT5.....
    The XT6 is even wider than the XT5 but it is basically all in the track and the extra sheet metal to cover the wheels. Iirc XT6 and XT5 are basically the same in shoulder and hip room. The extra track width was to give the XT6 a better stance as it is just under 9” longer than the XT5. Without that extra width, it might end up looking very narrow like the proverbial pencil, a common complaint made over the years against countless GM offerings.

The extra width is what saves the XT6 imo. It needed the extra 2-3” of wheelbase, (116”) but the wider track nullified most of that need from an aesthetic standpoint. Clearly Cadillac was watching the pennies with XT6, and perhaps if C1XX wasn’t so near the end of it’s life cycle, it might have gotten that extra helping of WB.

I’m still curious as to why XT6 wasn’t on the 120.9” WB. Perhaps the designers though it made it look too much like a prosaic family hauler, rather than it being hunkered down, dynamic and sporty looking. Perhaps XT7 will get a 116-118” WB on the upcoming VSS-R platform?

My Discovery has 2.3” more WB versus the XT6 and is a couple of inches shorter in length. XT6 likely has more front overhang, and as a result of that extra length being overhang the design still looks quite handsome (especially the Sport on 21” rims) and is proportionally decent. My sister is going to look at the XT6 Sport to replace her Escalade. She wants the gray one with 21” rims like the Sport in the publicity shots. The dealer is already champing at the bit to get her to commit, but Cadillac needs to get their A$$ in gear announce option prices etc. Two months out, and you still can’t build one on Cadillac’s site!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    Another dipwad lands a job reviewing cars. Pretty much all rubbish. The XT4 is a very solid entry from Cadillac, and is doing well. And it very much is a Cadillac and appropriately priced, IMO, and I've looked it over closely. Hey even back in the heyday, they made a Calais with crank windows. But journalists these days pretty much don't need to know anything except, "make derogatory comments about GM as often as possible and your fellow journalists might take you seriously."
    Cadillac Calais roll up windows. Wow.. Blast from the past.. but if I were running Caddy.. I'd re-implement these.. as a option. I bet good money after sitting in them.. people would order the, quite frequently

My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2017 Cadillac Escalade Premium Lux, 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    Calais did have crank windows as standard equipment the first 2 years of production, as it was a renaming of the old Series 62, but in 1967 Cadillac made electric windows standard across all models. I suspect very few were ordered with crank windows those first two years.

I don't think I've seen crank windows in any Cadillac ever.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Cadillac ATS AWD V6

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Cadillac Calais roll up windows. Wow.. Blast from the past.. but if I were running Caddy.. I'd re-implement these.. as a option. I bet good money after sitting in them.. people would order the, quite frequently

It just needs Billy Batts in the trunk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rougeriver For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-09-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member SavoieRF's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Cadillac CT5 V in black r

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    I forgot your one of those people lol driving by your house and seeing two of the same car out front. I give the head shake and eye roll every time hahahahaha.
    Yah but they are different colors and I also have an AT S coupe to bring balance to the force.😉
    1991 Pontiac Firebird
    1992, 1996, 2004 Bonnevilles
    1999 Camaro
    2007 Torrent
    2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan
    2010 Cadillac SRX
    2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe
    2013 Cadillac CTS Performance AWD Coupe
    2013 Cadillac ATS AWD Sedan
    2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe
    2017 Cadillac XT5 Dark Blue
    2019 Cadillac XT4 Luxury AWD Autumn
    2019 Cadillac ATS Luxury AWD Coupe Black Raven
    Current Vehicles
    2019 Cadillac XT4 Luxury AWD Atlantic Blue
    2020 Cadillac CT5-V AWD in Black Raven
    Eleven Cadillacs in eleven years! Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Well.... whatever.

The only way a Cadillac...... ok, watered down for the 'new reality hoax' - so the only way a Cadillac of at least some token repute should have a three, four, or five banger is as some **** hot, paradigm breaking Two Cycle somethin' or other.

Otherwise..... a Six on the cheap and because Management is clueless...... with an Eight for somethin' proper.

Full Stop.

And this Poster has ( very) 'high respect' ( so far ) for the LB3 -

JdN ... FTW.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rougeriver View Post
    It just needs Billy Batts in the trunk
    That's about right

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

But it's also doing something else: diluting the brand.
    I wonder what he thinks of:

Mercedes CLA/ GLA

Most Lincolns

BMW 1(and arguably the 2)

Lexus NX/UX
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post

Or...

At least the wood was real.

Designed by Giorgio Giugiaro. A friend had one and it was a very good interior. Seats were very comfortable.
    Last edited by megeebee; 06-09-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

22. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-10-2019)

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information