2019 Cadillac XT4 Sport Review: A Good Crossover, But It's No Cadillac - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cadillac XT4 Sport Review: A Good Crossover, But It's No Cadillac

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 556 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

Re: 2019 Cadillac XT4 Sport Review: A Good Crossover, But It's No Cadillac

XT4 is a great vehicle and one I truly enjoyed driving. It does need a bit more power but overall I can find very little to complain about.
    2018 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop (Plum Crazy Purple)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (06-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 1,705 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    No not suggesting they all be called XT5, consolidate the vehicles on one platform,
    Compact XT4 is wider and longer 109.5" wheelbase than Equinox
    Mid sized XT5 is on a 112" wheelbase
    The XT6 is still on 112" wheelbase but 1" wider, longer rear for3rd row

Seriously, all of these could be one Utility platform in one width but with variable wheelbase and variable tail section. I just don't see why all of these need to be on three different platforms and three different plants.
    Equinox could be on the XT4 platform for sure, but C1XX already has two wheelbase lengths 112.5-112.7” for the XT5/Acadia/Blazer/Blazer XL and 120.9” for the Enclave/Traverse. I think a third 116” WB would be great, (especially the XT6 for a Goldilocks WB) but the C1XX is probably going to be replaced or slowly phased out in 2-3 years in favor of VSS-F, so any further developments on C1XX are unlikely.
    Last edited by SKH; 06-09-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,645 Times in 3,865 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with Jerry Perez here. I'm a fan of the XT4, and think that Cadillac needs more cars like it.

As many on GMI know, I'm a very picky person when it comes to interiors, particularly about materials and fit and finish of said materials. I think the XT4's material usage is very class appropriate, and I think the overall fit and finish is as well.

I think the XT4 is the best looking CUV in its segment, especially when it's sitting on the 20" wheels. It's very attractive.

Where I think the XT4 lags is in the powertrain department. The base 237 HP 2.0T just isn't enough motor for this car IMO. It's fine for a base level XT4, but once we start getting into the $50,000 range, it isn't enough. I didn't like the power delivery when I drove one either, which was mentioned in the review. I think it's by far the weakest link in an otherwise excellent package.

With all that said, I don't think the XT4 has anything to worry about. It's a solid CUV and is selling well.
    Just when I think you are totally biased against GM & Cadillac, you go and post something like this.

Cadillac did a nice job with the XT4, I had one for 5 days - I really liked it! Had a few imperfections, but overall I really liked it!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    How long have I been saying the same thing old friend? Since our AWCC days?Its not just the reviewers. Here we are on a forum.. where people know that the Euro makers are not only flawed, but very often worse in certain executions, but the very same posters would rather BS themselves and then U and I, into believing that some how.. some way.. the Mercedes ****ty plastic is better than the Cadillac ****ty plastic. And maybe it is GM's fault as well. My CTS-V has door panels that are in no way hard plastic on the bottom.. soft and supple covered in "leather." But why didn't they do the same with the CT6? Why are they inconsistent in pushing forth the perfection that they are so capable of? They have the capability to decimate the competition.. but I believe I know why they don't do it consistently.. they believe it will be wasted. Think about the fact that they built the absolute best lux sports sedan on the planet in the Gen 3 CTS... and people still tried to nit pick it to death.. going so far as to say that it wasn't worth $46K while a 5Series was worth $51K. IN WHAT WORLD? Have U ever driven or been in a 5series? No freaking way.. Hell.. I would have said the Chevy SS was a better car than it.. fit, finish, and damn sure engineering.. as in my crazy messed up world.. I believe still to this day.. that GREAT ENGINEERING is engineering that WORKS reliable. I don't know if U remember when BMW drove me to Cadillac and I purchased my '05 STS. That was after 2 months of a brand new M5 constantly having me on the phone with roadside assist.
    I am torn on this argument. I do agree that Cadillac is held to higher standards than the German competition. But, Cadillac spent a lot of time tarnishing their image and they should be fully aware that they are held to higher standards. So should they repent by building higher quality cars until their image catches up with the Germans? I sometimes feel like it will be a much longer road to redemption if they stick to being on par.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-09-2019),AMERICA 123 (06-09-2019),rougeriver (06-09-2019)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    If the 2.7T won't fit, another option would be an optional hi-perf 2.0TT. Say 300hp. That's roughly what Merc has for latest gen 2.0Ts. Then you could have:

CT4/XT4: base 237hp 2.0TT / optional 300hp 2.0TT for Sport/Prem Lux
    CT4-V: 320hp 2.7T (would have more torque than 2.0TT yay)
    XT4-V: I don't think I'd do it, not performance/track related enough due to FWD/AWD platform. Gotta draw the line somewhere to maintain V prestige. I'm fine with current RWD/AWD CT4-V/CT5-V.

For the record I'd be fine with a hypothetical RWD/AWD XT7-V with +400hp!
    Not sure if the 2.7L four would fit in the XT4, (likely it would)doing it is more about GM having a suitable transmission/Transaxle to handle the torque, and whether they can justify development costs. Failing that, as you said just tune the eff out of Cadillac’s new four banger, 300/300+ and that’ll suffice for now.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-09-2019),dannyg (06-09-2019),rougeriver (06-09-2019)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

I think Mercedes just announced an AMG A class FWD/AWD variant with a 419HP four cylinder, so GM is being absolutely spanked in this department.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

rougeriver (06-09-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I am torn on this argument. I do agree that Cadillac is held to higher standards than the German competition. But, Cadillac spent a lot of time tarnishing their image and they should be fully aware that they are held to higher standards. So should they repent by building higher quality cars until their image catches up with the Germans? I sometimes feel like it will be a much longer road to redemption if they stick to being on par.
    granted.. and I agree on the tarnishing to a degree. Part of the tarnishing was simply not catching up with what the public wanted.. remaining a perceived old mans luxury with no sporting edge brand, while the Germans were elevating themselves into the hybrid Sport Lux that the younger Americans wanted. Even I didn't want what my dad loved in his old Brougham. It was a boat.. it had a LT1 in it yeah.. but hit a corner to hard and U might flip the thing. EFF that. When the Sigma platform arrived I knew I was a potential Cadillac customer. Alpha arrived and I had the handling of a Vette in a Cadillac Sport Lux package. Omega? Best of both worlds. Omega with a V? Best of every world.. and no need for me to even consider an S-Class.
    Last edited by CMiatso DaBang; 06-09-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-09-2019),rougeriver (06-09-2019)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Cadillac ATS AWD V6

How long have I been saying the same thing old friend? Since our AWCC days?Its not just the reviewers. Here we are on a forum.. where people know that the Euro makers are not only flawed, but very often worse in certain executions, but the very same posters would rather BS themselves and then U and I, into believing that some how.. some way.. the Mercedes ****ty plastic is better than the Cadillac ****ty plastic. And maybe it is GM's fault as well. My CTS-V has door panels that are in no way hard plastic on the bottom.. soft and supple covered in "leather." But why didn't they do the same with the CT6? Why are they inconsistent in pushing forth the perfection that they are so capable of? They have the capability to decimate the competition.. but I believe I know why they don't do it consistently.. they believe it will be wasted. Think about the fact that they built the absolute best lux sports sedan on the planet in the Gen 3 CTS... and people still tried to nit pick it to death.. going so far as to say that it wasn't worth $46K while a 5Series was worth $51K. IN WHAT WORLD? Have U ever driven or been in a 5series? No freaking way.. Hell.. I would have said the Chevy SS was a better car than it.. fit, finish, and damn sure engineering.. as in my crazy messed up world.. I believe still to this day.. that GREAT ENGINEERING is engineering that WORKS reliable. I don't know if U remember when BMW drove me to Cadillac and I purchased my '05 STS. That was after 2 months of a brand new M5 constantly having me on the phone with roadside assist.
    I didn't know you had trouble with BMW. I do remember your troubles with the Toyota Camry V6 that turned oil into sludge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 69gtsdart View Post
    Its a Great CUV that should be a Buick instead.
    It's fine as is,.. as a Cadillac, arguably a solid choice for people attracted to the Buick Encore but wanting something a bit larger and more upscale..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-09-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Cadillac ATS AWD V6

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    I think Mercedes just announced an AMG A class FWD/AWD variant with a 419HP four cylinder, so GM is being absolutely spanked in this department.
    This engine:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...cylinder-m139/

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Cadillac ATS AWD V6

granted.. and I agree on the tarnishing to a degree. Part of the tarnishing was simply not catching up with what the public wanted.. remaining a perceived old mans luxury with no sporting edge brand, while the Germans were elevating themselves into the hybrid Sport Lux that the younger Americans wanted. Even I didn't want what my dad loved in his old Brougham. It was a boat.. it had a LT1 in it yeah.. but hit a corner to hard and U might flip the thing. EFF that. When the Sigma platform arrived I knew I was a potential Cadillac customer. Alpha arrived and I had the handling of a Vette in a Cadillac Sport Lux package. Omega? Best of both worlds. Omega with a V? Best of ever world.. and no need for me to even consider an S-Class.
    These platforms are why I started purchasing Cadillacs. For decades, American marques were notorious for stuffing powerful engines into mediocre platforms, adding very stiff suspensions, and calling it a day. Just like in athletics (squats and deadlifts), one must start with a great foundation. And, unlike years ago, the GM platforms are class leading in weight reduction.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rougeriver For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-09-2019),BlackGTP (06-09-2019),CMiatso DaBang (06-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rougeriver View Post
    I didn't know you had trouble with BMW. I do remember your troubles with the Toyota Camry V6 that turned oil into sludge.
    Yup. The Camry was a thing.. and in truth I really never posted much about my M5 because I was well known to be a staunch AMERICAN only car guy.. but it was also known that I had dabbled in BMW before.. Nissan.. Mazda.. as well as a classic Spitfire LOL... Toyota before the engine sludge issue and the legal issues concerning getting them to take it back I was less tarnished myself against foreign brands. Then the perception thing hit me.. and I simply no longer needed or subscribed to the illusion. The M5 debacle was a 2 month affair that they actually gave me almost no issue with taking back. I lost only about $1K on that buyback and only because the issues were documented well by them. And keep this in mind.. The M5 still remains my favorite of the German super-sedans.. I just wouldn't own one
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    It's fine as is,.. as a Cadillac, arguably a solid choice for people attracted to the Buick Encore but wanting something a bit larger and more upscale..
    They will most likely go to the Envision.. or if the tariff thing effects.. the new Encore GX. Believe me when I say that not many people walk into or out of a Cadillac dealer or Buick Dealer and say... "if they don;t have what I want.. I'm going to their sister brand.." They just don;t associate the two. Its one of the reasons why I really think that GM shouldn't, and I don't even believe they are these days, associate these brands. Let them all be independent unless they are gonna go hard and literally market them each as stepping stone brands

Thanks
    My Ride

granted.. and I agree on the tarnishing to a degree. Part of the tarnishing was simply not catching up with what the public wanted.. remaining a perceived old mans luxury with no sporting edge brand, while the Germans were elevating themselves into the hybrid Sport Lux that the younger Americans wanted. Even I didn't want what my dad loved in his old Brougham. It was a boat.. it had a LT1 in it yeah.. but hit a corner to hard and U might flip the thing. EFF that. When the Sigma platform arrived I knew I was a potential Cadillac customer. Alpha arrived and I had the handling of a Vette in a Cadillac Sport Lux package. Omega? Best of both worlds. Omega with a V? Best of every world.. and no need for me to even consider an S-Class.
    And I do agree - Cadillac does in many instances have the best! But they've failed on the marketing side to get the word out. So many people out there still laugh when I say I have a Cadillac - old Bob in an old mans car. I take the jokes (because they won't listen to me when I say my ATS is for all intents a sports car) and then they quickly change their mind when they see my ATS. But why is it 2019 and I'm still getting laughed at? That tarnished image is still there.

The engineers and designers are doing their job for the most part, but marketing is letting the whole division down.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    What’s really good about the XT4, is the Premium Luxury (Especially that white one) looks just as good as the Sport version. It would be a tough choice to make, as visually they both bring a very compelling and desirable wrapper to the Premium compact SUV/CUV party. Different, but equal.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information