GM Inside News Forum banner

7th Gen Camaro wish list.

19K views 127 replies 39 participants last post by  BlackGTP 
#1 · (Edited)
Honestly, at this point, there is no sign that GM is even working on a 7th Gen Camaro. But we all hope they'll come around. We all know the things that made the 6th Gen stumble.

What's our wish list for a 7th Gen?

I'll start:

1) Better, (MUCH BETTER) styling.

2) Slightly better utility.

3) Lose the needlessly high beltlines which leads to poor visibility and packaging.

4) Desirable and affordable lineup.

5) Z/28

#6 · (Edited)
1. For them to actually make one.

EDIT

Assuming it were to get made:
1. Clean-sheet design. I'm in agreement that retro needs to die and something sleek/modern needs to happen. To this point, work on outward visibility, cargo capacity (trunk access in particular)
2. Offer a manual.
3. ADVERTISE THE THING!!! Seriously, take a page out of the FCA playbook with their Charger/Challenger Hellcat ads.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons
#10 ·
To sdot's comment, we've seen the silhouette picture from GM's "electric" presentation, I think it's a foregone conclusion that it will be electric. I'm on board with that.

I think GM will nail the handling and performance (GM never has an issue with that), so without worrying about performance I will wish for exciting but mature/refined styling inside and out, I don't want to be seen in something that looks like a kids car.

I also want them to ditch the sitting in a tub experience, while I love the current gen Camaro, I'd never buy one because I hate sitting inside one, so much so I'd never buy one.

I'd also like AWD as an option. I know several of you will consider that sacrilege, but think of it this way - the more buyers the Camaro can attract makes it more likely the Camaro will be around for years to come. AWD will help attract more customers, rwd is non-starter for me and many in the snow belt.

Have a high end interior available, something on par with what the C8 looks like. Make it a stand alone option, if someone wants a base model with the smallest batteries, but wants a really nice interior, make it available. If someone is willing to pay a few extra thousand for a nice interior, take their money!

And learn from their past mistakes - as mentioned, ditch the tub effect. Also make the rear seat usable and possibly up the trunk size - maybe make it a hatchback like the Camaro used to have in past generations.

#11 ·
Update the Avista...I'll buy it!

#14 ·
This might be a controversial comment, but is it time to reexamine what we want a Camaro to be? Meaning the original pony car equation doesn't really work anymore - cheap car with a big engine. Cheap and big engine don't seem to go together anymore. I almost feel like the V8 Camaro's of today are for older people and the younger generation has moved into vehicles like the WRX. Maybe GM should redefine the segment... Maybe going electric will do that, but maybe looking at it with what younger folks want in an affordable package at the same time....

However, I suspect it is to late for the upcoming generation of electric Camaro - it's probably so far along in the design process that it is to late to change it materially. We'd be looking at influencing the generation after.

#16 · (Edited)
I have no problem with an eCamaro. I still think an Avista with a Gen2 influenced front clip would be stunning!

Reactions: BlackGTP
#15 · (Edited)
My speculation is as follows: the fact that GM invested in tweaking the Alpha platform for CT4/CT5 means we’ll see one more gen of ICE Camaro. I thought the Caddy Society sketch of an imaginary CT4 convertible looked great, something along those lines for a new Camaro works for me:

http://cadillacsociety.com/2020/03/10/we-render-the-cadillac-ct4-v-convertible/

—manual tranny a must;
—modern interior;
—maybe a tad bigger but not a clone of the heavy bloated Challenger;
—yes better visibility and lower belt line.

Just a few thoughts.

Reactions: buildacariwant
#25 ·
The 6th Gen wasn’t perfect but the Camaro team out did the Vette and V-Series teams hands down. We will probably see a lightly reworked version of the 6th for the 7th. Lightly meaning mostly cosmetic. Much like what GM is doing with the Slade in offering separate Ice and EV versions under the same name. We will probably see the same with the Camaro.

#31 ·
The Camaro should be a touring 4 seat coupe similar to the BMW 6 Series, but without the astronomical price. Either produce it with realistic rear seating space for adults, or make it a two seater. Go with just three trim models--LT - 4 cylinder turbo engine; RS- 4 cylinder twin turbo engine; and z-28 - 6 cylinder twin turbo.

#32 ·
1. Styling with a lower beltline. I think this is the one factor above all which has hurts sales compared to the 5th gen and compared to the Mustang.

To me, it all starts and ends with this. Make it a great looking car again and it will sell. That's all it really needs.

But also:

2. Make the back seat at least somewhat usable. Even if it means making the car a little bigger, make the back seat bigger. Not Challenger big, but bigger.

3. An EV version. Not a Mustang Mach-E. The same car with electric propulsion.

Reactions: richmond2000
#39 ·
Time to get all our heads out of the sand. The Formula of the Pony car is well past working in today’s market.

Cheap performance based on economy cars is no longer possible. Kids today are losing love of performance and vehicles in general.

Today trucks and Jeeps are where most are going. They are cheaper and easier to fix up. They can be used for more than just hauling A$$. The performance markets are all targeting these models today. Just look at SEMA and what the show is focusing on.

Right now the Camaro is at risk coming back unless they do something drastic. Ford is trying to make the Mustang live but sales are no better.

You can add more room, you can put out new styling and you can add all the power you like but you still need 100k units to remain viable and none of these will fix that.

GM designers and program manages want performance models but the market is in a massive decline.

People want reliable, affordable, efficient and safe cars. In a day where 300 hp is average people are fine with the power they have.

Keep in mind we the enthusiast are now in the minority.

Sorry for the harsh realities but it is time to stop pretending that GM messed up the Camaro. Everyone else is seeing the same volumes and all have been in decline.

#44 ·
I had a chance to drive a 2020 BMW M2 coupe recently, which is a little smaller than the Camaro. I had no issues fitting in it or seeing out of it. Most of the 6th gen Camaro's complaints about interior packaging, outward visibility and awkward design, can be traced back to Ed Welburn's infatuation with a needlessly high beltline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.