2020 Camaro LT1 and SS. New Front fascias and lower priced V8 - Page 13

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 2020 Camaro LT1 and SS. New Front fascias and lower priced V8

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 2,204 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Re: 2020 Camaro LT1 and SS. New Front fascias and lower priced V8

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    I went looking for a Formula in '01 and they were impossible to find. As it was had a hard time finding a non-WS6 car because I didn't want to pay for hood and wheels. Ended up with the NHRA Edition car (1 of 143). But for '01 and I'm pretty sure '02, WS6 production exceeded plain T/A production (and far exceeded Formula production).
    98-02 Formula Production was only about 3,000 cars IIRC.

ACtually I was wrong. Around 7,000 by my quick math. I had a 2000 Formula M6 that was fun to track down in 2007. I looked VERY VERY VERY hard to find a hardtop option but they just didnt exist. Almost ended up with a Purple 98 and they only made 27 of them. Guy sold it the day before I was scheduled to look at it.

http://www.transamworld.com/1998-200...kdowns-new.pdf
    Last edited by bballr4567; 05-08-2019 at 01:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by chris442 View Post
    Actually, the T56 was an extra cost option over the 4L60E, IIRC, $695. The total sticker was less on the manual because there was no gas guzzler tax vs. $1400 on the automatic. The automatic had such poor economy because all GTOs came with a 3.46 gear. F-bodies and C5s with the 4L60E came with a gear ratio under 3 with the option for something like a 3.15, not sure off the top of my head.
    Oh yeah, that was how that worked. All I remembered was the manual transmission GTOs cost less than the autos overall, but I forgot about the extra cost trans coinciding with the GG tax getting knocked off.

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Yup!!! Its a real thing when one says that GM is exclusive in getting called out on BULLCRAP that most manufactures do as well day to day. Its so bad that many people actually know every GM platform, and can tell U that the ATS is really just a lowly Camaro.
    I don't feel that the car platform idea is as easy to correlate to the truck platform with regards to GM. The whole "Cadillac using a lowly Chevy engine" argument just can't & doesn't fly for the Escalade vs. the ATS. The ATS (& Caddy's cars & CUVs) get presented as plush, more luxurious, & sometimes more performance oriented than a Chevy (or Buick) on the same chassis. But, what we've seen more of is Cadillac using exclusive engines, even when sharing platforms. I don't think I've heard many (if any) people complain that their 2000-newer Cadillac shares a chassis with a lower cost GM vehicle. On the other hand, Cadillac makes no effort to hide the fact that it shares a chassis with the Tahoe. And that goes for every Escalade ever built. Sure, the exterior design looks different, but check out the doors & body panels that can't be easily swapped. Body lines match exactly. At least the cars use different panels all over. But again, I've not heard anyone complain that they paid for a swanky Tahoe. And the first Escalade had no option but to use the standard "Chevy" small block V8. Every Escalade since has used the top V8 that was used on the new Silverado that debuted a year before. In my opinion, if it comes from GM, the engine just needs to meet a certain level of build quality, performance & fuel efficiency.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    Oh yeah, that was how that worked. All I remembered was the manual transmission GTOs cost less than the autos overall, but I forgot about the extra cost trans coinciding with the GG tax getting knocked off.

I don't feel that the car platform idea is as easy to correlate to the truck platform with regards to GM. The whole "Cadillac using a lowly Chevy engine" argument just can't & doesn't fly for the Escalade vs. the ATS. The ATS (& Caddy's cars & CUVs) get presented as plush, more luxurious, & sometimes more performance oriented than a Chevy (or Buick) on the same chassis. But, what we've seen more of is Cadillac using exclusive engines, even when sharing platforms. I don't think I've heard many (if any) people complain that their 2000-newer Cadillac shares a chassis with a lower cost GM vehicle. On the other hand, Cadillac makes no effort to hide the fact that it shares a chassis with the Tahoe. And that goes for every Escalade ever built. Sure, the exterior design looks different, but check out the doors & body panels that can't be easily swapped. Body lines match exactly. At least the cars use different panels all over. But again, I've not heard anyone complain that they paid for a swanky Tahoe. And the first Escalade had no option but to use the standard "Chevy" small block V8. Every Escalade since has used the top V8 that was used on the new Silverado that debuted a year before. In my opinion, if it comes from GM, the engine just needs to meet a certain level of build quality, performance & fuel efficiency.
    I'm never talking about the mainstream per se.. they are often oblivious. Ask a BMW CUV driver if their model is FWD or RWD.. I'm talking about the "enthusiasts.." even the casual ones. Been on Jalopnick, Autoblog, Autonews.. GMI etc lately?
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears. Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

I only read Jalopnik on occasion. And I'm here, but I hardly ever take anyone else's opinion into consideration when I'm forming my own opinion.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Mary seems to be taking a page out of the FCA playbook. More power to the people literally. Although I prefer the 392 for its animal aggression in relation to the LT1 the new V8 trim level is a very nice package for just under $40,000.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chris442 View Post
    Actually, the T56 was an extra cost option over the 4L60E, IIRC, $695. The total sticker was less on the manual because there was no gas guzzler tax vs. $1400 on the automatic. The automatic had such poor economy because all GTOs came with a 3.46 gear.....
    The GTOs also carried a lowly 4 speed automatic, compared to the manual's 6 speeds.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

ZQ8
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Correct.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    I'm never talking about the mainstream per se.. they are often oblivious. Ask a BMW CUV driver if their model is FWD or RWD.. I'm talking about the "enthusiasts.." even the casual ones. Been on Jalopnick, Autoblog, Autonews.. GMI etc lately?
    I consider myself an enthusiast and if the Camaro LT1 wasn't front wheel drive I'd buy one in a second.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (05-10-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks

Not saying that negativity about the Camaro exists here on the forum but I have noticed something puzzling. The "Challenger outsells the Camaro" thread garnered far more comments than this one.

We all know the weak spots with the Camaro AND know the main ones won't/can't be addressed until the next generation. So then, I feel the positive moves that have been made with the 2020 model should be analized as much as the negative ones have been for several years.

For example, exactly what color of Rally/Rallye Green are we going to end up with? Will red seat belts clash with my interior color? Will a 10 speed automatic provide a noticeable performance boost for the V6? And probably the most important question is whether the new LT1 option will shake the Camaro out of it's sales doldrums and boost the car back into a solid number two?

Enquiring minds want to know.
    Last edited by IROCNROL1; 05-11-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Not saying that negativity about the Camaro exists here on the forum but I have noticed something puzzling. The "Challenger outsells the Camaro" thread garnered far more comments than this one.

We all know the weak spots with the Camaro AND know the main ones won't/can't be addressed until the next generation. So then, I feel the positive moves that have been made with the 2020 model should be analized as much as the negative ones have been for several years.

For example, exactly what color of Rally/Rallye Green are we going to end up with? Will red seat belts clash with my interior color? Will a 10 speed automatic provide a noticeable performance boost for the V6? And probably the most important question is whether the new LT1 option will shake the Camaro out of it's sales doldrums and boost the car back into a solid number two?

Enquiring minds want to know.
    I personally feel that the LT1 Camaro will shake a couple more sales out of the tree,but I doubt it will push the Camaro back into the number 2 spot. There are just those outstanding couple of issues with the Camaro that I feel are holding it back.

I will say however, that the LT1 Camaro has increased my intrest in the Camaro. As Bballlr4567 has said GM/Chevy has made a Formula Camaro which I think is really farking awesome,but I am still not of a fan of the looks of this vehicle..Interior packaging I could care less about,trunk space too,but the gunslit window problem and Transformers/69 "inspired" Camaro theme makes it a no go for me.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    I personally feel that the LT1 Camaro will shake a couple more sales out of the tree,but I doubt it will push the Camaro back into the number 2 spot. There are just those outstanding couple of issues with the Camaro that I feel are holding it back.

I will say however, that the LT1 Camaro has increased my intrest in the Camaro. As Bballlr4567 has said GM/Chevy has made a Formula Camaro which I think is really farking awesome,but I am still not of a fan of the looks of this vehicle..Interior packaging I could care less about,trunk space too,but the gunslit window problem and Transformers/69 "inspired" Camaro theme makes it a no go for me.
    I''m guessing it will be more than a few. I've owned three Camaros (67, 72, 88) and of course they all had V8s. I decided I would get one more but the Gen 4 left me cold and I felt the Gen 5 was designed and produced in too much of a hurry and thus had too many compromises.

Although he was completely wrong, I do understand why Al O thought the Gen 6 would be a hit. Lighter, better platform, somewhat better interior, and the same design theme that was a big part of the Gen 5's success. The theme was taken too far (and too long) though and led to a disaster.

Still, it was my only option though, because progressing age precluded me from waiting patiently for the Gen 7 that we all know will be perfect. However, option packaging basically meant the V8 costs 8 grand more than the V6. That's too much for me to pay for 2 more cylinders. I decided to settle for the V6 that would out accelerate all my prior V8s anyway.

I found myself gravitating toward a 2019 because of the improved infotainment system and the tail lights. I kid you not. I didn't like the 2 dimensional flat ones on the 16 to 18.

Next problem(s)? The Mustang turbo 4 has a 10 speed automatic yet the Camaro V6 was still stuck with an 8 speed. That irked me. Also, green (especially dark green metallic) is by far my favorite car color. So what happened? GM offered a 10 speed and green paint on the 2020. Goodbye, 2019. 2020 sounds way cooler anyway. Yes, this is how my twisted mind works.

But then GM screwed up my plans by offering the LT1. A V8 at a much more reasonable price and to me at least, a better looking nose. So, I'm currently in stasis.

Oh, well.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread Information