6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  mbukukanyau 
#1 ·
What's it gonna be?

GM says competitive for the market.

Then this:
Tweet from the show floor:

CARandDRIVER
Chevy Camaro ZL1 to start around $47,000
Now when comparing to the original 1969 ZL1 that sold for $7,200 and many returned to the manufacturer due from it being too expensive what does that mean in todays dollars?
Well $7,200 adjusted for inflation, using inflation calculator, would be just shy of $43,000 in 2010 figures.
My how things have changed. Back then people just weren't sucking them things up and now they are paying that for 1/2ton gas pickups. Then add $20K to a 1 ton diesel truck.

Final pricing should be interesting....

#3 ·
Four wheel independent suspension
ABS brakes
Air bags
Rack and Pinion Steering
Fuel injection
Active handling
6speed manual transmission
20 inch lightweight wheels and tires (22 lbs less unsprung weight than the SS Model)
Magnetic ride control
solid chassis to increase torsional rigidity
5 year 100 thousand mile warranty
and of course over 550hp 550lb/ft of torque.

Simply amazing that it can cost so little.

Whatever the final pricing from the manufacturer is going to be...

I still look forward to the 6th generation smaller M3 sized camaro Z28.......but this 5th generation is amazing..

GM has done an excellent job with this new product offering..

I look forward to hearing what its "ring" time is as I look forward to hearing how it fares in next years Car and Driver Lightning lap....

Should be impressive to say the least.

#5 ·
Woodie whatever it ends up to be ...47 or over 50...its chump change for what kind of performance vehicle the buyer is going to get...

IMO What a great sports coupe GM has brought us!

#12 ·
GT500 range. People had the same panic attack when the Camaro was first going to show up. V8's were gunna cost 40k, V6 was gunna be starting at just about 30k, and it was gunna go no where because it was "late to the party" whatever that means.

I expect 50k. Offers way more stuff thent he GT500, so I expect it to be a big more expensive then the GT500. Opens room for a Z28.

#13 ·
A few bucks one way or the other isn't going to matter...I still would like to see the pricing at 44,900 base price and then move upward with various options....ie..heated seats etc..but it seems thats not going to happen..

Its probably going to be a fully loaded vehicle with a choice between leather or microsuede steering wheel, seat inserts etc...

50 large is probably the number...(although car and driver did think it was going to be 47 grand)

No matter what....OVER 550 hp and over 550 lbft of tq is really an amazing achievement....along with magnetic shock systems, IRS, 22 lb lighter 20inch rims and tires..

This car is going to blow owners minds away when they hammer it either on the street or hopefully the track..

The CTS V coupe is an amazing vehicle and this new ZL1 is very close if not better in many aspects..

For the guys who pay cash a few bucks over or under 50 grand isn't going to matter and for the guys who take out loans ....so the payment will go on a little longer (or be a few bucks more)

I still think the 31 grand 426 hp Camaro SS is a hell of a deal.....

Slap a 8 grand supercharger kit on it and have a blast....I think Edlebrock offers a new kit with a drivetrain warranty too...(for those on a budget not a bad way to go either) although you'd be missing the Magnetic ride control and possibly those cool lightweight 22lb reduction in unsprung weight which is HUGE!

Just for those that are not into dropping 50 k...there are always cool alternatives...

#14 ·
...I still would like to see the pricing at 44,900 base price and then move upward with various options....ie..heated seats etc..but it seems thats not going to happen..

Its probably going to be a fully loaded vehicle with a choice between leather or microsuede steering wheel, seat inserts etc...
Typical GM anymore, only offer it fully loaded. Would like to see it start as a base also and let the owners decide. If you wanted it for performance you wouldn't want the heated seats and can do without leather seating. My preference would be not to have 20" rims/tires. I'm sure you could find forged alloy wheels in the 18" range that have similar weight savings.

As for track use how about an optional 4pt chrome roll bar?

Don't recall if they said where this ZL1 is going to be assembled?
Is it going to be done on the regular assembly line or pull a SS off and send out to the likes of ASC like they did with the GNX?

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.