Automobile magazine compares camaro ss to new mustang that's all of 72 lbs lighter!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automobile magazine compares camaro ss to new mustang that's all of 72 lbs lighter!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 1,006 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Automobile magazine compares camaro ss to new mustang that's all of 72 lbs lighter!

Where are all the mustang guys who whined ad nauseam about how heavy the 5th camaro ss was compared to the ford gt now?

Seems like car to car the mustang gt is all of 72 lbs lighter in its latest generation...

I never thought it mattered much either way but man did those mustang guys go nuts with the overweight pig slurs....

72 pounds is the difference in this latest generation..

Is weight not a big deal any more? Now that your beloved mustang weighs about the same?

I dig the new mustang gt....just wonder how the crow tastes.... (Kidding)
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 10-16-2014 at 06:42 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (10-16-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 1,006 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: Automobile magazine compares camaro ss to new mustang that's all of 72 lbs lighte

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Automobile magazine compares camaro ss to new mustang that's all of 72 lbs lighte

Base V8 coupes with manual transmissions are 3705 –vs- 3908. That’s a 203 lb delta. The article even mentioned they compared a premium GT which weighs more. So as a Ford fan, I see no crow to be eaten. What I do see, is an opportunity for the Mustang to be quicker yet, if someone would apply an apples to apples comparison.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
    Base V8 coupes with manual transmissions are 3705 –vs- 3908. That’s a 203 lb delta. The article even mentioned they compared a premium GT which weighs more. So as a Ford fan, I see no crow to be eaten. What I do see, is an opportunity for the Mustang to be quicker yet, if someone would apply an apples to apples comparison.
    Any word on when the GT350 will make an appearance?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

The bigger brakes and other bits on the Track Pack add more weight too...much of which is standard on the SS.

Thanks

The debate has never really been about weight or looks or horsepower or fuel economy or anything other than that Mustang-lovers will always love Mustangs and Camaro-lovers will always love Camaros. They each latch onto whatever advantage (perceived or real) that one has over the other and they flaunt it. Buy which ever one you want and enjoy the hell out of it. I really don't care if you like the new and beautiful Mustang or the bloated and ugly Camaro. It makes no difference to me. I'm on the fence about the two. If you prefer the original pony car over the mere copycat, that's fine with me. If you aren't impressed that it takes only 4.9L to create 435HP but it takes a whopping 6.2L for Chevy to eke out a measly 426HP that's your choice and I respect it. Can't we all just get along??
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T'Cal For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (10-17-2014),Speedjerk (10-16-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Its amazing how all the Mustang lovers have dis-appeared for the hills

Banned
    Thanks

The reaction on Mustang6G is like the watching the 2003 Cubs. Some are cancelling orders. Will Ford ever be able to catch up without making an Alpha equivalent? Even if they start now, S550 has the deck stacked against it.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 761 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by free_energy0 View Post
    The reaction on Mustang6G is like the watching the 2003 Cubs. Some are cancelling orders. Will Ford ever be able to catch up without making an Alpha equivalent? Even if they start now, S550 has the deck stacked against it.
    I looked up that site and found a 20 page thread on the recent 1LE vs GTPP comparo, it's been pretty interesting reading.
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

On a side note, Randy Pobst can drive, I wonder if he is still with Volvo or he has returned to SCCA.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Where are all the mustang guys who whined ad nauseam about how heavy the 5th camaro ss was compared to the ford gt now?
    Seems like car to car the mustang gt is all of 72 lbs lighter in its latest generation...
    I never thought it mattered much either way but man did those mustang guys go nuts with the overweight pig slurs....
    72 pounds is the difference in this latest generation..
    Is weight not a big deal any more? Now that your beloved mustang weighs about the same?
    I dig the new mustang gt....just wonder how the crow tastes.... (Kidding)
    It tastes .....like chicken! No, No. Make that Bacon!

Thanks

Define apples-to-apples, in this case.

First of all, the 2SS only weighs about 30lbs more than the 1SS, so 'loaded' vs 'not loaded' won't make too much of a difference in model weights. The 1LE is around 3860lbs as well. Cost, yes, that would be much closer, but removing the performance pack options from these two cars, $6k is a significant difference. The same style of upgrades were performed on each car (springs, sway bars, monotube shocks, advanced cooling, etc), but it seems as though GM did a much better job of selecting parts and specs, as the 1LE package is a significant upgrade over the regular SS, where the FRPP is a decent upgrade over the regular GT.

Second, the base weight doesn't include the optional performance equipment, like the larger brakes, heavier shocks, heavier sway bar, strut bar, added coolers, etc. 100lbs isn't going to net the Mustang 1.5 seconds on a 1:23 lap. Similar tires will help (this is a 'track package', after all). This definitely leaves room for a 'BOSS' model, but it will have to be much, much faster than a stock GT to justify the price difference to a 1LE.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I think people are going overboard on the weight loss thing. GM has been reducing mass because their cars and trucks were grossly overweight, which isn't true for alpha products, and going forward many of their vehicles.
    In the Mustang/Camaro class, the cars are near the right weight, especially when people want power, style and performance. The weight is about right. If you don't want the power and performance, buy a Sonic or Spark!

Back!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Its amazing how all the Mustang lovers have dis-appeared for the hills
    No disappearing, just not paying as much attention to a war that doesn't even rate as a skirmish anymore. Sales of both models are well off historical numbers and not just because the market has evolved. As a long time Mustang fan I'm very disappointed in the new Mustang in many ways, but then I've really been disappointed in the Mustang for quite some time so that isn't new. Does that mean I think the Camaro has won? No, in fact the Camaro is a bigger offender in many of the areas that the Mustangs lets us down than is the Mustang. The cars have gotten too big, too bland stylistically, too isolated from the driving experience, and too plain boring. Higher skidpad numbers in a Camaro that almost nobody will ever drive beyond 7/10 don't change any of that, and a faster Nurburgring time isn't what will fix either car.

When one of these two companies really starts taking this market as seriously as it deserves I'll probably start chiming in again in meaningful amounts, until such a time I'll likely not have very much to say and, IMO, both sides of the equation will continue to lose. There is no winner here for those of us who really love ponycars.
    Last edited by syr74; 10-17-2014 at 05:47 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syr74 For This Useful Post:

nruggiero (10-17-2014),Z284ever (10-17-2014)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC KarFan's Avatar
    Thanks

I think we all have certain curb weights to performance vehicles based on what we read and our own personal automotive experiences. When judging the 5th Gen Camaro from my ownership of 4th Gen F-bodies I felt the car was a lot heavier than it should be. However the industry has changed and the 5th Gen for example is a truly modern vehicle from all aspects over the 4th Gens and while 3350-3600 kinda fits the idea of what a 2+2 pony car weight should be but that's changed. We are asking a lot more of our cars today and want our cake for a good price and want to eat it right now. Modern stiff structures, safety features, crash worthiness and interiors done in nice materials add a lot of weight from the muscle car era and the 80-90's rebirth of the performance pony cars.

Unless we see a shift in vehicle construction like Ford has done with the aluminum 2015 F-150 it's going to be a battle against the heft. Although I am encouraged at the lowering costs of lighter high strength steel and some carbon fiber applications that may be able to make their way into pony car price points in a few years. Maybe Gen 7...

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information