2014 ZL1 6SP Manual with Remote Start Component?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2014 ZL1 6SP Manual with Remote Start Component?

Walking
    Thanks

2014 ZL1 6SP Manual with Remote Start Component?

Hi All,

I just took delivery of my 2014 ZL1 yesterday. It's a 6 speed manual transmission. On the windshield behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side of the vehicle is this rectangular black box that runs from side to side lengthwise. Some people in another forum have suggested this is a Remote Start component. If this is the case I can't help but wonder why it is in my vehicle given it is a 6 speed manual transmission and factory remote start will not work? Was this a mistakenly installed component? If so I can't help but wonder if other mistakes were made during production? Any insights would be great!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0373.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 711 Posts

Re: 2014 ZL1 6SP Manual with Remote Start Component?

A lot of times (pretty much always) a car will come with items that are of no use for that particular level of equipment. It is a great deal cheaper to install just one covers-everything harness, and use it in all cars. Engineering, building, scheduling, and installing the correct harness out of 500 potential choices of option combinations is a pretty ridiculous waste of money. They try to keep it down to as few harness setups as possible. In the best case, only one. All car companies do this.

But in your case, you still need it. I belive it is a receiver module which is used for remote start among other things. It is also for door locks. You probably have those.
    Last edited by CaptainDan; 12-05-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks CaptainDan. This must be a change for 2014. My 2012 and 2013 SS both have remote keyless entry and do not have this on the windshield. Both are also 6 speed manual. My first thought was maybe the G-Force sensor since that is specific to the ZL1.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNite View Post
    Thanks CaptainDan. This must be a change for 2014. My 2012 and 2013 SS both have remote keyless entry and do not have this on the windshield. Both are also 6 speed manual. My first thought was maybe the G-Force sensor since that is specific to the ZL1.
    Not to mislead you here, I am only guessing as to what it is for. But I've seen that same module (in the same place) listed for '12 and '13 on ZL-1s. Also on the '12 V6 Camaros. I couldn't find LS3 vehicles before '14 (which has it) to check. I actually don't know exactly all of the module's uses, just that it is listed as an RF receiver for "access/starting security". I really don't know for sure.

I would think a G sensor would want to be mounted low in a car, and towards the center. There is a "yaw" sensor there.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

Walking
    Thanks

Understood. I appreciate the insights. Maybe it will have a keyed power wire I can tap for my rear view mirror mounted radar detector .

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Hard for me to see but I would think that is Onstar

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Hard for me to see but I would think that is Onstar
    Negative. A quick search of Camaro5 tells me it's the remote start stuff.

The 1SS, 1LT, and LS models don't have it. They must not bother to remove it when a manual transmission is ordered.

From a jealous fellow Camaro owner...CONGRATS ON THE PURCHASE!!!
    Last edited by All Star; 12-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to All Star For This Useful Post:

DarkNite (12-05-2013)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

The ZL1 is awesome. The black box on the upper windshield on the passenger side of my corvette is on star. My autistic son asks me all the time what it is......

I took a shot with the grainy photo that it was similar ...still it sounds like you camaro owners know more about the car than me...

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by All Star View Post
    Negative. Onstar crap is in the top of the trunk. A quick search of Camaro5 tells me it's the remote start stuff.

The 1SS, 1LT, and LS models don't have it. They must not bother to remove it when a manual transmission is ordered.

From a jealous fellow Camaro owner...CONGRATS ON THE PURCHASE!!!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I lied, the Onstar module is actually located behind the glove box on the Camaros.

In case anyone was wondering:

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/do...ve-onstar.html

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

When 2008 Focus's first came out. I ordered 1 for Stock, and failed to add Cruise Control. The Boss was PO'ed.

I did some research and found by changing the Steering Wheel (for the buttons) and turning it on with the Tech's computor. Cruise will be installed.

Again in 2011 I won a (Very Specific) Goverment Tender. 4 pages of specs Cruise wasn't on it. The truck arrived and installed it Customer Pay. Which was the same price as Factory Ordered.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNite View Post
    You own 3 Camaros?

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements