Where Are The Chevy Cruze Owners Going For Next Vehicle?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Are The Chevy Cruze Owners Going For Next Vehicle?

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,049 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Where Are The Chevy Cruze Owners Going For Next Vehicle?

Automotive News
    November 14, 2019

After Ford Motor Co. and General Motors ended production of compact cars, many former car owners continued to purchase sedans instead of switching to crossovers and SUVs, according to an Edmunds analysis.

So far in 2019, 23 percent of former Chevy Cruze owners and 31 percent of former Ford Focus owners bought a car from a competitor, the online car sales website said in a report Wednesday.

"Ford and GM made a strategic decision to prioritize profit at the expense of market share," Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds' executive director of insights, said in a statement. "While this may set them up better in the long run so they have the cash they need to fund electrification and autonomy, there's no question that decision is giving their competitors an edge now."

Former Cruze owners' loyalty declined from 57 percent in 2016 to 45 percent in 2019.

The study showed 21 percent of Focus and 22 percent of Cruze trade-ins go toward the purchase of a compact car, many of those cars being Honda Civics or Toyota Corollas.

"The number of Focus and Cruze owners trading their vehicles in and buying a small Jeep [Compass or Renegade], Hyundai Kona or Elantra, Kia Forte or Subaru Crosstrek have all risen in the last three years," the study said.

Still, 21 percent of Cruze owners and 18 percent of Focus owners traded in their cars for the corresponding brand's crossovers or SUVs in 2019. Edmunds analysts said the cost increase of a small crossover or SUV between $4,000 and $8,000 more than a small car puts pressure on younger and "price-sensitive" buyers.

"The catch is, if Ford and GM don't have affordable options for shoppers who are buying their first or second new car, it could be much harder to win them over later," Caldwell said in the statement. "Catching consumers early and keeping them in the family has been a basic tenet of automotive brand strategy for decades.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-14-2019),nadepalma (11-14-2019),SierraGS (11-17-2019),steve333 (11-14-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,049 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: Where Are The Chevy Cruze Owners Going For Next Vehicle?

"The catch is, if Ford and GM don't have affordable options for shoppers who are buying their first or second new car, it could be much harder to win them over later," Caldwell said in the statement.
    GM was built on Chevy owners going to Pontiac...Pontiac owners going to Oldsmobile...Oldsmobile owners going to Buick, and then Buick owners going to Cadillac.

What happens if GM no longer attracts a first-time buyer due to lack of an affordable product? At least Ford was prepared with the new (imported from China) Focus. GM needs a new compact car - possible a merger between the Spark and Sonic, imported of course - but available at your neighborhood Chevy dealer.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-14-2019),big swede (11-14-2019),Citation84 (11-15-2019),dannyg (11-14-2019),YesImOld (11-17-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,307 Posts

I think not having a Cruze is a very stupid decision.

But apparently a lot of the Cruze owners aren't opting for another small car. They're going for CUVs. Not surprising. And Chevy does have choices there in Trax and Equinox. And isn't another on the way? Trailblazer?
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-14-2019),Evo69 (11-14-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Chevy Cruze Premier

Well Im a cruze owner and wont be buying another CUV - I already have one and dont need 2 or 3. So my next purchase will be outside the GM family. Kia's are looking pretty good from a price/options perspective.

Having said all that Im planning on keeping my Cruze for 6-7 years. Who knows maybe Mary will declare GM a Small Car Technology Company and rush out to build the next Cavaruze electric..........
    ------------
    Goochman

2018 Chevy Cruze Premier RS
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

10. The Following User Says Thank You to goochman For This Useful Post:

YesImOld (11-17-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    GM was built on Chevy owners going to Pontiac...Pontiac owners going to Oldsmobile...Oldsmobile owners going to Buick, and then Buick owners going to Cadillac.

What happens if GM no longer attracts a first-time buyer due to lack of an affordable product? At least Ford was prepared with the new (imported from China) Focus. GM needs a new compact car - possible a merger between the Spark and Sonic, imported of course - but available at your neighborhood Chevy dealer.

I'm not buying a Chinese or Korean GM car, I'm sorry. If I want one I will buy a Hyundai.

And there are a lot of people that feel the same way. GM has permanently lost a lot of customers, just like when they killed Pontiac.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unkillsam For This Useful Post:

Citation84 (11-15-2019),orville (11-15-2019),tripowergto Jan2003 (11-14-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
    I'm not buying a Chinese or Korean GM car, I'm sorry. If I want one I will buy a Hyundai.

And there are a lot of people that feel the same way. GM has permanently lost a lot of customers, just like when they killed Pontiac.

What's the difference between a Hyundai and a Korean GM car? Is it your opinion of quality or do you just have an issue with GM having Korean operations? Just wondering.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post

But then, they don't care. At least they didn't care enough to not make this decision. Same results either way, huh?
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 661 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I think not having a Cruze is a very stupid decision.
    I think it's THE stupidest decision GM has made. So many lost customers, especially entry level buyers. If kids aren't looking at GM when they buy their first small car, why will they look at GM later when they need an SUV or truck?

My daughter is looking at Honda Civic and Hyundias for her first car, I have nothing to suggest from GM. All the kids are driving Korean and Japanese brands and they will likely stick with those brands. If they want to support local manufacturing, Honda and Toyota make small cars in Ontario and GM is closing Oshawa. No wonder GM market share is dwindling!
    Last edited by kool1; 11-14-2019 at 08:34 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (11-14-2019),Citation84 (11-15-2019),dannyg (11-14-2019),Evo69 (11-14-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

What's the difference between a Hyundai and a Korean GM car? Is it your opinion of quality or do you just have an issue with GM having Korean operations? Just wondering.
    Hyundai's Korean cars come with better warranties, for starters.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Z Fury For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (11-16-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    I think it's THE stupidest decision GM has made. So many lost customers, especially entry level buyers. If kids aren't looking at GM when they buy their first small car, why will they look at GM later when they need an SUV or truck?

My daughter is looking at Honda Civic and Hyundias for her first car, I have nothing to suggest from GM. All the kids are driving Korean and Japanese brands and they will likely stick with those brands. If they want to support local manufacturing, Honda and Toyota make small cars in Ontario and GM is closing Oshawa. No wonder GM market share is dwindling!

It's really sad, but I'd be the same if someone asked me for a first car recommendation from GM. If they wanted a first car that was a CUV, then I think you could legitimately suggest a GM vehicle. But the younger buyers that I know still seem to look for compact cars as a first vehicle.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

You didn't ask me but I could take a stab at the question if I may.

Whether quality and design are as good with a GM import or not (I'm thinking not) the perception is there. Hyundai/Kia have worked hard to raise their standards but GM hasn't done anything similar with it's imports. Putting a Chevy badge on one doesn't count.

Also, GM wasn't making money hand over fist with the Cruze but they WERE making a profit. Thinking that buyers would just switch to a more expensive GM CUV or what amounts to an imported rebadge rather than a name brand import car is a bit arrogant I would say.

And then there's this. Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Hyundai. Kind of has a ring to it these days.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

Citation84 (11-15-2019),Evo69 (11-14-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

Im sure some who considered a Cruze went for the Trax given how that CUV is selling. Current Cruze owners looking to step up went for the Equinox... and the Toyota RAV4.
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    ...GM needs a new compact car - possible a merger between the Spark and Sonic, imported of course - but available at your neighborhood Chevy dealer.
    Agreed, but Id suggest merging the Sonic/Cruze and keeping the Spark separate as a true tiny runabout. Something a tad bigger than a Sonic, hatch only if that helps, the new 3cyl engines, excellent MPG, manual transmission option. Hybrid option would be great but unlikely the way GM seems to be abandoning Voltec.

I would trade my 2015 Sonic for such a vehicle, never ever ever for a Trax/Encore/HRV, and as the article indicates Im not alone.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-14-2019),ksr (11-14-2019),orville (11-15-2019)

4gm
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I mentioned this in another thread. Couldn't GM have easily made a "new" Cruze out of the existing chassis and engine but with the Volt's body? If that were possible, that's what I would have done. I think it would have bought them a few years in the marketplace.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4gm For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-14-2019),buildacariwant (11-14-2019),Evo69 (11-15-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    You didn't ask me but I could take a stab at the question if I may.

Whether quality and design are as good with a GM import or not (I'm thinking not) the perception is there. Hyundai/Kia have worked hard to raise their standards but GM hasn't done anything similar with it's imports. Putting a Chevy badge on one doesn't count.

Also, GM wasn't making money hand over fist with the Cruze but they WERE making a profit. Thinking that buyers would just switch to a more expensive GM CUV or what amounts to an imported rebadge rather than a name brand import car is a bit arrogant I would say.

And then there's this. Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Hyundai. Kind of has a ring to it these days.
    I don't really have a problem with GM importing cars from its Korean operations, if it's a good vehicle. And if they want to call it a Chevy, fine. But, I haven't seen anything from them to stands up well to Hyundai/Kia. Hyundai and Kia both make very appealing products.

I don't care if something is a "rebadge" when it's not available in any other form. Some people use that term to deride cars like the Regal. "It's just an Opel rebadge." When I can only buy the original in Europe, why should I care that it's a "rebadge." It's unique in this market. And it's a "rebadge" of a GM product (well, Opel used to be anyway).
    Last edited by ksr; 11-14-2019 at 09:48 AM.

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information