Tesla, Audi Cut EV Prices: Why Does Chevy Bolt Have $8,500 Rebate?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesla, Audi Cut EV Prices: Why Does Chevy Bolt Have $8,500 Rebate?

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,185 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Tesla, Audi Cut EV Prices: Why Does Chevy Bolt Have $8,500 Rebate?

2020 CHEVROLET Bolt EV
    $8,500 Customer Cash

Automotive News
    August 6, 2020

Audi has cut the entry price of its first battery-electric crossover, the e-tron, by $8,800 for the 2021 model year as the German luxury brand begins expanding its EV lineup while facing criticism that the e-tron's range is significantly less than rival Tesla.

Audi said it would lower the price of the e-tron compact crossover to $66,995 including shipping, from $75,795 for the 2021 model year. The brand lowered the base price by $8,900, but increased the delivery charge year-over-year from $995 to $1,095.

In addition, Audi said it has increased the e-tron's EPA-estimated range from 204 to 222 miles, "through optimized drive system hardware and software adjustments." A new e-tron Sportback derivative that went on sale this summer has an EPA-estimated range of 218 miles.

Audi dealers have complained that the e-tron's expensive price point and original range made it a tough sell against Tesla and EVs coming from other luxury automakers. Through the first six months of 2020, Audi sold 2,872 e-trons in the U.S., which was up 57 percent from compared with 2019, the model's initial year in the U.S. market.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,185 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: Tesla, Audi Cut EV Prices: Why Does Chevy Bolt Have $8,500 Rebate?

Q. When is an $8,500 incentive not an $8,500 incentive?

A. In states (like New York) that apply sales tax to incentives.

Thus the $8,500 offer is only worth $7,745. The only reason I can think of for the high price and high incentive is to overcome the fact that the $7,500 federal incentive no longer applies in Bolt transactions. The high GM incentive may be a way to placate the Bolt buyer.

In addition - The much higher list price is a negative when consumers are shopping online.

GM needs to cut the price of the Chevrolet Bolt for MY21.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (08-09-2020),eklauss (08-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    ... GM needs to cut the price of the Chevrolet Bolt for MY21.

Yup.

As soon as the first Ultium battery-powered GM car hits the showroom floors, the Bolt's technology will be obsolete.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,470 Posts

Bolt needs the $8500 to sell...otherwise no one in their right mind would take it over the Model 3:

My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Al63240 (08-06-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Q. When is an $8,500 incentive not an $8,500 incentive?

A. In states (like New York) that apply sales tax to incentives.
    That accounting magic is not the reason why, but, another one is. Selling something while providing an incentive allows GM to realize greater revenue on their balance sheet at the time of sale--something much more important than sales tax. That higher selling price is then reflected in the many other ways GM sells and allows their consumers to purchase their vehicles.

That incentive could be, for example, the amount given to you instead of an advertising agency to provide you with yet another TV commercial for a Bolt that no one ever watches anymore...

People have to understand that it is always much better to increase your revenue than it is to save on your "tax" costs at the time of sale... The era of cutting costs to make money is (or shall I say should) be over.
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,718 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Does GM really want to sell the Bolt? Really? They don't and it'll continue to languish on the sales charts too.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Bolt needs the $8500 to sell...otherwise no one in their right mind would take it over the Model 3:

If I were in the market for a BEV (I am not) and the choice is between the Model 3 or the Bolt--I'd take the Bolt.

Why? Although the electronics in Tesla are far and away better than anything in the market, the fit and finish and what I sit in, see, and what Mother Nature punishes is much better on the Bolt. Although, I will also say that the Bolt also has good electronics and wouldn't worry about it not being as good as Tesla's. Finally, the Model 3 has a hugely high profit margin over the Bolt (which probably doesn't even make money) and that price should be lower. If it were lower than I would say hands down Model 3 over Bolt.
    Last edited by GMOwner; 08-06-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GMOwner For This Useful Post:

61BelAir (08-06-2020)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Except people who drive the cars back to back. Now I'm not saying the Tesla might not be technologically better overall, and personally I DO like Telsa and would probably pay more money for model Y than any other electric now, but let me bring up something...

Last summer there was an event held in Niagara Falls (just north of Buffalo) that I attended. Basically you signed up online and you got to test drive a variety of Electric vehicles. The cars were brought by their own owners who wanted to promote them...and you could drive around a controlled loop (and a little bit on the roads) to test them.

My wife and I were able to take a spin in Tesla model 3 and S, a Nissan Leaf and a Bolt.

-The 3 and the S were the fastest by far. Crazy Fast. But they didn't drive the best. They both had a harsher, bumpier ride.

-The Bolt was our favorite of all of them. Best visibility by far, easiest to get in and out of...more 'traditional' controls than the Tesla..and still pretty darn good performance (although not to the level of the Teslas) and a smoother ride.

If you are going to equate the best car 'technically' for the money...then maybe its the Tesla. If you are buying 'image', then maybe its Tesla. Performance? Tesla. But if you really drive them back to back...take all things into account as a daily driver...and the Bolt might be the better choice.

When I think even now of which one I would want...I go to Tesla in my mind....but make me drive them back to back again, and I might have a hard time picking the Tesla over the Chevy.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

09W (08-09-2020),1958carnut (08-08-2020),Cobaltss_King (08-08-2020),eklauss (08-06-2020),jzchev28 (08-06-2020),Neanderthal (08-06-2020),Rumpole (08-06-2020),TruckMan (08-06-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 452 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    Except people who drive the cars back to back. Now I'm not saying the Tesla might not be technologically better overall, and personally I DO like Telsa and would probably pay more money for model Y than any other electric now, but let me bring up something...

Last summer there was an event held in Niagara Falls (just north of Buffalo) that I attended. Basically you signed up online and you got to test drive a variety of Electric vehicles. The cars were brought by their own owners who wanted to promote them...and you could drive around a controlled loop (and a little bit on the roads) to test them.

My wife and I were able to take a spin in Tesla model 3 and S, a Nissan Leaf and a Bolt.

-The 3 and the S were the fastest by far. Crazy Fast. But they didn't drive the best. They both had a harsher, bumpier ride.

-The Bolt was our favorite of all of them. Best visibility by far, easiest to get in and out of...more 'traditional' controls than the Tesla..and still pretty darn good performance (although not to the level of the Teslas) and a smoother ride.

If you are going to equate the best car 'technically' for the money...then maybe its the Tesla. If you are buying 'image', then maybe its Tesla. Performance? Tesla. But if you really drive them back to back...take all things into account as a daily driver...and the Bolt might be the better choice.

When I think even now of which one I would want...I go to Tesla in my mind....but make me drive them back to back again, and I might have a hard time picking the Tesla over the Chevy.
    One factor is the lack of Tesla dealerships in many areas - outside of major, metropolitan areas. There are Chevrolet dealers everywhere (for service), and that may play a factor with buyers.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-08-2020),eklauss (08-06-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 574 Posts

I suspect that $8500 Bolt rebate is only available in CARB states, which are also most likely to charge sales tax on MSRP, not final actual cost like many non-CARB states.
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,718 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post

I think a lot of it has to do with a daily driver. The Bolt is terrible for anything more than that due to it's recharge time and range. I wish I could drive them back to back!

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    One factor is the lack of Tesla dealerships in many areas - outside of major, metropolitan areas. There are Chevrolet dealers everywhere (for service), and that may play a factor with buyers.
    Tesla still offers mobile service as well. You can just have them come to your place of work or home and get the repairs done if needed.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,470 Posts

Wow...I guess here in GMI land is the only place where the Bolt is preferred to the 3. I just cant fathom dropping 40k for a subcompact when there are other more appropriately sized/styled options out there. I've driven a subcompact on the highway for almost a year in my Versa...it sucked.

The only thing IMO you can legit say that the Bolt has over the 3 is build quality and support after the sale...Tesla still has some work to do there but with their corporate structure you're less likely to deal with Shyster service reps that are prevalent in dealer networks.

Re: ride harshness in 3 vs Bolt...I guess that is because the 3 is a sport sedan. Think of it like this: CT4 vs Spark, the CT4 is going to be a little harsher riding than the Spark because of its sporting intent.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 08-06-2020 at 02:49 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

bballr4567 (08-06-2020),CJH (08-07-2020),DeeAgeaux (08-06-2020),emh (08-10-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 3,940 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Bottom line, Audi’s lack of range is a testament to American engineering. Cannot even keep up with the much smaller older Bolt and Tesla

Thanks
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 793 Posts

Wow...I guess here in GMI land is the only place where the Bolt is preferred to the 3. I just cant fathom dropping 40k for a subcompact when there are other more appropriately sized/styled options out there. I've driven a subcompact on the highway for almost a year in my Versa...it sucked.

The only thing IMO you can legit say that the Bolt has over the 3 is build quality and support after the sale...Tesla still has some work to do there but with their corporate structure you're less likely to deal with Shyster service reps that are prevalent in dealer networks.

Re: ride harshness in 3 vs Bolt...I guess that is because the 3 is a sport sedan. Think of it like this: CT4 vs Spark, the CT4 is going to be a little harsher riding than the Spark because of its sporting intent.
    But look at that little happy blue face in the picture above!...Wouldn't you want to walk out of your house,job or nearby brothel to see that happy little face smiling at you? Asking, "Where do we go next Bob?!."

Did you know that spelling Bob backwards is Bob?...and Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar?...sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,117 Times in 2,122 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

No one in their right mind would ever buy a Bolt for that money.
    The car looks like a dinky commuter car, based on a perception that "electric cars need to look like dinky commuter cars."
    That's GM's historic ineptitude.

Bolt drives like a dinky commuter car. Because that's what it is.
    Model 3 drives like a sports sedan. Because that's what it is. And it just happens to have a 322 mile range... and have AWD... and outruns a 911.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-08-2020),CJH (08-07-2020),emh (08-10-2020),sdotjeezy (08-07-2020),V-Car (08-07-2020)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information