Several 2020 Corvette C8 Owners Are Claiming Their Frunk Pops Open While Driving

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Several 2020 Corvette C8 Owners Are Claiming Their Frunk Pops Open While Driving

Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 650 Posts

Several 2020 Corvette C8 Owners Are Claiming Their Frunk Pops Open While Driving

Carscoops
    BY BRAD ANDERSON |
    POSTED ON AUGUST 5, 2020

A number of 2020 Corvette Stingray owners are reporting that the frunks of their cars are flying open while driving – which certainly is not the best, or safest, experience you want to have behind the wheel.

Reports of C8 Corvette frunks opening unexpectedly seem to have started back in June over at the Corvette Forum. At the time of writing, this thread had reached 39 pages, with several owners claiming that their hoods popped up while driving. This has prompted a number of Corvette owners to rig up simple carabiners that will make it impossible for the frunk to open.

As noted by Corvette Blogger, the C8 has three different positions that the hood can sit. It can be either fully closed, half-open, or fully open. The hood can be opened by the key fob or pressing a button on the driver’s door.
    We have stumbled across a handful of videos captured by the car’s Performance Data Recorder showing the frunk popping up. However, some 2020 Corvette owners have highlighted the various warnings the car gives off when the hood is open, saying that it’s simply not possible for the hood to open up by itself, with YouTuber Chevy Dude saying in one video that it is “100% user error.”

NHTSA complaints

Nevertheless, there have been eight (at the time of writing) separate complaints about the issued filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), where various owners have detailed their experiences of their frunks opening up and causing damage.

Here are some of the complaints filed with NHSTA over the past couple of months:

“I proceeded to drive down the canyon and within 15 seconds I heard the front hood latch click/thump (same sound you hear when you press the button to pop the hood) right before i saw the hood fly up and heard a snap. Sudden loss of visibility almost caused my car to go off the cliff as i couldn’t see the turn,” wrote one owner in a complaint filed August 2, 2020. He added that a GM spokesperson “blamed it on user error”.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 3,940 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Several 2020 Corvette C8 Owners Are Claiming Their Frunk Pops Open While Driving

Well, it’s a recall for a fix

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,575 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Re: Several 2020 Corvette C8 Owners Are Claiming Their Frunk Pops Open While Driving

Why would they make something without a safety catch to prevent this ?

Thats really very poor engineering and design
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (08-05-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post

From the look of it, there is a catch like any other hood. My question is why even let the car go to "D" or over 10mph if the frunk is open and unlatched.

But what I really think the problem is...is with the emergency manual override, something could be pinching the cable causing it to unlatch. Just my educated guess. I don't think it is due to drivers pulling off with it open because of the notification on the dash, but I could be wrong.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 793 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post

It probably saved a nickel or two.

Besides..who's going to go fast in a Corvette? 90% of them just sit in a driveway with a cover on them for 220 years because the owner is waiting for it to quadruple in price.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 452 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    Carscoops
    BY BRAD ANDERSON |
    POSTED ON AUGUST 5, 2020

I wonder if the owners are sure their vehicle frunks are “flying open”. It seems as though the frunk lid would open, not the frunk?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,575 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    From the look of it, there is a catch like any other hood. My question is why even let the car go to "D" or over 10mph if the frunk is open and unlatched.

But what I really think the problem is...is with the emergency manual override, something could be pinching the cable causing it to unlatch. Just my educated guess. I don't think it is due to drivers pulling off with it open because of the notification on the dash, but I could be wrong.
    I got this from the link that seems to refute that?

The complaints go all the way back to April 17, 2020. “While driving the 2020 Corvette at a low speed, the front hood flew open and impaired my visibility. This is Chevrolet’s first attempt at a mid-engine car. So the front hood is actually a trunk. They failed to engineer the appropriate safety latch features into the hood that would prevent this from happening. Hoods are required to have a secondary latch that must be physically operated to open completely,” noted another complaint.
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 1,333 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Joys of a first year model vehicle!

Why there's no safety latch is a huge question. There needs to be one immediately. And somebody needs to be fired. Either there's a bug in the SW that is causing this, or there's not a lockout in the SW to prevent it from happening, or a HW engineer designed a piece of crap latch. Or all three. But any way this is a big screw up for GM.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (08-06-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,048 Times in 2,611 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Dammit GM, You need to quit frunking around.

Thanks

It seems Mary was at a meeting with her friends on Wall St when the frunk meeting in Detroit was happening. GM priorities.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    Joys of a first year model vehicle!

Why there's no safety latch is a huge question. There needs to be one immediately. And somebody needs to be fired. Either there's a bug in the SW that is causing this, or there's not a lockout in the SW to prevent it from happening, or a HW engineer designed a piece of crap latch. Or all three. But any way this is a big screw up for GM.
    Because the customer can pop the trunk with their fob, when they have their hands full.? And it will just rise up, a latch would stop that. Just a guess. As far as why its happening, a short in a wire rubbing some where, that is releasing it. Check the harnessing for rubbing somewhere.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 574 Posts

Could it just be the "key" fob button getting bumped in their pockets?
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 754 Posts

Sounds like somebody made a stupid decision. Hoods have secondary latches, which have to be PHYSICALLY (with your hand) unlatched to open. And it's not because there's a motor under that hood, it's because it's on the front of the car, where an opened hood (while driving) presents an extreme hazard.

And no, the convenience of opening your "frunk" with the fob should NEVER override that concern.
    Last edited by CaptainDan; 08-06-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainDan For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (08-07-2020),TruckMan (08-06-2020),V-Car (08-06-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (08-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tripowergto Jan2003 View Post
    There's a video of a guy, obviously some sort of IT QA Engineer by trade that ran through all scenarios...fob doesn't work if car is in drive and if frunk is in open 1, or 2 position there's a notification in the gauge pod and the car gets limited to 82mph as a precaution. Like I said the problem could be with the manual release getting tripped inadvertently or some sort of short circuit triggering the full frunk release...itll get figured out.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripowergto Jan2003 View Post
    My 2016 LaCrosse would do this. For some reason, the trunk release button sat really high in the fob, and occasionally, I would come out to an open trunk in the morning. Fortunately, I generally dispose of the previous day's corpses at night, so no harm, no foul.
    1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation

21. The Following User Says Thank You to vanshmack For This Useful Post:

tripowergto Jan2003 (08-06-2020)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information