Review: The Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD is Good on Paper, But...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review: The Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD is Good on Paper, But...

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 662 Posts

Review: The Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD is Good on Paper, But...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/...WaP?ocid=ientp

Pros:

Diesel engine/10A transmission combo
    Endless trailering features
    Big payload and towing limits

Cons:

Gas engine/6A transmission combo
    Stiff ride even for an HD
    Middling interior

How well a vehicle performs on paper depends entirely on which piece of paper you're looking at. Check the new Chevrolet Silverado HD's spec sheet, and you'll see a strongly competitive new truck. Check our test data, though, and not everything lines up.

Lay out the Silverado HD's powertrain, payload, trailering, and pricing numbers next to those from Ford and Ram, and things look pretty good. Chevrolet invested its money where it matters most, underneath the sheetmetal. A stronger frame increases payload and tow ratings for every model, an all-new gas engine finally makes competitive numbers, an all-new 10-speed automatic makes the most of the already potent diesel engine, and an unmatched suite of trailering apps and cameras makes a strong workhorse stronger.

Read about Car, SUV, and Truck of the Year contenders and finalists HERE.

Push the press release aside, though, and take a look at the test results. They're a mixed bag, to say the least. Starting with the good news, the diesel-powered 3500 (represented here by the GMC Sierra 3500 HD) is substantially quicker both while empty and pulling 20,000 pounds than the equally new Ram 3500 HD diesel. Likewise, it stops shorter from 60 mph unladen and is more nimble in an emergency lane change. Most crucially, it needs less time and distance to accelerate from 35 mph to 55 mph uphill while towing 17,730 pounds. If you're like most dually buyers and towing is an integral part of your job, these are critical differences.

They're counterbalanced, however, by the lack of performance from the gas-powered Silverado 2500 HD. Any way you look at it, the 6.6-liter gas V-8 2500 is just slow. Whether empty, with a 10,500-pound trailer on flat ground, or accelerating uphill from 35 mph to 55 mph with a 10,150-pound trailer, the truck always feels like it's struggling.

This comes in stark contrast to the Ram 2500 HD Power Wagon and its 6.4-liter gas V-8, which makes slightly more power but way less torque. Despite outweighing the Silverado, the Ram is noticeably quicker. What's more, being a Power Wagon, the Ram's max tow rating is compromised by its off-road suspension. Whereas the Chevy was towing 75 percent of its maximum, the Ram was at its limit and still quicker.

Blame likely falls at the feet of the mildly updated six-speed automatic. Why Chevy chose to pair this transmission with its all-new gas V-8 instead of opting for the hot new Allison 10-speed automatic the diesel gets is beyond us. We've been waiting 20 years for Chevy to replace the 6.0-liter gas V-8, only to have it hobbled. With the Ram 2500 already outperforming it and the just-announced Ford F-250 Super Duty coming with its own all-new gas V-8 and 10-speed automatic, the gas-powered Silverado 2500 is DOA competitively.

We also have to acknowledge that the Silverado HD shares the lackluster interior of the Silverado 1500 we lambasted last year. Although all the same criticisms still apply, from the uncomfortable seats to the cheap materials and the barely updated design, guest judge and former Truck Trend editor-in-chief Mark Williams is quick to point out heavy-duty truck buyers are more than willing to trade opulent interiors for capability when it comes time to work.

Underwhelming performance from one half of the powertrain department is bad enough in a truck meant for work first and coddling second. Add in an uncomfortable and outclassed interior, and you're saddled with a truck that'll only attract the most faithful customers. We expect open-minded shoppers likely will float away to Ram and Ford, where the compromises are far less evident.
    Last edited by InCogKneeToe; 11-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to InCogKneeToe For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (11-13-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member smith7629's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Silverado Midnight Z71

Re: Review: The Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD is Good on Paper, But...

I donít think these people really work their trucks and likely dream of pleasant rides in soft-touch suppleness that hug their skinny jeans on their way to pick up a few mulch bags at Home Depot. Ever get in your truck with mud and gravel caked on your boots, muddy gloves and tools all about the cab? Thank you for your opinion though. Next!
    Last edited by smith7629; 11-13-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smith7629 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019),mbukukanyau (11-13-2019),posaune (11-14-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC, LB Duramax

Cant argue about the gas HD. Why they put the 6 speed behind it is really a head scratcher. If there was a engine that can benefit from more gears its a gas HD. I have to believe that the ten speed will show up soon. Pairing the 6.6 with a 3.73 rear end is the death blow. Considering how long it took to bring the 6.6 to market, it should be a benchmark combo. It clearly is not, the shootouts to come when the 7.3 releases are going to be very bloody. I am sure Ford is chomping at the bit for the pull up the IKE to hit the internet.

The Duramax will as typical more than holds its own against the statistically more powerful competition. This is the position that the Dmax has been in practically every year, yet it lands either first or sometimes second in the shootouts. With all the towing tech that GM brought to this segment, combined with impressive towing specs and performance, GM will grab diesel marketshare in the HD portion of the market. Not so much in the gas segment.

The interior assessment is as stated by Smith, ridiculous. The interior is comfortable and well laid out. It does not contain the same level of bling that Ram brings, fair enough, but it is far from uncomfortable. These guys don't know this HD market.....clearly. I work out of mine everyday, its an '18 but not significantly different interior wise from the 2020. I have zero complaints, a TV screen for info system is not important to me, nor is it wanted. Especially when it controls everything and doesn't work..l like the Ram version.
    2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1 AGM/2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1/1LE on order.
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC LB SRW Duramax
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksss For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019),Evo69 (11-14-2019),jzchev28 (11-15-2019),ranchman (11-13-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,743 Times in 3,267 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by ksss View Post
    Cant argue about the gas HD. Why they put the 6 speed behind it is really a head scratcher. If there was a engine that can benefit from more gears its a gas HD. I have to believe that the ten speed will show up soon. Pairing the 6.6 with a 3.73 rear end is the death blow. Considering how long it took to bring the 6.6 to market, it should be a benchmark combo. It clearly is not, the shootouts to come when the 7.3 releases are going to be very bloody. I am sure Ford is chomping at the bit for the pull up the IKE to hit the internet.

The Duramax will as typical more than holds its own against the statistically more powerful competition. This is the position that the Dmax has been in practically every year, yet it lands either first or sometimes second in the shootouts. With all the towing tech that GM brought to this segment, combined with impressive towing specs and performance, GM will grab diesel marketshare in the HD portion of the market. Not so much in the gas segment.

The interior assessment is as stated by Smith, ridiculous. The interior is comfortable and well laid out. It does not contain the same level of bling that Ram brings, fair enough, but it is far from uncomfortable. These guys don't know this HD market.....clearly. I work out of mine everyday, its an '18 but not significantly different interior wise from the 2020. I have zero complaints, a TV screen for info system is not important to me, nor is it wanted. Especially when it controls everything and doesn't work..l like the Ram version.
    Price point, me friend, The buyers of the gassers do not care particularly about speed, they are more concerned about the price point..

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksss View Post

Nice to hear opinions from someone who uses a HD truck. The GM twins really give nothing up to the competition here, the lack of the 10A behind the gasser is really a head scratcher though. The GM diesels have always pulled better than Ford and Ram, I bet that trend continues. I do look forward to some Ford 7.tree tests though. Curious to see how it performs.

On the ***GMA*****Y site, there's an article how these HD's are selling extremely well. So, I'd like to take this negative article and "spin" it into a positive as consumers seem to be liking these things plenty. Poor me, I'm still stuck with my guzzling, underpowered, cam/lifter clacking 3/4 5.7 Ram, until the oil industry north of the border returns to even half its former glory there won't be a new truck in my future.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranchman For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019),jzchev28 (11-15-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The thing is the 6.6L/6 speed auto trans. is the standard, no-cost gasoline powertrain in the GM HD's. I think it should be compared to the 6.2L/6 speed auto trans. combination in the Super Duty, because that is still the standard no-cost powertrain in their 2020 models. GM does not offer an extra cost gasoline powertrain in their HD models (at least not yet...). And remember, the only reason Ford came out with their new 7.3L is because the needed an engine to replace their old V-10 in medium duty commercial trucks. Who knows, since GM is expanding into medium duty trucks, they (and Navistar) may need a larger gasoline engine for commercial trucks. And if so, maybe we will see in in GM HD pickups one day.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sierra12 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019),richmond2000 (11-16-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Price point, me friend, The buyers of the gassers do not care particularly about speed, they are more concerned about the price point..
    Too Bad GM will soak up any Savings. Even then, Price Point will go to Ford's 6.2L and 6R140 Speed Torque Shift.

The thing is the 6.6L/6 speed auto trans. is the standard, no-cost gasoline powertrain in the GM HD's. I think it should be compared to the 6.2L/6 speed auto trans. combination in the Super Duty, because that is still the standard no-cost powertrain in their 2020 models
    6.2L/6 Speed in their Fleet Models. 6.2L/10 Speed is Stanard in everything over a F250 603A.

Last edited by InCogKneeToe; 11-14-2019 at 09:03 AM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 2,496 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    Nice to hear opinions from someone who uses a HD truck. The GM twins really give nothing up to the competition here, the lack of the 10A behind the gasser is really a head scratcher though. The GM diesels have always pulled better than Ford and Ram, I bet that trend continues. I do look forward to some Ford 7.tree tests though. Curious to see how it performs.

On the ***GMA*****Y site, there's an article how these HD's are selling extremely well. So, I'd like to take this negative article and "spin" it into a positive as consumers seem to be liking these things plenty. Poor me, I'm still stuck with my guzzling, underpowered, cam/lifter clacking 3/4 5.7 Ram, until the oil industry north of the border returns to even half its former glory there won't be a new truck in my future.
    There were articles of the 1500s selling extremely well in the beginning too. How'd that turn out? GM is notorious for this. Get's great up front movement for a few months and then they just stall. The new HDs are pretty nice but they're right about the 6 speed and again, that's GM's MO.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems that 6 speed auto on the gasser may be a problem. Or is there some kind of reprogramming that may be needed? Glad that GM went straight 6 with the Duramax Diesel though, a genius move I wasn't expecting.
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evo69 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019),jzchev28 (11-15-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC, LB Duramax

I agree, the straight 6 Dmax in the half ton was a surprise. It appears from what I have seen so far, other than the low tow rating, it stakes up very well against the other half ton diesels. The timing belt located behind the engine has given some people something to complain about (which required pulling the tranny to replace).
    2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1 AGM/2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1/1LE on order.
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC LB SRW Duramax
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evo69 View Post
    Seems that 6 speed auto on the gasser may be a problem. Or is there some kind of reprogramming that may be needed? Glad that GM went straight 6 with the Duramax Diesel though, a genius move I wasn't expecting.
    Hey "Look, a Squirrel!"

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evo69 View Post
    IMO, it's all about the tuning. And my guess is the 'tuners' are handcuffed by corporate to squeeze a 1/2mpg out out of them. I have owned many of GM's 6sp, in 6.2 1500's, and many of my friends have owned 6sp in 2500's, etc... We all hated it, the 6sp that is. And we all have ditched GM over it. Then I get in my old 2001 1500HD 6.0 4sp, and love it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,216 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNJ View Post
    IMO, it's all about the tuning. And my guess is the 'tuners' are handcuffed by corporate to squeeze a 1/2mpg out out of them. I have owned many of GM's 6sp, in 6.2 1500's, and many of my friends have owned 6sp in 2500's, etc... We all hated it, the 6sp that is. And we all have ditched GM over it. Then I get in my old 2001 1500HD 6.0 4sp, and love it.
    What I missed the most about my 1996 Silverado was the 4-speed and the way the engine RPMs had to rev up high (3500-4500) to get through all the gears. You always got that feeling of power while you accelerated. Now, with all the added gears in transmissions, you only get to maybe 2500/3000 RPMs before the tranny shifts unless you really put your foot into it. So it's not only the shift quality, but the shift frequency that makes the new trannies unexciting.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,192 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post

There were articles of the 1500s selling extremely well in the beginning too. How'd that turn out? GM is notorious for this. Get's great up front movement for a few months and then they just stall. The new HDs are pretty nice but they're right about the 6 speed and again, that's GM's MO.
    How'd it turn out? Pretty damn well actually. Sales are up as well as profits.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 2,496 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    How'd it turn out? Pretty damn well actually. Sales are up as well as profits.
    Ehh...they're still lagging behind the gains of the other companies. Up is up though so good for GM.

Still doesn't explain why they thought throwing the 6 speed in there with the new gasser. Legitimate, who thought this would be a good thing?

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast