NHTSA Investigating Chevrolet Bolt Fires

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHTSA Investigating Chevrolet Bolt Fires

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 456 Posts

NHTSA Investigating Chevrolet Bolt Fires

The NHTSA administration has begun an investigation of the 2017 - 2020 Chevrolet Bolt model electric vehicles after three vehicle caught fire while parked and unattended: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...les/114270540/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: NHTSA Investigating Chevrolet Bolt Fires

Man, that is not good for the little piggies, hopefully for Chevrolet, there was tampering with the thing, but doesn’t sound like that’s the case.. perhaps a component that comes lose and shorts.

They have built close to 100K units since launch...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,755 Times in 1,339 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Reminds me of the growing pains that Tesla had a few years back when some of them were spontaneously going up in flames.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Yet still we march blindly forward to a future with no more ICE vehicles. This is the expected outcome. Like, a giant DUH. A scaled-up version of a cellphone or laptop fire.

In my garage, where there is still gasoline for mowers and snowblowers, it is idiotic to consider buying electric. Not buying. Not even close. The move is years premature, and there will be massive carnage for those too far ahead. Too bad all the wiser heads have left GM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

fastbal1 (10-16-2020),mbukukanyau (10-15-2020)

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 675 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    Yet still we march blindly forward to a future with no more ICE vehicles. This is the expected outcome. Like, a giant DUH. A scaled-up version of a cellphone or laptop fire.

In my garage, where there is still gasoline for mowers and snowblowers, it is idiotic to consider buying electric. Not buying. Not even close. The move is years premature, and there will be massive carnage for those too far ahead. Too bad all the wiser heads have left GM.
    Chill. There's no evidence EVs catch fire more often than gas cars. It's not that long ago that South Korea banned some BMWs from public roads due to engine fire risk.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-14-2020),Voltastic (10-15-2020),wallus13 (10-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 525 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

You're not concerned about the gallons of flammable liquid in your garage?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-14-2020),JimmyDiablo (10-14-2020),wallus13 (10-15-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,107 Times in 2,652 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Man, that is not good for the little piggies, hopefully for Chevrolet, there was tampering with the thing, but doesn’t sound like that’s the case.. perhaps a component that comes lose and shorts.

They have built close to 100K units since launch...
    Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Chill. There's no evidence EVs catch fire more often than gas cars. It's not that long ago that South Korea banned some BMWs from public roads due to engine fire risk.
    Yeah and as stated in mbukukanyau's post, this is three of the out of the stated "close to 1000,000 of them since launch". Caca happens but I don't see it as a trend.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (10-15-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Yeah and as stated in mbukukanyau's post, this is three of the out of the stated "close to 1000,000 of them since launch". Caca happens but I don't see it as a trend.
    I only see any NHTSA investigation as a positive - perhaps they and/or the vehicle manufacturer will determine a root cause for a safety defect and engineer a fix. Some investigations lead to a safety recall - which is done at no cost for the vehicle owner.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    I only see any NHTSA investigation as a positive - perhaps they and/or the vehicle manufacturer will determine a root cause for a safety defect and engineer a fix. Some investigations lead to a safety recall - which is done at no cost for the vehicle owner.
    Yeah, an investigation is an opportunity to improve on components and safety systems

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 Times in 1,536 Posts

Interesting..."investigations are welcome"..."3/100,000 isn't bad"...I wonder how the comments would read if "Bolt" was switched out for "Model 3" or "Mach E"
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

People don't have a damn clue about how tricky electric cars are. They're going to be fine under warranty but good luck trying to keep them going after 50,000 miles. Only dealers know how to work on them, and they lose value worse than gasoline cars. I've seen 3 year old Tesla Model S's with less than 30,000 miles for sale for $30,000 - ASKING price...... and this is a $120,000 car! That's worse depreciation than Mercedes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    People don't have a damn clue about how tricky electric cars are. They're going to be fine under warranty but good luck trying to keep them going after 50,000 miles. Only dealers know how to work on them, and they lose value worse than gasoline cars. I've seen 3 year old Tesla Model S's with less than 30,000 miles for sale for $30,000 - ASKING price...... and this is a $120,000 car! That's worse depreciation than Mercedes!
    I can get a 2018 Model S for $30k...where? I'd get one for that price.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

emh (10-16-2020),wallus13 (10-16-2020)

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    The Model S starts at $70k new, not $120k. Plus I'm guessing the 3-year-old cars you see for $30k are probably ones that have been in major accidents or have other problems.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    The Model S starts at $70k new, not $120k. Plus I'm guessing the 3-year-old cars you see for $30k are probably ones that have been in major accidents or have other problems.
    I'm calling bull.... if there is a 30k, formerly 120k 2017-2018 Model S for sale, I need to see where because like I said l, I'll ditch the Magnum and Mazda for a 30k P85D with only 30k on the odometer.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 10-16-2020 at 02:20 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I'm calling bull.... if there is a 30k, formerly 120k 2017-2018 Model S for sale, I need to see where because like I said l, I'll ditch the Magnum and Mazda for a 30k P85D with only 30k on the odometer.
    Lol, yeah. $120k in 2017/2018 would be like a P100D Ludicrous or something like that. Not going for $30k with 30000 miles (unless, like I said, it's a salvage or something like that).
    Last edited by emh; 10-16-2020 at 03:36 PM.

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information