NG Corvette Chassis Production Line Never Shut Down - Look For Quick Restart

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NG Corvette Chassis Production Line Never Shut Down - Look For Quick Restart

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,134 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

NG Corvette Chassis Production Line Never Shut Down - Look For Quick Restart

The New York Times
    May 7, 2020

But with a pandemic raging, a handful of General Motors workers have labored on — including several dozen at a plant in Bedford, Ind., that makes chassis for the Chevrolet Corvette, one of G.M.’s most iconic and expensive vehicles.

A G.M. spokesman, confirming the accounts of workers, said the factory’s continuing operation was aimed at reducing a chassis shortage and helping resume Corvette production more quickly once the company reopens an assembly plant in Bowling Green, Ky.

The spokesman said that the Bedford plant was running three shifts a day — with about 20 people per shift, down from about 250 hourly workers normally — and that the workers had volunteered for the assignment, at their usual wage.

The G.M. spokesman identified two U.S. facilities, aside from the Bedford plant, where the company had continued production: one in Arlington, Texas, where workers returned for about 10 days to finish building a sport utility vehicle before the plant changes over to a new model, which had previously been reported, and another in Lockport, N.Y., where workers began making parts this week to service existing vehicles.

Though it is unclear when Corvette assembly will resume, outside analysts have underscored the importance of the car — whose most recent model typically sells for $60,000 to $80,000 — to the company’s prospects.

A Morgan Stanley report in November predicted that Corvette sales would bring in roughly 2 percent of G.M.’s revenue in 2020, an estimated $3.3 billion, and put the car’s profit margin at 16.5 percent, about twice the company’s average in North America. (The analysts later revised their estimates to account for the pandemic’s impact.)

The Morgan Stanley analysts said the Corvette could be critical to G.M.’s longer-term strategy if the company could take advantage of the car’s brand name and customer loyalty in other lines of business, such as B.E.V.s, or battery electric vehicles.

Corvette is “more than a needle-mover for G.M.,” the analysts wrote. “We’re looking at the potential of a hypothetical Corvette brand expansion, into S.U.V. and B.E.V.s, as a way for G.M. to help fund the transition to electric.”

The report predicted that Corvette sales could increase to about 100,000 in 2029, from 40,000 this year, if the company developed a Corvette S.U.V. — a step other high-end sports car manufacturers have taken and one that a former G.M. vice chairman, Bob Lutz, has urged. (The company declined to comment on future vehicles.)

Since the Morgan Stanley report, however, the Corvette has faced a series of setbacks. After years in development, the newest Corvette Stingray was scheduled to begin assembly in December. But the car did not start coming off production lines until February, a delay that a company email to dealers attributed to last year’s 40-day strike. The email was posted on the website Corvette Forum.

By March, not long after G.M. began assembling the cars, demand proved so high that the company stopped accepting orders. It redirected new orders to the 2021 model, which the company said it planned to begin accepting in late May.

The G.M. spokesman said the shortage of parts from Bedford was a problem because they were used at a key point in Corvette assembly.

Two G.M. employees in Bedford, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about company operations, said the shortage had to do with errors during the new production process. The company spokesman attributed the shortage to the gradual ramp-up typical for the introduction of a new vehicle.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

eklauss (05-11-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,134 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: NG Corvette Chassis Production Line Never Shut Down! Look For Quick Restart!

one in Arlington, Texas, where workers returned for about 10 days to finish building a sport utility vehicle before the plant changes over to a new model
    Looks like the Job One changeover for the new BOF SUVs is being done during the downtime. Arlington may open with immediate production of the new models - Great News!!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

eklauss (05-11-2020),mbukukanyau (05-07-2020),tripowergto Jan2003 (05-08-2020),usa1 (05-08-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,471 Times in 3,611 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: NG Corvette Chassis Production Line Never Shut Down! Look For Quick Restart!

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Looks like the Job One changeover for the new BOF SUVs is being done during the downtime. Arlington may open with immediate production of the new models - Great News!!

I so want to check out the Yukon XL

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

Great news. if I hadn't seen a truckload of C8s last month I'd have to lump them in with unicorns. Hen's teeth, maybe? https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0223083601.htm
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,471 Times in 3,611 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Great news. if I hadn't seen a truckload of C8s last month I'd have to lump them in with unicorns. Hen's teeth, maybe? https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0223083601.htm
    "The mutant bird has severe limb defects and dies before it can hatch," explained Professor Ferguson, who is based in the University's Faculty of Life Sciences.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 533 Posts

Somehow a local friend took delivery of his C8 2 weeks ago despite PA pandemic shutdowns.
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tripowergto Jan2003 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (05-11-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    "The mutant bird has severe limb defects and dies before it can hatch," explained Professor Ferguson, who is based in the University's Faculty of Life Sciences.
    Which proves my point about rarity. Thanks.

Thankfully, the C8 will do a much better job of rising from it's ashes than the Phoenix. Specifically the Pontiac version of such. Ashes to ashes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-09-2020),mbukukanyau (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tripowergto Jan2003 View Post
    Somehow a local friend took delivery of his C8 2 weeks ago despite PA pandemic shutdowns.
    Congratulations to him. At this point I'm starting to wonder if GM will switch to 2021 models soon. Apparently hindsight isn't the only thing related to 20/20.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 518 Posts
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

I finally saw my first one up close last Sunday! Very nice in person!
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

Thanks
    Thanked 9,125 Times in 4,463 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Ironically, when test driving the CT4 last weekend I saw a C8 on the road, my dealer didn't even have any. Was my first time seeing one in real life! Spectacular!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,322 Posts

life sustaining businesses stayed open in PA, I have full confidence your friend would have died had he not been able to take delivery!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (05-08-2020),TruckMan (05-08-2020)

Thanks

Which proves my point about rarity. Thanks.

Thankfully, the C8 will do a much better job of rising from it's ashes than the Phoenix. Specifically the Pontiac version of such. Ashes to ashes.
    Don't you be dissin' my 'Bird!!

2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tripowergto Jan2003 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-09-2020),88Fiero (05-22-2020),BlackGTP (05-08-2020),eklauss (05-11-2020),mbukukanyau (05-08-2020),rockyspaw (05-08-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,294 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Anybody know how many new Vettes have been deliver this year? The 2020 model is going to be a very rare model the way things are going this year - especially if they start calling them 2021's before all the customer orders are delivered.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    Anybody know how many new Vettes have been deliver this year? The 2020 model is going to be a very rare model the way things are going this year - especially if they start calling them 2021's before all the customer orders are delivered.
    Supposedly GM produced just under 3000 before the latest shutdown.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 518 Posts
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Don't you be dissin' my 'Bird!!

NICE! 65 GTO convertible? Tri-Power?
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

25. The Following User Says Thank You to rockyspaw For This Useful Post:

tripowergto Jan2003 (05-08-2020)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information