Next Corvette Taking Evolutionary Design Path?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Corvette Taking Evolutionary Design Path?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

GMI receives some tidbits on the next Vette.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    November 8, 2011
    By: Nick Saporito

Chevrolet’s flagship performance car is always the subject to wild rumors and reports, particularly when an all-new version is just around the corner. As the iconic Corvette embarks on its transition from the sixth generation to the seventh generation model, rumors of split rear windows and radical new design themes have surfaced more than a few times. Despite the fanfare, it sounds like most of those rumors are just that- rumors.

Every “next” generation Corvette seems to have one huge rumor attached to it and for the C7 that has been the design trait of a split rear window. The spilt rear window was first seen on the 1963 Stingray and GM resurrected it for the Stingray Concept car a few years ago, leaving speculation to run wild that the unique trait would make it to production.

GMI has been able to confirm that the C7 will not have a split rear window, at least not as standard fare. We haven’t been able to confirm if such will be offered as an option, though it would seem that an entirely different rear window structure would be a costly thing to change.

The rest of the C7 exterior is said to be more European looking in nature, with an overall design that is described very much like today’s Corvette. Considering the car is residing on the same platform that today’s Corvette rides on, it is not terribly shocking that the design—initially—is sounding more evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Inside expect a heavily revamped interior design with much higher quality materials. The C7 was originally going to receive capacitive touch buttons similar to the recently announced Cadillac CUE system, however that has since been scrapped. Instead, the C7 will feature a unique version of GM’s latest infotainment, including a large center display in the gauge cluster.

Power for the new Vette will come from GM’s Generation V Small Block V-8’s. Despite reports claiming that the base engine will be a 5.5-liter, GMI continues to hear that the base engine will house a displacement of 6.2-liters. And as other outlets have already confirmed, the 2014 Corvette will have a seven-speed manual transmission.

The 2014 Corvette is expected to launch in mid-2013, with production commencing at GM’s Bowling Green, Kentucky assembly plant.
    Last edited by nsap; 11-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Next Corvette Taking Evolutionary Design Path?

Forgetting the nostalgia aspect for a minute, why would anyone want a split rear window? It hampers function, doesn't look very good on a modern design and is reminiscent of driving an Express or Astro Van. Hell, even the Astro Van eventually abandoned the split rear for the ugly dutch door to boost visibility.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Don't forget the actual buyer of this car, GM. Keep the knobs and buttons where it makes sense to a 55 year old about to splurge $50+ K. No Ford My Touch mistakes, please.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

With sales dropping, making this a C6 1/2 doesn't seem to make much sense. Don't look for folks to be trading in theirs for just an upgraded interior and some other doo-dads. I wouldn't.
    Last edited by DetroitIron; 11-08-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typo

Banned
    Thanks

Another "backbone and balsa" chassis update, more like C5 and 7/8s. I hope this generation is shortlived, and that they bring their A game for mid-engine clean sheet C8.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Ironghost's Avatar
    Thanks

So the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument will keep going a while longer. Nice to hear about a new interior.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

The interior is really the only thing they need to work on.

The next gen engines will take care of the power.

Just work on bringing up the quality of the inside and it's a win.

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 Times in 1,157 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Evolutionary = Snore

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blaksabb View Post
    Forgetting the nostalgia aspect for a minute, why would anyone want a split rear window? It hampers function, doesn't look very good on a modern design and is reminiscent of driving an Express or Astro Van. Hell, even the Astro Van eventually abandoned the split rear for the ugly dutch door to boost visibility.
    Amen to that brother! I lost a semi in my Astro rearview mirror!!!
    Forget World Peace....

Picture Yourself Using Your Turnsignal!!! Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    Evolutionary = Snore
    I don't know as I agree. The C6 was clearly an evolutionary C5, and I think it is a far more attractive car. The C5 always struck me as an ugly vehicle.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by free_energy0 View Post
    Another "backbone and balsa" chassis update, more like C5 and 7/8s. I hope this generation is shortlived, and that they bring their A game for mid-engine clean sheet C8.
    It is mid engined, just not rear/mid engined. I hope they keep it that way.
    Ed

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    Don't forget the actual buyer of this car, GM. Keep the knobs and buttons where it makes sense to a 55 year old about to splurge $50+ K. No Ford My Touch mistakes, please.
    John Philips had a great column about that gadget happy feature in the latest C&D.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    Evolutionary = Snore

Not true. The current Corvette is very nice looking. The Wide-Body iterations (GS, Z06, ZR1) are absolutely stunning. The WB Corvettes can easily stand up to certain exotics from Italy IMO, and certainly look better than any Porsche currently in production.

Where the C6 falls short to the European sports/super-cars is the interior materials. But then one has to still realize that the Corvette also sells for literally 1/2 the cost of a comparable performance Ferrari.

I think anyone worrying about the Corvette not looking magnificent in C7 form, simply hasn't been paying attention to Corvette generational changes over the years, or better yet Chevy generational changes over the years. The possibility of Ed Welburn putting out an "ugly or boring" Corvette is out of the question. Looking at the almost exotic styling of the Camaro will tell you that.

I would love to see the Corvette come in 4 models after the change:

A Grand Sport Model with 580HP (essentially taking the place of the current Z06)

A Z06 Model with 580HP but a stripper, track ready model with no nav, no CUE style system, and a basic am/fm/xm/mp3/cd player. 300lbs lighter than the GS

A ZR1 with 680HP

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 Times in 1,157 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by prowlerjc View Post
    I don't know as I agree. The C6 was clearly an evolutionary C5, and I think it is a far more attractive car. The C5 always struck me as an ugly vehicle.
    IMO: All of the Corvettes since the 1984 generation have just been homogenized variations of the 1968 model.

The 'vette needs a total design reinvention, similar in drastic measures as was done from the C1 to the C3. It's just become too much of a "safe" design.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I'd like to hear more about the genV V8. Nsap, what can you tell us? Thanks in advance!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information