GM Inside News Forum banner

New Chevy Trailblazer 'Cruzes' Into Dealerships

6K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  1958carnut 
#1 ·
Automotive News
July 13, 2020

By killing the Chevrolet Cruze last year and now the Sonic in a few months, General Motors is leaving itself with just two vehicles that start at less than $20,000. That includes the new Trailblazer, which aims to put Chevy on more consumers' radars by landing in one of the industry's fastest-growing segments: small crossovers.

The Trailblazer complements the Trax, which posted a 30 percent U.S. sales gain last year but is too small for some buyers, by giving Chevy a roomier option with a more mature look. And unlike the Trax, it was designed from the ground up with U.S. consumers top of mind.

"We're thinking the Trailblazers are going to catch on in a big way," said Paul Waatti, industry analyst at AutoPacific.

With a starting price of less than $20,000, "initially it might take away some sales from the Trax, but I think they can live side by side, like the [Buick] Encore and the Encore GX," said Waatti.

The base trim in many vehicles typically makes up only 5 to 10 percent of the volume mix, said Stephanie Brinley, principal automotive analyst at IHS Markit. But the accessible price point is an effective marketing tactic to draw more customers to the brand, she said. "It gives people a mindset to know when they can come in and start looking. It ends up being really important in terms of consumer shopping and making sure you are on consideration sets," she said.

Later this year, Chevy will launch advertising tactics that resonate with a younger cohort of buyers, said Bradford Franz, senior marketing manager for Chevy SUVs. But the price point has been one of the initial draws. "Being able to talk about the package that Trailblazer brings for under $20,000 was just an incredible sound bite to have," said Franz. "So we chose to capitalize on that."

A variety of options in the small-crossover segment have become crucial for Chevy after it discontinued the Cruze and continues to prioritize crossovers and SUVs over sedans.

"That's the way that buyers seem to be going at this point. The Cruze is gone, so this needs to work for Chevrolet," Brinley said.

AutoPacific forecasts 115,000 Trailblazers will be sold in 2022, compared with 95,000 HR-Vs.

See less See more
#2 ·
2021 Chevy Trailblazer: Lots of Show, Not Much Go. Chevy nails the Trailblazer's design and packaging, but it's let down by an underwhelming engine. Under the hood of every Trailblazer is a turbocharged three-cylinder engine. There must be some shame in a three-banger since Chevy has gone to great lengths to scrub all mentions of the phrase "three-cylinder" from its press and marketing materials. Buyers won't even find that phrase on the Trailblazer's dealership window sticker.
-Car & Driver magazine review.

Judging by the early reviews of the new Trailblazer, it has just one single mission on Chevy dealer lots: To earn EPA credits to move Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban units. If so, may it sell like crazy!!

#11 · (Edited)
CD has really declined. Their site is full of ass-kissing political stuff so I found this at MT:

The Trailblazer's entry-level 1.2-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine makes 137 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque, comes paired with a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT), and is only available with front-wheel drive. It is EPA-estimated to deliver 28 mpg in the city, 31 mpg highway, and 29 mpg combined—okay numbers that are matched or exceeded by some one-size-up, four-cylinder compact SUVs such as the more powerful Honda CR-V and even Chevy's own Equinox.

If you want more power and better efficiency, pick the optional 1.3-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine. It delivers 155 horsepower and 174 lb-ft of torque, and also comes paired with a CVT and front-drive. In that configuration, the Trailblazer is EPA-estimated to return 29 mpg city, 33 mpg highway, and 31 mpg combined. The bigger engine also unlocks the Trailblazer's all-wheel drive option, which swaps the CVT for a nine-speed automatic transmission. Unfortunately, AWD knocks the Trailblazer's fuel economy down two pegs, to less than the entry-level, front-drive 1.2-liter model, or 26 mpg city, 30 mpg highway, and 28 mpg combined.

Amongst its direct competitors, the Trailblazer's best fuel economy ratings are similar to those of the 2021 Kia Seltos (29 city/34 highway/31 combined mpg) and slightly better than other 'tweeners sized between the subcompact and compact classes. Those include the And the sleek and stylish 2020 Mazda CX-30, which tops out at 25 city/33 highway/28 combined mpg, as well as the 2020 Nissan Rogue Sport (25/32/28 mpg) and the 2020 Subaru Crosstrek (27/33/30 mpg, in non-hybrid guise).

Hyundai/KIA 1.6T puts out either 201HP/195TQ or or 175/195. But stock non-turbo OHC mills are peaky and put out more HP than TQ. So with both the motors turbos, Chibby will typically be up on torque. The corporate 2.0 at H/K puts out 147/132. I'll take the torque.

The Chibby 162 and 174 ft-lb numbers are not poor. That CD simply criticizes the car for using three-cylinder mills vs. four is a simpleton's argument. They also speak as if official EPA MPG numbers are Gospel. Real world is Gospel, EPA is EPA. Just put some numbers out, justify your position, knuckleheads.

Most customers won't know a three vs. a four just as most have no idea if their critter is FWD or RWD. Or if it's got a Hemi.

Reactions: eklauss
#3 ·
Pic looks pretty decent.

It is the new Cruze. This is what people want for entry-level these days. But I think they should still offer a car as well.

#5 ·
It looks good....not as good as the Buick version..but it still does look good.

Most reviews have stated power is 'good enough' to get around town..but underwhelming overall. Thats fine for a base engine...especially a base engine that many people would likely choose. My issue is...if you are going to offer a 2nd engine, make it something worthwhile. The 'better' engine offers only 15 more hp and 12lbs/ft more torque? If you are going to offer another engine..get something that moves the needle a bit more.

#10 ·
Naturally I see quite a few in Michigan already. The Jeep Compass and Chevy Equinox trade places as the bestselling vehicle in Michigan so I expect this to show up there as well.

For a bargain vehicle it's fairly appealing, although it's not my personal style. I'd prefer something a little less whimsical Korean fun kid car. Jeep Compass definitely looks way better.

#17 · (Edited)
Bronco Sport turns out to be Ford's answer to this segment, but it's not as budget. The Sport is a hair shorter than the Trailblazer believe it or not, but more upright.
And wider, which will make it feel much bigger inside, unless this width is off (including mirrors) it's way wider than everything? :think:
(Fixed Dimensions)

Chevy TrailBlazer
Length 173.5 in
Width 71.2 in
Height 65.2 in
Wheelbase 103.9 in

Ford Bronco Sport
Length 172.7 in
Width 74.3 in
Height 70.3 in
Wheelbase 105.1 in

Jeep Renegade
Length 167 in
Width 74 in
Height 67 in
Wheelbase 101.2 in

Ford Escape
Length 181 in
Width 74 in
Height 66 in
Wheelbase 106.7 in

Chevy Equinox
Length 183 in
Width 73 in
Height 65 in
Wheelbase 107.3 in

#21 ·
For some reason, I expected the Bronco to be somewhat bigger than it is. Old impressions I guess.

#22 · (Edited)
The Bronco Sport's starting price is substantially higher than that segment however, just over $28K which places it above Escape in pricing, and it gets much higher. The reason this seems to be Ford's answer to the segment is that they are specifically targeting the Jeep Compass when the marketing guys talk about competition. Jeep Compass is by far the bestselling vehicle in that nebulous smaller than compact class. They are targeting 100K annual sales which is pretty high alongside the 250K of Escape right now.

I recently learned that Ford cancelled plans to produce a sub $20K Crossover to be paired alongside the sub $20K Maverick compact pickup with no plans to bring the NG EcoSport to the US. My guess is this is where the leave it with the Maverick picking up additional customers that others are not. I don't think Ford can make the cheap SUV work for them since they want to make these other things instead. I wish Ford would just cover this base better, but oh well.

#23 ·
I'll have to see it in person and directly compare it, but it seems to be as big or bigger than the Escape and almost as big as the Equinox.
(knowing that the shorter length is primarily overhangs)

Ford Bronco Sport
Length 172.7 in
Width 74.3 in
Height 70.3 in
Wheelbase 105.1 in

Ford Escape
Length 181 in
Width 74 in
Height 66 in
Wheelbase 106.7 in

Chevy Equinox
Length 183 in
Width 73 in
Height 65 in
Wheelbase 107.3 in

And while it's not "cheap" they come nicely equipped and seem worthy of the price they are posting.

2021 BRONCO SPORT BASE
Starting at $26,660

2021 BRONCO SPORT BIG BEND
Starting at $28,160

2021 BRONCO SPORT OUTER BANKS
Starting at $32,160

2021 BRONCO SPORT BADLANDS
Starting at $32,660

2021 FORD BRONCO SPORT FIRST EDITION
Starting at $38,500

#24 ·
The Bronco Sport is substantially taller, by 5+ inches. So that significantly changes the packaging of the interior relative to the compact segment. I really like the return of a tall roofline, not only does it look better but it's way more functional. Crossovers keep chopping the roof down while getting longer (see Explorer, Edge, Escape).

#25 · (Edited)
Pricing seems to be just about a tossup between the Sport and an AWD Escape, around $27K to start.

MPG—not that anyone cares!—should come in a bit lower than the Escape because the Sport is so much taller and boxier. The AWD Escape comes in at 31MPG highway, so I’m going to estimate 29MPG hwy for the Sport. Not far off AWD Trailblazer, a bit less than Crosstrek. Final numbers should be out closer to launch.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42509&id=42256&id=42050&id=42257

Reactions: BORG
#27 · (Edited)
It's a little surprising to me is that you need to get the Badlands edition to get the 2.0L. That's a similar story in Escape, you need to get Titanium to get the 2.0L, but the Escape has a 2.5L HEV which bridges the gap for anybody not into the I3 (it's also the standard engine in some trim levels). Paradoxically that means a much larger majority of Bronco Sports will be using the cheaper 1.5L than Escape. Of course the Badlands edition might have a higher take rate than the 2.0L Titanium on Escape.

#28 ·
Reactions: BORG
#48 ·
I got to check one of these out at the dealer a couple of weekends ago. A FWD Activ model. It was unlocked in front of the place next to a Trax which was unlocked as well, like they were wanting looky-lu's to compare them. I came away fairly impressed with it vs. the Trax. It seemed solid and put together pretty good also and was comfortable sitting in it as well. I'd still like to drive one some day just to see about that though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.