New Chevrolet Corvette could get hybrid or electric versions

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Chevrolet Corvette could get hybrid or electric versions

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,079 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Latest version of American classic launches with 6.2-litre V8 – but electrified versions will follow
    Autocar
    by Paul A. Eisenstein
    19 July 2019

When asked by Autocar about future electrified variants of the Corvette, the president of Chevrolet parent company General Motors, Mark Reuss, said: “The company is committed to a strategy of 0-0-0: zero emissions, zero crashes and zero congestion. All of the technology rolling into this vehicle is meant to support that. This platform can carry a lot of different things into the future for General Motors.”

Pressed on whether a fully electric Corvette was under consideration, Reuss said: “We’ll see. Stay tuned.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-20-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,778 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: New Chevrolet Corvette could get hybrid or electric versions

Most of the competition has already committed to going down the electrification route - mild hybrid is a win-win situation, acceleration performance is improved by using dual power and economy is improved by harvesting energy during regenerative braking.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (07-20-2019),dannyg (07-21-2019),germeezy1 (07-24-2019),SierraGS (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,844 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    Latest version of American classic launches with 6.2-litre V8 – but electrified versions will follow
    Autocar
    by Paul A. Eisenstein
    19 July 2019

When asked by Autocar about future electrified variants of the Corvette, the president of Chevrolet parent company General Motors, Mark Reuss, said: “The company is committed to a strategy of 0-0-0: zero emissions, zero crashes and zero congestion. All of the technology rolling into this vehicle is meant to support that. This platform can carry a lot of different things into the future for General Motors.”

Pressed on whether a fully electric Corvette was under consideration, Reuss said: “We’ll see. Stay tuned.”
    Aside from this being their grandiose scheme, he sounds just as bad or just like any corporate taking head or politician.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (07-20-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I would like to see a well executed electric version of this along with it and in a comparison head to head. That would be truly interesting .

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15 ATS Performance AWD

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0IFSuYn..._web_copy_link

Now this is the kind of C8 hybrid-electric we need!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,891 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

HYbrid 'vette is a no-brainer. That said...

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Aside from this being their grandiose scheme, he sounds just as bad or just like any corporate taking head or politician.
    Well, he IS a corporate shill. If you don't report General Mary's mantra of zerozerozerozerozero (last two are IQ and Original Thoughts) you will probably find your desk in the parking lot tomorrow morning, with a couple of handy packing boxes next to it.

00000 means V2V which means JohnnyCabs which means The End of Driving, which of course is what all control freaks and Central Planners--but I repeat myself--want forced onto the brainless Walmart-smelling peasants.

It's working, lots of today's kids have little interest in a DL. My wife's grandkids at 20 and 18 do not have DLs. I was pushing for a long time to get the older one enrolled in a good teen driving school. I might as well have advocated a move to commie china to seek work as a day laborer in the rice fields.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-20-2019),SierraGS (07-21-2019),SVT74 (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    HYbrid 'vette is a no-brainer. That said...

Well, he IS a corporate shill. If you don't report General Mary's mantra of zerozerozerozerozero (last two are IQ and Original Thoughts) you will probably find your desk in the parking lot tomorrow morning, with a couple of handy packing boxes next to it.

00000 means V2V which means JohnnyCabs which means The End of Driving, which of course is what all control freaks and Central Planners--but I repeat myself--want forced onto the brainless Walmart-smelling peasants.

It's working, lots of today's kids have little interest in a DL. My wife's grandkids at 20 and 18 do not have DLs. I was pushing for a long time to get the older one enrolled in a good teen driving school. I might as well have advocated a move to commie china to seek work as a day laborer in the rice fields.
    I know what you mean, I personally have a nephew 22 yrs. old and no DL. I mean like WTF man the freedom and mobility you're missing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-20-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

Cause he should literally throw everything out on the table as a brand new product is about to launch? Come on Bro,.. he needs to sell what is in hand and not the future right now. Hell.. The timing of the C8's launch should have been maybe set for Sept.. to make sure all C7 inventory is spoken for. Those performance numbers have me ready to sell my once top dog Z06 because its now "slow" compared to the BASE VETTE.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to see a well executed electric version of this along with it and in a comparison head to head. That would be truly interesting .
    What would be interesting for real.. at least for me... would be one of these show up where it should be,.. over at a Cadillac dealership with a Crest on the nose. This car's styling SCREAMS Cien 2020. All Electric.. and ONLY electric.. I wouldn't bat an eye.. and I bet wallets would open even at a starting price of $100K. Because this is what the ELR SHOULD have been
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

rougeriver (07-23-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,498 Times in 3,155 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Cause he should literally throw everything out on the table as a brand new product is about to launch? Come on Bro,.. he needs to sell what is in hand and not the future right now. Hell.. The timing of the C8's launch should have been maybe set for Sept.. to make sure all C7 inventory is spoken for. Those performance numbers have me ready to sell my once top dog Z06 because its now "slow" compared to the BASE VETTE.
    Do you not know you are required to be negative about everything GM?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-20-2019),91fairladyZ (07-21-2019),rougeriver (07-23-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

I like the purity of the Vette. The slowest Vette has already ran an 11.07 in the quarter mile so its fast and light right now. Electrification is inevitable but making it heavier, worse handling and more expensive doesn't make it any more appealing to most.

Thanks
    My Ride

I know what you mean, I personally have a nephew 22 yrs. old and no DL. I mean like WTF man the freedom and mobility you're missing.
    Apparently all the freedom they need is that device in their hands. I am SOOOO GLAD I grew up when I did. I got my DL on my 16th birthday. I couldn't wait. I was cars cars cars.

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    I like the purity of the Vette. The slowest Vette has already ran an 11.07 in the quarter mile so its fast and light right now. Electrification is inevitable but making it heavier, worse handling and more expensive doesn't make it any more appealing to most.
    I agree, electrification is inevitable but good luck on the return on investment. A 'lektrik vette would IMO appeal 80% to the Tesla-clique type and 20% to a combo of performance addicts and greenies who need an image.

What would be interesting for real.. at least for me... would be one of these show up where it should be,.. over at a Cadillac dealership with a Crest on the nose. This car's styling SCREAMS Cien 2020. All Electric.. and ONLY electric.. I wouldn't bat an eye.. and I bet wallets would open even at a starting price of $100K. Because this is what the ELR SHOULD have been
    ELR should have been $49,995.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

GM is still very far off the Hybrid spectrum right now, they've largely scrubbed their hybrid efforts, although that appears to be changing as witnessed by the next-gen Camaro delays and rumors of a Hybrid truck (they better hustle on that with Ford coming next year). But you can't simply add this tech to a platform, it has to be designed with it and there is no indication that was ever part of the budget or development. It's certainly possible we'll eventually see a unique Corvette designed from the ground up for EV performance. Obviously a mid-engine chasis makes no sense for an EV.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

You must not be used to the business world and how these people seem to operate. I was just pointing out the fact that they're good spinmeisters.

Thanks
    My Ride

You must not be used to the business world and how these people seem to operate. I was just pointing out the fact that they're good spinmeisters.
    Yeah. The C7 will sell just fine, anyone who worries should find new worry beads. This guy, a month ago, said there was a 98 day supply, or under 7000 cars. No need to panic.

By Justin Nohe Jun 25 2019 - 8:41am
    The C7 Corvette Inventory Is Diminishing Regardless of Upcoming C8 Reveal
    It wasn’t long ago that I read the C7 Corvette sales were struggling due to incoming C8. Just 2 months ago ***********.com reported that there were 9,000 unsold Chevrolet Corvettes crowding dealer lots and then as of 3 days ago they are now reporting that number has dropped by over 2,000 cars. The C7 is a hot Corvette and even with the C8 on the horizon people are still inclined to buy one.

There is a lot of unknowns with the C8 Corvette, many of which won’t be answered until the July 18th reveal, and that is one of the biggest reasons the C7 Corvette is still very appetizing to some.

The 7th generation Corvette stands to possibly be the last of the front engine Corvette and because of this could also act as a collectible to some. There are more than a few proud Corvette owners out there that still don’t want to see the mid-engine layout of the C8 as a “pure” Corvette and because of this, will continue along with their C7 Corvettes or even possibly jump up a model or 2 in order to maintain the “best” possible 7th generation Corvette experience.

The *********** website goes on to say that the remaining C7 Corvettes the dealers have equate to a 98-day supply which will make the C7 available for a touch over 3 months. At this point we are less than a month away from the reveal of the C8 Corvette and if it fails to impress that 98-day supply could be cut down drastically but of course if it is revealed and it blows everyone away then that 98-day supply just became a much, much longer supply.

https://www.torquenews.com/8047/c7-c...ming-c8-reveal
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-20-2019)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast