Mid-Engine Chevrolet Corvette Reveal to be Livestreamed Globally 7/18/19 7:50pm PDT - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-Engine Chevrolet Corvette Reveal to be Livestreamed Globally 7/18/19 7:50pm PDT

Thanks
    Thanked 7,516 Times in 3,806 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Mid-Engine Chevrolet Corvette Reveal to be Livestreamed Globally 7/18/19 7:30pm P

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    If there is a 7th gen Camaro and it has to borrow from the past (which I think is totally unnecessary), I'd rather see them take inspiration from the 3rd generation. And besides the styling and the additional rear seat room, the hatchback would be a nice thing to bring back. It really made the car easy to live with.
    I'm thinking there will be a new Camaro, just all electric and I hope it is forward thinking in its style - very little taken from the past. New styling to usher in a new form of propulsion for a pony car. Though there might be a break of a year or two were there is no Camaro.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (07-10-2019),BahamaTodd (07-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,836 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Mid-Engine Chevrolet Corvette Reveal to be Livestreamed Globally 7/18/19 7:30pm P

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I'm thinking there will be a new Camaro, just all electric and I hope it is forward thinking in its style - very little taken from the past. New styling to usher in a new form of propulsion for a pony car. Though there might be a break of a year or two were there is no Camaro.
    Considering the post I just made and all, you do have a very good point there if it does usher in a new propulsion system.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-10-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I'd love to see a modernized 3rd/4th gen. Tired of the neo-retro fad.
    I think the 3rd gens have aged better than any other past Camaro. But I'd rather see a clean sheet design from fresh minds. Forget the past.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,193 Posts

All the "the next Camaro/CTS/everything will be electric!" pronouncements seem like wishful thinking. Or a recipe for failure. What has GM produced thus far, the Bolt? I think I've seen two of them ever. And I'm not against electric vehicles. But until a charging infrastructure exists where you can charge your car as readily as you can buy a tank of gas, I won't buy one.

Yeah I know most people don't drive that much in a given day. In my normal driving, an electric would be just fine. But I take a couple of long trips a year and I don't have any intention of mapping out recharging stations in advance like I'm charting out oases in the desert. Not to mention taking a considerable amount of time to recharge.

That being said, if anything should be electric, maybe a Camaro would be a good choice. They tend to be 2nd vehicles anyway, so the reluctance to buy an electric vehicle due to trip limitations would not be as big a factor. Long trip? Take your other car.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (07-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
    Also, after this I think its time for a new site logo. Everything is out of production.

Think of it as a memorial... at least for the Holden Commodore ute and the C7 (the last real Corvette)
    This is my new account, I've been a member here since 2004.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Are they trying to say the Corvette will be a global car?
    GM trying to say Corvette or Cadillac are global ain't even funny anymore. It's just miserable.
    If You want to see a global American vehicle have a look at Wrangler or just watch Mustang global reveal on YT that took place in U.S/Europe/China and Australia.
    Current:
    2014 Volvo V40 CC
    2016 Mercedes CLS
    1994 Firebird TransAm LQ4 manual
    2017 Mustang
    Previous:
    2005 Mercedes SL
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1992 Cadillac STS
    1997 Corvette

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrambler For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (07-10-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

I think the 3rd gens have aged better than any other past Camaro. But I'd rather see a clean sheet design from fresh minds. Forget the past.
    All the "the next Camaro/CTS/everything will be electric!" pronouncements seem like wishful thinking. Or a recipe for failure. What has GM produced thus far, the Bolt? I think I've seen two of them ever. And I'm not against electric vehicles. But until a charging infrastructure exists where you can charge your car as readily as you can buy a tank of gas, I won't buy one.

Yeah I know most people don't drive that much in a given day. In my normal driving, an electric would be just fine. But I take a couple of long trips a year and I don't have any intention of mapping out recharging stations in advance like I'm charting out oases in the desert. Not to mention taking a considerable amount of time to recharge.

That being said, if anything should be electric, maybe a Camaro would be a good choice. They tend to be 2nd vehicles anyway, so the reluctance to buy an electric vehicle due to trip limitations would not be as big a factor. Long trip? Take your other car.
    I'd want the Camaro to look like something special, but not an "electric science experiment" like a lot of today's electrics/hybrids are styled. Just look good, sleek, modern and special.

I think the Camaro and other high end vehicles (CT6) are a good place for GM to start with electrics. First, they are pricier vehicles, better able to absorb some of the upfront higher costs. Second, these tend to be gas guzzlers, so from GM's perspective it makes sense to get rid of them first as they drag down the corporate mpg averages. And third, with the low center of gravity an electric vehicle will have they lend themselves to performance.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
    GM trying to say Corvette or Cadillac are global ain't even funny anymore. It's just miserable.
    If You want to see a global American vehicle have a look at Wrangler or just watch Mustang global reveal on YT that took place in U.S/Europe/China and Australia.
    doesn't matter to me, whenever I get into my ATS and enjoy driving it, I do not care if someone in Brussels has one or not.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

09W (07-18-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

It was cool the first few times we had a retro new car. But I think it is time to look to the future again for styling instead of relying on the past.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Ute (07-11-2019),yello430 (07-10-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    It was cool the first few times we had a retro new car. But I think it is time to look to the future again for styling instead of relying on the past.
    Yes, the retro design trend has run it's course for the most part. The "car" as we have known it is evolving...I'm curious to see what fresh, innovative styling is coming to future "mobility platforms".
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rockyspaw For This Useful Post:

yello430 (07-10-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,417 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I'd love to see a modernized 3rd/4th gen. Tired of the neo-retro fad.
    In my mind, the 4th gen cars aren't old enough to be thought of as classic models to draw styling inspiration from.

Blame the Mustang for the retro 5th & 6th gens. Hell, blame them for the Challenger. The reborn GTO went on sale a year ahead of the retro Mustang & all I heard was "Why didn't they make it look retro?" Because if the GTO had not stopped production, it would have morphed into a sleek, aerodynamic car by the early '00s.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet and Dodge

T minus 8 days and counting.

Some are comparing this to the Apollo missions. I put Apollo just a tad higher.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AutoCrazy For This Useful Post:

SKH (07-10-2019)

SKH
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,701 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by AutoCrazy View Post
    T minus 8 days and counting.

Some are comparing this to the Apollo missions. I put Apollo just a tad higher.
    Get outta here with your 8 days and counting!! It’s about 7 days 2 hours and 24 minutes!! Damn your right lol. 8 days 2 hours. I was thinking when the embargo would lift at 9:00-9:30 pst next Wednesday.
    Last edited by SKH; 07-10-2019 at 09:13 PM.

SKH
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,701 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Maybe they won’t do the usual press release the night before on this one?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,417 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

I'm thinking the press release won't hit until at least 10 pm Eastern time. They don't want people getting the Cliff notes early. They want people to tune in. I'm betting the whole thing will be about a half hour long & the first 20 minutes will be spouting off about the history of the Corvette, the testing for the C8 & a video or 2 showing camouflaged prototypes running around various tracks. Then, we will get 2 more minutes to hype people up & lastly 6 minutes to see the car before the stream ends. Then, the press release will drop.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information