Malibu could be Chevrolet's answer to Camry; Is the 3rd Time the Charm?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malibu could be Chevrolet's answer to Camry; Is the 3rd Time the Charm?

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Malibu could be Chevrolet's answer to Camry; Is the 3rd Time the Charm?

It sounds like a quiet ride is an important part of the new Malibu. That's great, because one of the things I had to grudgingly admit I was impressed about with the Accord is the way the whole body seems to glide across the asphalt (or concrete 'round here) and absorb the bumps silently without creaks and groans (in a friend's car even after 5 years), the dash like a single solid unit connected to the body of the car, not something hastily bolted on. I'm glad that GM chose to focus on things like this - those "intangibles" that can make or break a car. - Ming

Malibu could be answer to Camry
    August 17, 2007
    BY KATIE MERX
    DETROIT FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

With the newly redesigned Chevrolet Malibu, Vice Chairman Bob Lutz says General Motors Corp. finally has the high-volume midsize sedan that can win buyers away from other models -- even the Toyota Camry.

Lutz characterizes the new Malibu's ride and handling as "silent and silky" and for somewhere in the high-teens to low-$20,000 range, it drives like something that costs $35,000 to $40,000.

The Malibu is the first high-volume Camry competitor designed under Lutz, who was hired in 2001 to rejuvenate the automaker's lineup.

"The Malibu is certainly our latest and most serious effort to do an absolutely no-excuses mid-market American sedan, with prices from high teens to low 20s," Lutz said Thursday before the Woodward Dream Cruise. "Our intention is to create a value-to-quality equation so compelling it will get some people to switch brands. The only way to get people to switch is to build a better car."

The newly redesigned Chevrolet Malibu is arguably General Motors Corp.'s most important new car launch this year, as the automaker defends its title as the world's largest against fast-growing Japanese rival Toyota Motor Corp.

GM invited a small group of automotive journalists to see and drive a few early production versions of the Malibu -- and the Toyota Camry -- at the Milford Proving Grounds on Thursday to demonstrate just how confident GM executives are that they have created a car that can win buyers away from other brands, particularly sedan titans Toyota and Honda Motor Co.

GM allowed journalists the early peek at its latest sedan on the condition they not write about their driving impressions until Nov. 2, when the car is expected to hit showrooms.

Engineers and designers at the proving grounds on Thursday said they believe they have topped the Camry and Honda Accord, pointing to tighter fit and finish of the interiors; upscale materials and textures; simple sleek lines; a quiet interior; and fine-tuned stability, braking and handling systems that they believe will be considered best in class.

"I like it; it's a good-looking car," said auto analyst Kevin Tynan of Argus Research. "The biggest hurdle now is image. The Malibu has been off the radar and, if it's going to be a success, you've got to get people to consider it."

Source in Full & Comments: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SS01/708170378

More Photos: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=53616

FLASHBACK - Is 2007 (The 3rd Time) The Charm?:

FLASHBACK, 2003
    '04 Malibu is a major upgrade
    http://www.azcentral.com/class/marke...ro.html?&wired
    Bob Golfen
    Road Test
    Nov. 8, 2003 12:00 AM

Finally, Chevrolet has a midsize sedan that can compete with the imports.

The new Malibu is a major upgrade for the formerly mundane family car. For 2004, the revamped Chevy has sharper styling and a roomier interior, plus decent driving characteristics that can be compared with Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

Despite steering vagueness and soft suspension, Malibu drives with responsiveness and corners well. The overall effect is a balance between the desires of traditional Chevrolet buyers and the import crowd that Chevy would like to attract.

FLASHBACK, 1997
    GM sets midsize hopes on Malibu
    Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City),
    Mar 3, 1997
    by Brian S. Akre Associated Press
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...3/ai_n10101582

DETROIT -- Chevrolet, the biggest division of the world's No. 1 automaker, has lagged for years in one of the largest segments of the car market: small midsize sedans.

It's a segment long dominated by the Japanese with the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. Until recently, Chevy's entry against those two well-built kings of the road was the lowbrow, uninspired Corsica.

This past weekend, the General Motors Corp. division launched its television campaign to introduce what many analysts say may be GM's most important new car this decade: the Malibu . Manufactured at the GM assembly plant in Oklahoma City, Chevrolet expects it to become its top-seller. "It's positioned to get Chevrolet back into the biggest segment of the industry,"

The Malibu offers all the standard convenience features, the quiet ride and room for a family of five that midsize-import buyers have come to expect. Its clean, conservative styling with minimal chrome is reminiscent of the previous-generation Camry. Like the Camry, Accord and Nissan Altima, the Malibu doesn't draw attention to itself. Its advertising, however, draws attention to the fact that the Malibu is, above all, an American car. Its nationalistic theme: "The car you knew America could build."

The initial 60-second TV spot features fast-moving, wide-angle scenes of Americans and some of their cultural icons -- Mount Rushmore, the moon landing, Rocky Balboa. The background music is the Staple Singers' 1972 hit, I'll Take You There. The Malibu name itself is a throwback to the mid-1960s, when American cars ruled the road and Japan was a new, minor player.

The Malibu, which began arriving in showrooms earlier this year, has received good reviews from analysts and the automotive press. Analyst Jim Hall of AutoPacific Inc. said the Malibu is a far better car that he expected, given that many of its components came from previous GM car platforms.

Last edited by Ming; 08-18-2007 at 09:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Malibu could be Chevrolet's answer to Camry

that grill is not pretty.
    Hidden Content

My cars:
    1987 Holden VL Turbo - Hidden Content
    2004 Ford Falcon XLS Ute

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I look forward to seeing one in real life as in pictures it seems rather plain to my eyes, with the tail lights looking oddly cobbled together.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Aych Es Vee
    I won't make a judgement on this car until I see it in real life. From what of many people who have seen it, it is a beautiful looking car

Thanks

Reliability will be a factor if it wants to challenge for the top spot. Americans would buy it in droves if they thought it was the best car on the market.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

The Malibu is closer to a Camry with this 2008 model.

It isn't there yet though.

If I had my choice of the new Malibu or the Camry XLE I own now...

I would still take the Camry XLE over the Malibu. The Camry still has more safety features and more options.

GM is on the right track though...

EDIT: To be perfectly honest...Put these side by side with the general public and they will say they look the same.
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"Hidden Content

Thanks

I think that the 08 Malibu should be named Impala and that they should keep making the current Malibu as a fleet car(upgraded). That way it can run from high teens to the early 30's like the Camry or Accord and have a name that is a touch higher than the current Malibu's.

Also Gm must realize that they will have to fight with this first model and realize it may not gain ground like they want. That is really for the second generation car. The first good car will go unnoticed by most except core fans and will be rebuked because of the name plate. However time and personal experience will help through the years.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aych Es Vee
    That's what I said at first, but by now the grill has really grown on me. The one design on the new Malibu that will probably NOT grow on me is the tail lights. I hate the design of the rear end.
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    1989 Cadillac Brougham
    1987 Oldsmobile 442 (7,000 original miles with factory Astroroof) Hidden Content
    1987 Oldsmobile 442 (11,000 original miles with factory t-tops) Hidden Content
    1972 Oldsmobile 442 Hidden Content
    1966 Oldsmobile 442 (one owner, needs resto)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 BusyBody's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, thats some positive feedback from the automotive journalists, I can't wait to see the Malibu in person.

Thanks

I am concerned that the millions of people who have developed an aestheic taste for imports will look at the Malibu's Kandy Korn interior and see it as another Detroit joke.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Re: Malibu could be Chevrolet's answer to Camry; Is the 3rd Time the Charm?

I can't wait for it to be available at Chevy Dealerships.

Thanks

Re: Malibu could be Chevrolet's answer to Camry; Is the 3rd Time the Charm?

I like to see the Impala in RWD and sell in lower volumes. Its competition should be the Avalon and Chry-300. The Malibu doesn't have be that good looking but must do it's primary purpose very well.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dood

I would still take the Camry XLE over the Malibu. The Camry still has more safety features and more options.

EDIT: To be perfectly honest...Put these side by side with the general public and they will say they look the same.
    I guess there can always be a reason to buy a Toyota, no matter what Chevy puts out. If the Malibu ran on CO2 and had 300 hp, some people would still buy a Toyota.
    If all of the parts for Hondas and Toyotas are made in the US, then why did they have shortages after the tsunami in Japan?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rueben44
    Also Gm must realize that they will have to fight with this first model and realize it may not gain ground like they want. That is really for the second generation car. The first good car will go unnoticed by most except core fans and will be rebuked because of the name plate. However time and personal experience will help through the years.
    This IS the second generation. Epsilon II, they call it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dood

You haven't driven it! The Aura didn't win NACOTY for how it looked in pictures and on a spec sheet. It won because of how it handles compared to the ride. This is an improved version of that car. Will it stand up to the new Accord, I'm thinking no, but I bet it will take out the Camry lineup in comparisons. We'll see. I haven't driven it.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information