Lordstown, Ohio, hangs its hopes on the new Chevy Cruze

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Lordstown, Ohio, hangs its hopes on the new Chevy Cruze

Thanks

Monday, August 3, 2009

Lordstown struggles to avoid Youngstown's fate, pins its livelihood on GM plant
    Story and photos by Elizabeth Conley / The Detroit News
    Lordstown, Ohio
    When the Lordstown General Motors Co. plant reopens today after an extended summer shutdown, about 2,600 fewer employees will be reporting to work than a year ago.
    Those who still have a job are thankful but have been battered by a tumultuous year that began with high hopes when GM selected the Lordstown plant for a new product -- the Chevy Cruze -- then quickly spiraled down as GM floundered amid the national economic meltdown and declared bankruptcy on June 1.

Link: http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...ew-Chevy-Cruze
    Hidden Content

Previous:
    1988 Pontiac Sunbird SE Used
    1992 Pontiac Sunbird SE New
    1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 New
    1996 Pontiac Trans Am New
    1998 Oldsmobile Bravada PEP
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP New
    2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi New
    2002 GMC Envoy SLT New
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G New
    2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP New
    2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged New
    2008 Saturn Vue Red Line New

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Lordstown, Ohio, hangs its hopes on the new Chevy Cruze

......"Unlike previous decades, when industry left the area for other parts of the nation, companies are now moving out of the country entirely, permanently erasing thousands of jobs. And it's not just the jobs that are fading, but also health care, pensions and other benefits that built the working middle class.

John Russo, co-director for working class studies at Youngstown State University, has been studying this erosion for years and said he finds the push for cheaper U.S. labor depressing.

"We seem to be willing to create jobs for a working people where the wages and benefits cannot support paying their basic bills," Russo said. "So, it seems to me, Youngstown's story, now Lordstown's story, is a part of America's story as we begin this next century
    .".................................

Our economy is turning around and everything is going to be fine from here on out. Yeah, right. Anyone who thinks our economy has turned the corner and good times a right ahead is sadly mistaken. We ain't seen nothing yet.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 SigEpCutlass's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Buick Regal GS Manual

I've driven by this plant numerous times when my wife and I have gone to visit family on the east coast. It was nice seeing all those shiny Cobalts out there on the lot. I really hope GM holds on to this plant.
    - Mike K.

Current:
    2012 Buick Regal GS 6spd MANUAL - Oshawa, Ontario
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring-L- Windsor, Ontario

Past GMs:
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Doraville, GA

BUICK - Going fast with class!
    Yes, I'm a married man in my 30's...a Buick marketer's dream customer!

"I don't view Toyota as an insurmountable obstacle that GM can't vanquish." - MAXIMUM Bob Lutz

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 Terrain/99 Sierra/08 Sky RL

Awww...that article was such a ray of inspiration....NOT!
    Just more negativity from my area (Detroit/Windsor) being spread across the country.

Misery loves company.
    Kris Creed | Sales & Leasing Consultant | GUS REVENBERG CHEVROLET-BUICK-GMC | Windsor, Ontario, Canada | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by 01IntrigueGX Hidden Content
    A position should be made for you in GM Marketing. Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by germeezy1 Hidden Content
    They should have given him the position yesterday! Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

Both my Sunfire's and my G5 were built in Lordstown. I could not have been happier with them. I know the Cruze will be a great success thanks to the talented men and women who work there. I would like to tour such a place someday I'm sure it would be fascinating. It is a shame that so many jobs have already been lost at Lordstown Assembly. Perhaps the Cruze will succeed beyond our wildest dreams and they will need to add back a lot of people.
    -Elliott

Thanks

Ugh.

As a former resident of the Mahoning Valley, and a graduate of Youngstown State University, all I can really say is ugh. We've seen this plenty of times before, about how bad it is to live in our neck of Northeastern Ohio, and quite honestly, I'm sick of it.

No ****, times are bad there. But, for once, will some one concentrate on something besides the blatantly obvious? The Sheet and Tube went down 30 years ago. General Electric left at about the same time. Lordstown always has it's ups and downs, and Delphi (Packard Electric) has it's own set of problems.

But it's like we've ignored 30 years of change. The downtown area is finally pretty decent. It has improved since I was a college student there 25 years ago. The city fathers have worked hard to clean up the area, YSU has expanded and made downtown better, Federal Plaza has opened up to traffic again and the Chevy Center (I don't care what the new name is) is a draw for downtown. There are smaller steel mills and other heavy industries that survive there. If you see these reports, you'd think that nothing even exists there anymore. Why don't they show the downtown area and the other businesses that ARE doing well? And will someone for once photograph Youngstown in summer or spring when all of the flowers are in bloom? Every place looks bad in February.

I can't stand when folks like this misguided person from the DetNews feels it their mission to paint the area like some abandoned section of Appalachia, rather than the potential boom town it could be. The location, which is halfway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, not to mention New York City and Chicago, situated on a major east-west interstate is already a big area for trucking. Everything you touch was brought to you by truck. If you live in the northern tier of the US, it probably ran through the Valley.

There is plenty of know how in that part of Ohio, just like there is in all other parts of the midwest. Given the right circumstances, the area could take off. But I really expected a little more balance from the Det News, considering they're in a similar situation. It wouldn't be very hard to find other sources of information about the valley, as there are plenty of ex-pats around the US. Ask me how I know...
    geozinger

95 Pontiac Sunfire GT (Quad4)
    97 Chevy Cavalier (245,000 miles & counting!)
    04 Pontiac Sunfire (Ecotec)
    09 Pontiac G6 Sedan (Ecotec & 6 speed)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information