A Look Back: "GM’s X-Cars: Anatomy of a Miserable Failure"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Look Back: "GM’s X-Cars: Anatomy of a Miserable Failure"

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,016 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

A Look Back: "GM’s X-Cars: Anatomy of a Miserable Failure"

Automobile Magazine
    May 21, 2019

GM’s X-Cars: Anatomy of a Miserable Failure
    They were supposed to change the automotive landscape, and they did—just not how the General planned.

ow bad does your car have to be before it attracts a lawsuit from the U.S. Department of Justice? Welcome to the story of General Motors’ X-body project, started in the late 1970s as a response to the onslaught of front-wheel-drive imports that were making inroads thanks to a combination of affordability, reliability, and high fuel economy.

Initially, there was a lot of internal excitement at America’s largest automaker for what promised to be the light that would lead GM into the future. Yet right from their 1979 on-sale date, and all the way through their ignominious retreat from the market by the middle of the next decade, GM’s X-car family provided a master class in how not to engineer, build, or handle defects for brand-new automobiles. This was the peak of the General’s reach overextending its grasp as it tried to remain relevant among a rapidly changing landscape by packaging technologies it hadn’t mastered as cheaply as possible in cars it rushed to market.

Although Cadillac and Oldsmobile had experimented with front-wheel drive in the past, it had always been in the context of enormous luxo-barges featuring traditional longitudinal engines. The edict from the top brass that kickstarted the X-car project was to create a unibody platform that could accept transverse, small-displacement engines and offer substantial improvements in fuel economy, cabin space, and assembly costs. It was square-one for General Motors, and inspiration came from an unlikely source: front-wheel-drive Lancias that were purchased and dissected to provide clues as to how the X platform should unfold.

Pressure was intense to get the X-cars—which would be given to the Chevrolet (Citation), Oldsmobile (Omega), Buick (Skylark), and Pontiac (Phoenix) divisions—into showrooms as quickly as possible. This meant not only a significantly shortened development cycle, where testing of the radically new chassis and drivetrain setup was given the shortest possible shrift, but also a centralized engineering approach where each division would be expected to play nice and contribute to specific aspects of the project.

Forward-thinking, at least at first blush. The realities of pulling together a car where Pontiac was responsible for the rear suspension and Chevrolet the front were something else entirely. Rather than a vehicle that functioned as a complete system, the hodgepodge of ideas and executions would contribute to its sensational fall from grace.

Initially, the 1980-model-year X-body was a smashing success. More than 800,000 examples of the Chevrolet Citation alone would be sold during that heady early period. This was bolstered by enthusiastic reviews from the motoring press, who had been provided with a selection of hand-assembled, near-perfect non-production-spec models to test. Still, it quickly became apparent that the vehicle’s sales figures represented a pyrrhic victory at best. General Motors soon would be at odds not just with its own customers, but also the U.S. government.

Article continues at link above.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,016 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: A Look Back: "GM’s X-Cars: Anatomy of a Miserable Failure"

This was bolstered by enthusiastic reviews from the motoring press, who had been provided with a selection of hand-assembled, near-perfect non-production-spec models to test.
    I remember seeing my first Citation while in college - massively impressive - incredibly popular. My father tried to buy a Pontiac Phoenix, but could not find one in stock anywhere.

GM had the product, they had supreme marketplace acceptance...If only the X-Cars had been engineered properly, GM would be a different company today.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-22-2019),377Z (05-22-2019),buildacariwant (05-25-2019),Chassis Guy (05-23-2019),richmond2000 (05-22-2019),Roger Zimmermann (05-22-2019),tnmats (05-22-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,088 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I have a "weird" thing for the X11
    my great grandma had an Omega when I was young and I remember being picked up in it often

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-22-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Four-door coupe body style before it was cool.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,045 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

GM missed a few great market opportunities with these X-Car prototypes

Chevrolet Nomad II - 1979

Chevrolet Citation Truck - 1980

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    my great grandma had an Omega when I was young and I remember being picked up in it often
    I drove a friend's X-11 a number of times. It was a fun car with a stick. I had learned to drive in a Chevette, so the V-6 in that Citation really felt fast.

My Dad bought an '80 Citiation as a second car. It was sold to my sister after about 2 years. They kept it for 180K miles and never had any significant issues. Perhaps just lucky.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-23-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I had a 1985 Citation X-11. GM had finally gotten the engineering right just as it went away. Motor Trend called that model America's Audi in their review. It was night and day better than my dad's end of model year special 1981 four door hatchback in burnt red (looked mostly orange) that had a modified bench seat that had so little rigidity it bent like a hockey stick in the middle. The only strength of that car was the 2.5L Iron Duke engine that gave good MPGs.

The iron block, aluminum head 2.8L FI V-6 was way under-rated for official horsepower. You could spin the wheels in all 3 gears of the automatic and torque steer was crazy. The engine put 227 bhp at the front wheels on a dyno and I used to SCCA race it and win my class most weekends and commute in it during the week. It lasted until 1992 and went 280K miles with no engine or transmission work needed. By then the wipers didn't work and the paint on the roof was long gone and replaced by red primer from a can. The half shafts had worn to the point it felt like a CVT getting started.

The hatchback could haul race tires and service gear with ease to the track. It could also move all the gear of three young kids to the grandparents and the beach. The only drawback was rear seat access in the coupe body.
    Last edited by Bigbee60; 05-22-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2017 Chevrolet Trax Premier
    2016 Malibu Hybrid
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    April 2008 to August 2017 - 2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 RWD. 81K miles and 21.2 mpg with a great truck
    May 2014 to June 2016 - Cruze Diesel - 36.8 mpg over 33K miles with best tank of 50.2 mpg
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,103 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

My parents had a Citation when I was young, we had good luck with it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Such a wasted opportunity.

I suspect most people here who rail on about how GM doesn't get a fair shake these days, probably don't remember back when they more than did, nor how/why that gradually changed.
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 377Z For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-22-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 377Z View Post
    I suspect most people here who rail on about how GM doesn't get a fair shake these days, probably don't remember back when they more than did, nor how/why that gradually changed.
    The thing is most of the people who criticize GM today probably never stepped foot in an X car or a Cimarron or any of those 1980s GM debacles. We literally have car reviewers who can’t shut the **** up about the Cimarron who likely never seen one in person, and if they did they did, they’d have no basis to make a comparison.

They hate GM because somebody told them about the X-cars or the Cimarron, not because they have any actual experience with them.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-22-2019),Dheart (05-24-2019),geozinger_again (05-26-2019),Mr.Buttons (05-22-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 377Z View Post
    Such a wasted opportunity.

Well, the Citation came out when I was 16. I'm 55 now. But most people who buy cars are considerably older than 16, so the bulk of Citation buyers may no longer be driving and are quite possibly dead.

With GM and Ford, there seems to be no statute of limitation on bitterness. It's even passed on to future generations.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-23-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    Mom had an 81 Omega Brougham 2dr. Dad had a 78 Monte, he traded a 76 Pacer X for the Omega. 1983 time to trade again, the 78 Monte stayed, the 81 Omega Departed for a 83 Monte.

He Hated that Car. I started driving then, if both cars were in the Garage, I would grab the 78 Monte. I even bought the 78 Monte in 88 when he bought a K1500 Scottsdale.

The shortest life span that I can recall of my Father's Cars, next to a used 73 Gremlin he bought in 75 and traded for the Pacer X.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,761 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    The thing is most of the people who criticize GM today probably never stepped foot in an X car or a Cimarron or any of those 1980s GM debacles. We literally have car reviewers who can’t shut the **** up about the Cimarron who likely never seen one in person, and if they did they did, they’d have no basis to make a comparison.

They hate GM because somebody told them about the X-cars or the Cimarron, not because they have any actual experience with them.
    That's how reputations work - easy to aquire a bad one but takes forever to (re)gain a good one.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

377Z (05-22-2019),Evo69 (05-23-2019),gkr778 (05-22-2019),Let Them Fail (05-23-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 hiluxxulih's Avatar
    Thanks
    I like the Citation the best ones IMO are the 2 door notchback .
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 RCLB , 4.3 liter v6 5 speed .
    1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe 4x2 long bed 5 liter auto .

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hiluxxulih For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (05-23-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 553 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post

Maybe not but I'm 29 years old and I can remember the countless crappy Cavalier, Sunfire, Grand Am, Alero, Catera, Lumina and Monte Carlo's from the 90's and it's easy to see why GM's reputation still hasn't recovered. Say what you want but get out of one of those into any comparable Honda, Toyota or Nissan from the same decade and it is blatantly obvious that GM was behind.
    2018 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop (Plum Crazy Purple)

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

377Z (05-22-2019),buildacariwant (05-25-2019),Ed753 (05-22-2019),Evo69 (05-22-2019),gkr778 (05-22-2019),Let Them Fail (05-23-2019),Watchdevil (05-23-2019)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information