Jeep Wrangler Spied Testing at GM Proving Grounds Could Mean Chevy-Badged Jeep Fighte

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Wrangler Spied Testing at GM Proving Grounds Could Mean Chevy-Badged Jeep Fighte

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,105 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Jeep Wrangler Spied Testing at GM Proving Grounds Could Mean Chevy-Badged Jeep Fighte

Jeep Wrangler Spied Testing at GM Proving Grounds Could Mean Chevy-Badged Jeep Fighter in the Works
    GM engineers were caught benchmarking four-door Jeep Wrangler with a plethora of sensors and other measuring devices.
    BY CHRIS CHINMAY 30, 2019
    THE DRIVE

Jeep has dominated the American 4x4 market with its famous Wrangler for nearly three decades, and given how the “Big Three” American automakers love to compete with each other, it's clear that neither Ford nor General Motors were happy about seeing this action from the sidelines. As a result, Ford has decided to step into the fighting ring by reviving its Bronco off-road SUV, but Chevy went the other direction with a sportier and rather suburban Blazer. But if any recent Jeep Wrangler sightings are to be believed, GM might be up to something at its Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan.

Photos recently shared by *********** show engineers from the General benchmarking some test mules with a pair of four-door Wrangler models. This is apparently the first time GM has ever used a Wrangler as a benchmark for testing SUVs in at least the past decade. Although far from a confirmation, the fact that GM is using a Wrangler as a benchmark is a major hint that a Wrangler competitor is indeed in the works.

More at the link.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (05-30-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Jeep Wrangler Spied Testing at GM Proving Grounds Could Mean Chevy-Badged Jeep Fi

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    Jeep Wrangler Spied Testing at GM Proving Grounds Could Mean Chevy-Badged Jeep Fighter in the Works
    GM engineers were caught benchmarking four-door Jeep Wrangler with a plethora of sensors and other measuring devices.
    BY CHRIS CHINMAY 30, 2019
    THE DRIVE

Jeep has dominated the American 4x4 market with its famous Wrangler for nearly three decades, and given how the “Big Three” American automakers love to compete with each other, it's clear that neither Ford nor General Motors were happy about seeing this action from the sidelines. As a result, Ford has decided to step into the fighting ring by reviving its Bronco off-road SUV, but Chevy went the other direction with a sportier and rather suburban Blazer. But if any recent Jeep Wrangler sightings are to be believed, GM might be up to something at its Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan.

Photos recently shared by *********** show engineers from the General benchmarking some test mules with a pair of four-door Wrangler models. This is apparently the first time GM has ever used a Wrangler as a benchmark for testing SUVs in at least the past decade. Although far from a confirmation, the fact that GM is using a Wrangler as a benchmark is a major hint that a Wrangler competitor is indeed in the works.

More at the link.
    A couple things:
    1. The pettiness needs to stop in regards to GM Authority, the discussion is here so not sure why GMI feels threatened to censor their name.
    2. Just because Chevy is building a Jeep competitor doesn't mean that magically sales are going to flow into Chevy showrooms. "Put Wrangler in it's place"...lol. Jeep has decades of credibility/notoriety/etc built up in off-roading, it's going to take more than a "me too" effort to make inroads there
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-30-2019),377Z (06-06-2019),mbukukanyau (05-31-2019),Neanderthal (06-03-2019),richmond2000 (05-30-2019),ryannel2003 (05-30-2019),SierraGS (05-30-2019),Z Fury (05-30-2019)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Jeep Wrangler Spied Testing at GM Proving Grounds Could Mean Chevy-Badged Jeep Fi

Why is this automatically a Chevy? Why not a GMC?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PastorChevyGuy For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (05-30-2019),eklauss (06-03-2019),Envoy4Life (05-30-2019),JBsZ06 (06-01-2019),Mentat Bashar (05-30-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,105 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    A couple things:
    1. The pettiness needs to stop in regards to GM Authority, the discussion is here so not sure why GMI feels threatened to censor their name.
    2. Just because Chevy is building a Jeep competitor doesn't mean that magically sales are going to flow into Chevy showrooms. "Put Wrangler in it's place"...lol. Jeep has decades of credibility/notoriety/etc built up in off-roading, it's going to take more than a "me too" effort to make inroads there
    1. What's funny is that in the "post an article' instructions it says "Do not post any articles from ************ because they are not allowed." I didn't know who they were talking about until I posted the article above and that name was censored.

2. GMC makes more sense. I agree that nobody is going to de-throne Jeep on their first attempt. It will take years to chip away at their marketshare for the Wrangler.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

Mentat Bashar (05-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,198 Times in 3,702 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Interesting. I would love to see GMC field a Wrangler type vehicle, if GM owned Jeep I'd be looking at a Wrangler for my next vehicle (as long as they had better quality, friends wit them have constant problems, though part could be from the modifications they've made).

Is there another reason GM might be testing the Wrangler? Maybe to benchmark the Colorado's off-roading capabilities?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (06-03-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Interesting. I would love to see GMC field a Wrangler type vehicle, if GM owned Jeep I'd be looking at a Wrangler for my next vehicle (as long as they had better quality, friends wit them have constant problems, though part could be from the modifications they've made).

Is there another reason GM might be testing the Wrangler? Maybe to benchmark the Colorado's off-roading capabilities?
    Maybe a Colorado Based SUV...but IMO that'll be apples/oranges. The Jeep is purpose built, the Colorado-UV will be a derivative of an existing pickup architecture. If they can make it work and 90% as capable as a JK/JL...good, but to me, if that's what they're building, maybe they should be benchmarking the 4Runner.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 BahamaTodd's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Maybe a Colorado Based SUV...but IMO that'll be apples/oranges. The Jeep is purpose built, the Colorado-UV will be a derivative of an existing pickup architecture. If they can make it work and 90% as capable as a JK/JL...good, but to me, if that's what they're building, maybe they should be benchmarking the 4Runner.
    I'm sure they'll be benchmarking the Bronco as soon as they can get their hands on it.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

GM is probably looking for a way to synthesize the Jeep's Jeepiness onto the Equinox platform.

If GM is actually making a move on Jeep they're about 10 years too late,much like Ford and the Bronco.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

377Z (06-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 579 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

GMC needs a Hummer in the lineup.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (05-30-2019),eklauss (06-03-2019),JBsZ06 (06-01-2019),Neanderthal (06-03-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 748 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

The only way I can see GM dethroning the Wrangler, or even getting close is to hit a better price point. Jeep has found their ceiling as sales have definitely leveled off. I think that's why they waited so long to release the Gladiator prices, and putting them within close range of the JLU prices. GM definitely has a hard uphill battle, as consensus at the offroad events is that people were let down by the Chevy Blazer, and now all attention is with the Bronco, and from what I've been able to get from Ford so far, it shouldn't disappoint. Not to mention that GM hasn't been a serious contender in the offroad game for awhile. The sticker package that the Z71 has evolved to hasn't helped, and the ZR2 Colorado is very slowly starting to show up in this segment. Ford has done very well with the Raptor, Ram has done well with the Rebel, and the Power Wagon is a beast offroad, plus the Wrangler, and then there's TRD. GM is going to have to prove that they're serious and can play in this sandbox now.
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

377Z (06-06-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,494 Times in 3,758 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

This should be a GMC.

And there should also be a GMC-branded Wrangler competitor, and more importantly, a proper RWD Grand Cherokee competitor (Envoy).
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

eklauss (06-03-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

this makes sense since they want to invest possibly in the plant that builds the Canyon and the Colorado.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Stop calling the Blazer a sport vehicle. it's annoying.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,021 Posts

Ford used GM's proving grounds to test the F150 before, couldn't FCA have done the same thing with the Jeep?

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/0...g-grounds.html

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

If GM is going to go head to head with the ICONIC Wrangler, they got a lot a work to do. Nothing in the current arsenal of Colorado or Silverado parts bins is Wrangler worthy. The frame, the suspension, the chassis all need to be right before you even get to the engine and front and rear diffs. Which obviously need to be solid axles.

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast