Impala, Monte Carlo Get Empowered

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impala, Monte Carlo Get Empowered

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Impala, Monte Carlo Get Empowered

Empowering the Impala
    G. Chambers Williams III
    Web Posted: 02/12/2005
    San Antonio Express-News

For the first time since the mid-'90s, a Chevrolet bearing the Impala name will be getting a V-8 engine.

At the recent Greater Los Angeles Auto Show, General Motors North America President Gary Cowger and GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz introduced the redesigned 2006 Impala and Monte Carlo to automotive journalists during a media preview.

The Impala name goes back to 1958, when Chevy introduced it as the top-of-the-line version of its full-size sedan, which that year featured rounded front and rear fenders (a year before the introduction of the radical rear fender wings on the 1959 models).

Monte Carlo was introduced in 1970 as a midsize sport coupe model and became a darling of NASCAR racing.

Both went away in the mid-'80s after some radical redesign and downsizing. The Impala name was briefly resurrected in the mid-'90s for a special Impala SS version of the long-running full-size rear-drive Chevy Caprice, built at the GM plant in Arlington. That car, along with the rest of the Caprice and Buick Roadmaster wagon lines, was discontinued after the 1996 model year, along with V-8 engines in Chevy sedans. (You could still get one in the Corvette and Camaro, of course.)

For 2000, GM revived the Impala name on a new larger-than-midsize sedan with front-wheel drive and V-6 power, and a year later added a two-door version of this model to the lineup, bringing back the Monte Carlo name.

The current Impala, which has undergone evolutionary changes but no major makeovers since its introduction, has been a good seller for GM, tallying more than a million sales since introduction.

Coupes don't sell that well these days, but even so, the Monte Carlo has been a success, GM says, probably based on a combination of its edgy styling and retro name.

Chevy introduced SS (SuperSport) models of both of these front-drive cars last year, with some sporty styling cues and a supercharged version of the Impala and Monte Carlo's 3.8-liter V-6 engine. What was missing, of course, was a V-8, even a normally aspirated one.

It seemed almost criminal to roll out SuperSport cars with V-6 engines, and the 240 horsepower of the supercharged V-6 is less than that of the normally aspirated V-6 engines in some Japanese midsize sedans, such as the 260-horsepower Nissan Maxima, 270-hp. Acura TL and 275 hp. Infiniti G35, for instance.

With its $28,425 price tag, the 2005 Impala SS has, besides the supercharged engine, upgraded audio, tires, cast-aluminum wheels, leather sport bucket seats and oil pressure gauge and a supercharged performance-equipment package (boost gauge, performance suspension, unique rear spoiler and dual exhaust).

The '05 Monte Carlo SS, at $28,225, has pretty much the same upgrades.

But for 2006, we will see the return of the small-block V-8 to these nameplates. The engine in the Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS will be the new LS4 5.3-liter V-8 with "displacement on demand" technology that cuts out four of the cylinders at highway speeds to help raise fuel economy by up to 12 percent.

This engine will be rated at 303 horsepower and 323 foot-pounds of torque. It will be normally aspirated, but perhaps an aftermarket supercharger kit will be available — maybe already is, since this is a version of an engine that has been around at GM for a long time and is used in similar form in other vehicles including the midsize GM sport utilities.

GM says the V-8 models are expected to compete in the "hotly contested midcar segment" that includes those Chrysler division vehicles.

Why put a V-8 in these cars at this time? My theory on that is simple: because DaimlerChrysler came out with the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 engine in the new Chrysler 300 sedan and Dodge Magnum wagon last year and this year will roll out a new Dodge Charger, a sedan version of the Magnum, with the same engine. Those cars also have the displacement-on-demand setup.

Audio systems will include a base AM/FM/compact disc unit with six speakers an up-level MP3/CD radio that can accommodate XM satellite radio, another that adds a six-disc in-dash CD changer, and on the Impala, an optional premium Bose system.

Chevy says the Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS models will have unique front-end styling, including "dual-split grilles that have a black-diamond crosshatch pattern."

All Monte Carlo models will have a rear decklid spoiler, but the SS will have a unique spoiler Chevy says is "suggestive of NASCAR-style spoilers."

FULL Article Here: http://www.mysanantonio.com/business....95923a0d.html

More Photos Here: http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=10085
    And Here: http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=10087
    Last edited by Ming; 02-12-2005 at 09:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Impala, Monte Carlo Get Empowered

Let the countdown to RWD comments begin...

But seriously....I think the Impala SS and Monte SS will be a healthy injection of excitement for the two nameplates after years of mediocre "SS" product - product that was only just good enough to barely keep up with naturally aspirated Nissans, even when supercharged.

Sure, there will be the usual complaints about transmission choices and the FWD layout, but if Chevy had left these cars to languish unchanged until Zeta, it would have been tragic. Too extensive to really be called a "stop gap", I expect versions of these cars with their various engine trim levels will still be around even after Zeta debuts ("Impala Classic"?), so I really hope they are good - and better than the competition for the price.

On the bad side, given their aging underpinnings and the fact that the similarly hotted up 4-speed tranny, V8, FWD Bonneville GXP didn't really wow many of the Auto Rags out there, I feel these two will suffer from a lot of the same complaints. And given that they are "refreshes" (extensive though they are) I don't expect much praise at all from the critical folks at the likes of Car & Driver.
    Last edited by Ming; 02-12-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks

Wasn't the Monte Carlo reintro'd around '95 (not 2000) or so as a coupe version of the Lumina Sedan? Just the same....it's good to see V-8's back again in the lineup!

Now if they would just make them rear wheel drive.......

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

waaaaaa!!!! I want RWD V8 POWAH!!! I want a V8 with more than 303HP!!! I WANT RWD!!!

Oh, wait a second, GM allready did that. It's called a GTO :O!!!

Anyways, on topic. These cars would actually be contenders if they had 5 speed autos. As is though, they just dont cut it. Close, but no cigar

Thanks

About 157 pages on a previous thread said about everything there is to say.

In short, I won't rip on the FWD as long as a RWD Mopar-competitor appears somewhere int he lineup. Buick Lucerne isn't it, Bonneville is gone, so who knows if we'll ever see it.

So the big letdown here is styling. This new Impala would be fine if they'd put just a smidgen of effort into pleasing the traditionalists. But instead, it's about as nondescript as any other car on the road. Just a disctinctive headlight and taillight treatment would have done the job. Pathetic effort here, plain and simple.

Thanks

I really do like Chevrolet's new engine options! The Impala and Monte Carlo are household names. Americans trust and know these names...not for V-8s though. GM was 'scared' to bring out a proper supercharged V-8 or at least a 280+ hp V-6, which embarrassed me a lot. Now, they are bringing out the power back into the car....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

I honestly think that even though the SS remains FWD, having a V8 will be great press.

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

Thanks

RWD and 6 Speed autos are on the way. We've got the engines, now we need the rest of the drivetrain to go along with it. Be patient. GM is playing catchup, but soon we'll be leapfrogging. (I Hope!)

Thanks

moan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RCtennis3811
    I honestly think that even though the SS remains FWD, having a V8 will be great press.

didn't do much for the Bonneville.

Thanks

It's not rwd, but on a good note, it will finally be good to hear the rumble of a V8 in the impala and monte carlo again. I look at this as more of a hold-over until zeta gets here. But it's cool GM is doing this.

Thanks

Ok, Now the Monte Carlo has a new power plant, Now please change the car...Its UGLY!

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 dreadnaught1181's Avatar
    Thanks

I assume the chassis and suspension have been strengthened to handle the extra power right? Otherwise these cars will be shredded by the press as being perfect examples of why hi-po FWD cars are pointless.

Thanks

I remember the pre 2004 Monte SS's had the 3800 engine w/o a supercharger. I don't think there was a better way to insult the SS heritage. I think those cars, while RWD would be nice, GM has done a good job controlling torque steer in its FWD cars. The Grand Prix GTP and some of the Northstar Caddies I've driven were well controlled to the point torque steer almost became an afterthought. Some other cars, like the Nissan Maxima, has massive amounts of torque steer.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Talking Re: Impala, Monte Carlo Get Empowered

I would not buy one because if I am getting a V8 I am getting RWD or at least AWD but they did do a good job concidering what they had to work with. The RWD Chevy cannot get here fast enough.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information