GM Inside News Forum banner

GM teases new Chevy electric pickup truck prototype

9K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  CaptainDan 
#1 ·
GM teases new Chevy electric pickup truck prototype
Electrek
Fred Lambert
Nov. 19th 2020

GM has teased a new electric pickup truck prototype in the background of a new investor presentation.

We bring you a glimpse of it.

Late last year, after both Tesla and Ford confirmed plans to bring all-electric pickup trucks to market in 2021, GM announced its own electric pickup truck program on the same timeline.

Earlier this year, GM confirmed that it is going to be an electric Hummer pickup with 1000 hp and three-second 0-60 acceleration.

GM has now unveiled the GMC Hummer EV and while it is an impressive vehicle, it’s not really in the same category as the other electric pickup trucks that Tesla, Rivian, and Ford are bringing to market.

Though we recently learned that GM is also going to have an entry in the segment.

They confirmed that they are planning a Silverado-like electric pickup truck with 400 miles of range:
*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The shape of that front wheel well will be the subject of HUGE debate. I kinda like its uniqueness.

It does appear to be structured like the Avalanche. I suspect the Silvy EV is one of the models GM is now fast tracking to market.

#3 ·
At first I thought the whole black part in the wheel well is open space. But looking at the rear wheel you can see a black molding on the top part, I assume the same is on the front and the lighting doesn't allow us to see it.

What I can see looks nicely sculpted, looks interesting above the rear wheel well and behind the drivers door.

#6 ·
Auto News announces:

"GM also moved up the production timelines for the GMC Hummer EV, three other GMC EVs, four Chevrolet EVs and four Cadillacs. The Lyriq, Cadillac's first full EV, will launch in the first quarter of 2022, nine months sooner than officials previously said.

It now plans to introduce a Chevy pickup 11 months sooner than planned, a Chevy compact crossover by 21 months and a second electric GMC pickup by 40 months."

https://www.autonews.com/future-pro...m_campaign=20201119&utm_content=hero-headline

#11 ·
A lot of info in that article!

Going to be a lot of overtime going on at GM. Pulling forward vehicles by 11, 21 and 40 months - wow - in comparison to the near endless wait we had for the Zeta Camaro relaunch.

And a 60% reduction in battery cost for gen 2 Ultium - another wow. I assume that is GM's path to profitable BEV's and when we will see GM go all out with mainstream BEV's.

Going to be exciting to watch GM's transformation over the next 5 years. Hopefully it's a gamble that will pay off.

As exciting as this is, once GM is "there" I can imagine things being a little boring. For all intents all GM's vehicles will be built off the same bones, they'll be the same underneath, they'll be styling exercises more than anything.

#16 ·
Does look like a Chevy version of the Hummer.

I'm not understanding why they are going for warp speed acceleration, instead of offering reasonable acceleration of 7 sec 0-60 with a lot more range. Seems like a very logical tradeoff when the big Ac hilles hell for evs is range. It's a big deal when it takes 1/2 an hour to recharge with super charging and virtually all day long with household current.

Probably the Chevy won't have the crab crawl four wheel steering, T tops and so forth.

Still with trailering and hauling, EVs are not really touching range of gas trucks.

#19 · (Edited)
Also, GM has updated top EV range to 450 miles from 400. For once, perhaps... GM just MIGHT be under promising and over delivering? GM stock is extending its 52 week high daily.

"GM also said the maximum range of its proprietary Ultium batteries has increased to 450 miles and that it would break ground on a battery innovation lab and manufacturing technology center for Ultium batteries next year.

Second-generation Ultium batteries, expected by mid-decade, will cost 60 percent less than today's batteries, GM said, narrowing the cost gap between EVs and gasoline-powered vehicles." -Auto News

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.