GM to Show Volt, U.S. Cruze at LAIAS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM to Show Volt, U.S. Cruze at LAIAS

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

GM publicly claiming 40 MPG highway for the Cruze.
    www.gminsidenews.com
    November 17, 2009

DETROIT – Chevrolet affirms its commitment to fuel solutions and building refined, eco-friendly vehicles with the debut of the U.S. production version of the Cruze sedan at the Los Angeles Auto Show, on Dec. 2. The Cruze, along with the much-anticipated Volt electric vehicle, will give visitors to the L.A. show a close-up view of Chevrolet’s expanding lineup of gas-friendly to gas-free products.

“With expected highway fuel economy up to 40 miles per gallon, Cruze will be extremely gas friendly while the Volt electric vehicle can be operated gas-free," said Brent Dewar, vice president, Chevrolet. “Chevrolet's focus is on forward-looking technologies to the benefit of our customers, such as the highly efficient, small-displacement turbocharged engine in the Cruze or the Volt electric vehicle with extended range.”

The Cruze has already launched to high acclaim in Europe and Asia and has undergone refinement for America. It goes on sale in the U.S. in the third quarter of 2010 but has already logged more than 4 million miles in quality and durability testing worldwide, making it one of the most globally tested Chevrolet products prior to a U.S. launch.

Cruze is designed to achieve class-leading highway fuel economy using a new family of efficient engines that include a 1.4L turbo. It will lead the way for Chevrolet in small-displacement, turbocharged engines that are designed for excellent fuel efficiency and durability – while also being fun to drive.

Defying preconceptions of what a compact car can be, Cruze will offer a more spacious interior and cargo capacity than the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla, and upscale infotainment amenities such as a navigation system, Bluetooth connectivity and XM Satellite Radio. Ten standard air bags that provide a safety cocoon for occupants – along with OnStar– also make it one of the safest vehicles in the segment.

The Chevrolet Volt is an electric vehicle with extended-range capability. It is expected to drive up to 40 miles on electricity without using gasoline or producing tailpipe emissions. When the Volt’s lithium-ion battery is depleted of energy, an engine/generator seamlessly operates to extend the total driving range to more than 300 miles before refueling.

Chevrolet will announce plans for initial retail markets where the Volt will be sold. Chevrolet will also announce the winner of a nationwide consumer competition to name a Volt unique paint color. Consumers determine the winner by voting now for their favorite of three finalist names at www.chevroletvoltage.com, until 8 a.m. Eastern time on Dec. 1.

From Nov. 27-29, the Volt will be on display next to Bloomingdale’s at the Westfield Century City mall in West Los Angeles. During regular mall hours, visitors to the Chevrolet Volt display may get two free tickets each to the L.A. Auto Show, while supplies last. The L.A. Auto Show opens to the public Dec. 4.

Production for the Volt is expected to begin in late 2010. Pricing has not been announced.

The Chevrolet show exhibit also will feature the all-new, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro sports coupe and Chevrolet Equinox compact crossover SUV. The popularity of these vehicles helped Chevrolet boost sales by 9 percent in October, including a significant 31-percent increase in retail sales.

The Camaro continues to distance itself from its closest competitor as a fuel-efficient interpretation of a 21st century sports car, achieving 29 miles per gallon on the highway when equipped with the popular 304-horsepower direct injected V-6. Camaro has been a leader in the regular sports car segment for the last five months.

Demand for the Camaro continues to be strong, as Chevrolet now has more than 36,000 sold orders for the car.

The all-new 2010 Equinox is a compact crossover that combines distinctive design, extensive functionality and outstanding efficiency. At 32 mpg highway, the Equinox gets better fuel economy than the Honda CR-V and the Toyota RAV-4. It even beats the Ford Escape Hybrid while costing $7,000 less.

In just a few short months, Equinox has captured 10 percent of the critical compact crossover segment, its best share since August of 2007 and up 4.6 percent from a year ago. More than half of 2010 Equinox customers traded in a non-GM vehicle (based on internal PIN data). Demand is so strong for the Equinox that the plant where it is built recently added a third shift.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Buick Rendezvous /99 GMC

Re: GM to Show Volt, U.S. Cruze at LAIAS

Need to add a coupe model to the Cruze line up as soon as possible after introduction!

Should have been ready to introduce in the US with the sedan.

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Very interesting! At least this means we should also get a peek at all this and possibly more for NAIAS in January. Now, to find a way to get some press passes for the show....

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Chevrolet Silverado

California is probably the best place to start showing off these two vehicles... its where GM needs the biggest push to become relevant again...and it will show all those Prius lovers in the Golden State that the General will have what it takes to earn their consideration/purchase in the future.
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the first time I've seen these two vehicles side-by-side and I definitely favour the front end of the Volt. For me, the styling is more aggressive and coherent.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, does every Chevrolet need the same screaming huge bowtie that's scaled for the Silverado?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 783 Posts

>The Cruze has already launched to high acclaim in Europe and Asia and has undergone refinement for America.<

Really? All I've read are fair to middling reviews, damning the car with faint praise. What 'refinements' are they talking about? The same crappy base 1.8L underpowered engine and everything else besides the optional 1.4L Turbo (not DI as promised).
    This car looks boring already and is underpowered. Not exactly a Home Run. Not even close.
    They had all this time to make improvements and ditch the idiotic name and yet here it is, the same mediocrity.
    Not good enough, 'new' GM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    This is the first time I've seen these two vehicles side-by-side and I definitely favour the front end of the Volt. For me, the styling is more aggressive and coherent.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, does every Chevrolet need the same screaming huge bowtie that's scaled for the Silverado?
    Man, that thing is huge isn't it? I guess they want to add tacky to poorly styled.

The Volt exterior should have been the next Cobalt. Now THAT would have been a Home Run. Same name, tough styling.
    Not the awkward Cruze. I haven't been this dissapointed in a new GM car since the Saturn Ion came out.
    Last edited by steve333; 11-17-2009 at 12:57 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMJoe View Post
    Need to add a coupe model to the Cruze line up as soon as possible after introduction!

Its already in the works...

Thanks

I agree...I think it would be a mistake to miss out on the coupe. The colbalt SS is an incredible car and would be much missed if the cruze does not introduce a replacement. A twin-turbo inline 4 coupe SS to compete with Focus would be awesome! nice car though
    Hidden Content
    Dream Ride:
    2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 - Blue Devil

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ditto, the needs to be a Cruze coupe, kid afordable, and a five like the Astra to round out the line.

Thanks

I usually go to the LAIAS every once in a while. This year I surely like to make it in light of the many new cars which have been or will be introduced this year. Like the Volt and others. The last time I attended I was little bit disappointed.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

I concur.
    The 4dr should come out in the Spring/late Spring/early Summer so the buyers of the car can enjoy it during the Summer months. I would think that there would be more sales of it during the warm months as oppose to cooler/cold months of the fall & winter of next year.

Perhaps a convertible of the coupe will be part of it's lineup??

!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

Chevy Cruze..........soon to be the huge hit of the rental car companies.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

wow - the Volt proves how awkward the styling is on the Cruze... the Cruze looks like a bunch of totally disconnected pieces next to the cohesive design on the Volt.

The Volt is pretty sweet loooking even if it is different than the concept
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Good news about the production Volt being shown off. Like others, I find the styling of the Cruze quite awkward. I wonder which, if any, auto show, will see the XTS and ATS being unveiled? (they both damn well better have fins!).
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information