GM reveals new Chevy Tracker, Trailblazer in China

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM reveals new Chevy Tracker, Trailblazer in China

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 880 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Both were presented first in their respective Redline trims.
    Apr 16, 2019
    by Justin King
    leftlanenews.com

General Motors has revealed the all-new Chevrolet Trailblazer and smaller Tracker at Auto Shanghai 2019.

Serving as downmarket adaptations of the Buick Encore and Encore GX, the new Tracker and Trailblazer have been presented in their sporty Redline appearance packages.

The Tracker will serve as Chevy's new entry-level small crossover, targeted at the "internet generation." The Blackline edition features unique wheels and a blacked-out color theme.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image credited to, and courtesy of, leftlanenews.com
    "La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: GM reveals new Chevy Tracker, Trailblazer in China

From the little we see, the products look nice, and the designs are "divergent" enough from one another to stand on their own even if they are similarly sized.

I'm interested in seeing more pictures and details on both, as well as confirming which model will make it to the US (rumors are that one is based on GM's new global emerging markets platform, which is not likely to be suitable for the US, while the other is based on GM's new scalable FWD-platform).

Quote Originally Posted by leftlanenews.com
    General Motors has revealed the all-new Chevrolet Trailblazer....
    Reviving the Trailblazer moniker, and slapping it on anything other than an actual "full-size" SUV that has some off-road capability, is seriously shortsighted --- whether it is in China, the United States, Canada, or otherwise.

What's more, re-using the nameplate for a small crossover product can only frustrate (and possibly undermine) GM's own efforts to market and sell the much-more-capable Trailblazer that already exists in other markets.

Ultimately, these kinds of decisions only underscore that there’s a group of decision makers at GM that don't have a clue what they’re doing.

For the love of God, why is there this endless, insatiable need at the Ren Cen to re-purpose old monikers?

Yes, old names might be recognizable and consumers may instantly remember it. In that vein, perhaps you "save money" in reusing the nameplate because a potential customer associates the moniker and brand together.

And yet, when a name is reused for a different type of product in a different (sized) segment, what does that recognition buy you? Why potentially confuse customers or resurrect possible “poor perceptions” of the previous iteration of that nameplate?

There are LOTS of companies out there that specialize in finding and/or creating names for products. New product names can be secured, negotiated, or merely invented. There is no shortage of very capable enterprises to help GM in such endeavors.

Why GM's brass simply utilize such readily available resources, as opposed to constantly look to the past, is beyond me.

This is incredibly frustrating.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 04-16-2019 at 12:54 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-16-2019),buildacariwant (04-16-2019),Envoy4Life (04-16-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (04-17-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,070 Times in 3,626 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Well, that's disappointing. I got excited and thought it would be another RWD SUV that would possibly be brought over to properly contend with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Instead, we got FWD bleh. Oh well.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

4gm (04-16-2019),buildacariwant (04-16-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (04-17-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,070 Times in 3,626 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Isn't the car on the right our new Trax?

Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Well, that's disappointing. I got excited and thought it would be another RWD SUV that would possibly be brought over to properly contend with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Instead, we got FWD bleh. Oh well.
    I can sympathize with the sentiment.

To be candid, the evoking of such a reaction by the GM faithful is very simple to avoid -- just call the product something else.

It's not hard. It's not complicated. It requires no more than a solid 60 seconds of consideration.

What's more, considering that the most recent iteration of the Trailblazer was actually are larger product that the then-discontinued Blazer -- and the opposite would hold true in this present scenario -- and the head-scratching only continues.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with the actual product that debuted. From what little we see it is a modern, attractive, and competitive product. So this isn't a swipe at the product itself; only how it is designated.

Isn't the car on the right our new Trax?

No. The product on the right is the Trailblazer. In all likelihood that is the product we are going to get -- whether it's called Trailblazer in our market or not.

A few things give this away, but the biggest rationale is that, of all the mules we see running around Stateside, all of them have this "lower-front headlamp" look that echoes the re-debuted Blazer. If they are testing them on our domestic roads, chances are that this is the product we're going to get in the United States/Canada/NAFTA-region.

Furthermore, if the reports we are reading are correct, the product on the left (the Tracker), is build off of a platform that might not get through domestic certification. That new platform is one based on a joint GM do Brazil/GM China venture that seeks to produce a modern platform to use in global markets. Chances any such platform did not have the NAFTA region in mind for purposes of crash-worthiness, etc.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 04-16-2019 at 01:34 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (04-20-2019)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Since those two look some much alike, along with the Blazer, why not give then the same name but a designation at the end based on the size? Then you could combine all three into one marketing program instead of throwing old names around that don't match size or functionality of the old models.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dratnol For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (04-17-2019),scford58 (04-27-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

I'm really trying but wow is GM design just lacking these days, are their actually real people who go to a dealer and want to purchase something so bland and generic looking?

The left looks like a cookie cutter Hyundai and the right looks like a explorer except it's worse because it is FWD and has those terrible split head lamp look that is a damn plague on the automotive industry right now imo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,011 Times in 540 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Well this is exactly what I expected given the rumors and in fact I think these look pretty good.

Use of the Trailblazer name is another story.

Personally I think these look way better than the US/Canada Equinox!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

joey (04-16-2019),sledgehammer777 (04-17-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    I'm really trying but wow is GM design just lacking these days, are their actually real people who go to a dealer and want to purchase something so bland and generic looking?

The left looks like a cookie cutter Hyundai and the right looks like a explorer except it's worse because it is FWD and has those terrible split head lamp look that is a damn plague on the automotive industry right now imo.
    You people are so hung up on old names. These are tiny CUV's, that just like the Ford Eco-Sport and Escape have to replace the dead small sedans. NOBODY makes a RWD CUV's!

The Jeep GC is an over 10 year old design and the Wrangler is what, POST WW II! Not to mention they're much larger. These micro-SUV's are for the urban millennials, not off-road towing pickup replacements.

People seem to be going gaga over the Blazer and Hyundai styling, LED lighting everywhere.

I like the flat roof on the Trailblazer over the new Encore GX.

Why doesn't GM make them at Lordstown or Oshawa? GM get's out of Europe, Australia, India, and Russia but keeps production in Korea. They have unions and only sell a few hundred cars there a month. Make them in North America!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 972 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I think they are both winners...

These things if priced well with string powertrains will be leaders in their segment.

Jmo and I could care less they are not body on frame rwd biased vehicles..

I had a coul,e gmc envoys back when they were popular and they were good vehicles.

Todays cuvs are about snow, rain and maube dirt roads...

Nobodies taking their old trailblazer off roading...

Hot rod cuv s like the porsche macan and alfa stelvio are where the halo cuv brands are at...

Chevy would do well to build some power in the trailblazer and hot rod it for not too much money...

A 310 hp turbo 4 would be a great start...(not going to happen but it should)

Let me play devils advocate....i think these two are huge winners if priced well with string engines..
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (04-16-2019),joey (04-16-2019),LONGHORN (04-19-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,641 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

THese look a lot better than the current Trax. Reuse the old names so we can continue to confuse the Hell out of potential customers too.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

nadepalma (04-16-2019),orville (04-16-2019)

Thanks

I think these are spot-on in every way, at least from this distance. Jeep also has a dual small utility portfolio with Compass and Renegade which are hugely successful. I could certainly see both of these coming to the US. Trailblazer could be Chevy's answer to Ford's small "Off-Road Imaged" SUV, while the Tracker/Trax/Encore dominate the smallest utility segment.
    Last edited by BORG; 04-16-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

As an aside, with all the talk of the Trailblazer name, nothing was mentioned about how the Tracker name is still used overseas (though it was eliminated in the US/Canada). I was never a fan of the Trax name, and always thought the Tracker moniker was a far better name to revive (at the very least it is near the size of the original, unlike the old/new Trailblazer disparity).

Anyway, I saw this Tracker meme elsewhere and thought it was funny enough to post :-)

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (04-16-2019),redriderjf87 (04-16-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (04-17-2019)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Onyx Black Yukon Denali

Realy, would you buy a Chevy Trailblazer Made In China, over an American Made Grand Cherokee, Ford Explorer, MB GLE or BMW X5. I know that I would not, but then again I look at the place of origin and not the Manufacturer.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC redriderjf87's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1981 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    As an aside, with all the talk of the Trailblazer name, nothing was mentioned about how the Tracker name is still used overseas (though it was eliminated in the US/Canada). I was never a fan of the Trax name, and always thought the Tracker moniker was a far better name to revive (at the very least it is near the size of the original, unlike the old/new Trailblazer disparity).

Anyway, I saw this Tracker meme elsewhere and thought it was funny enough to post :-)

Ha, I actually do now that you post it. At least it's not completely bland and has a front end different than Chevy's cars of the time.
    1981 Camaro Z-28 - 383 SBC, FiTech EFI, TKO600, 4.11's

2015 Colorado WT - 2.5L, 6-spd

2018 Yamaha TW200 - bone stock

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast