GM Restarts Volt Production; Output Now 3 Times Initial Rate; Only 100 @ Dealers

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Restarts Volt Production; Output Now 3 Times Initial Rate; Only 100 @ Dealers

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,049 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

GM Restarts Volt Production; Output Now 3 Times Initial Rate; Only 100 @ Dealers

GM Restarts Volt Production
    Detroit News

David Shepardson/ Detroit News Washington Bureau
    July 18, 2011

General Motors Co. said today it had restarted production of its extended range electric Chevrolet Volt earlier this week.

After about a month of halted production, GM's Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant has begun production of its 2012 Volt, said Rob Peterson, a GM spokesman.

The plant is now producing 2012 Volt models at about three times the rate of earlier production, he said.

There are fewer than 100 2011 Volts on dealer lots, and only 1 in 9 Chevrolet dealers that sells the Volt has one for sale, he said.

In an interview in June with The Detroit News, GM chairman and CEO Dan Akerson said the company would meet its production goals of 10,000 U.S. sales this year and 5,000 foreign sales. Nissan has said it plans to sell just over 10,000 Leafs this year

Last month, GM said it is dropping the base price of the Volt by $1,000 and offering new option packages, colors and sporty wheels as it rolls out the vehicle in all 50 states.

GM said the 2012 base model Volt will cost $39,995, which includes an $850 destination freight charge but excludes tax, title and license fees. The 2011 Volt started at $41,000.

The 2012 base model Volt won't have Bose speakers or a navigation system.

GM also offered a $349 lease price for the 2011 Volt, but hasn't yet decided on a lease price for the 2012 model, Peterson said.

---------------------
    Full article at link.
    Last edited by Titanic; 07-20-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Format

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,049 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: GM RESTARTS VOLT PRODUCTION; Output Now 3 Times Initial Rate; Only 100 @ Dealers

Remember this when July sales figures hit.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GM RESTARTS VOLT PRODUCTION; Output Now 3 Times Initial Rate; Only 100 @ Dealers

GM also offered a $349 lease price for the 2011 Volt, but hasn't yet decided on a lease price for the 2012 model, Peterson said.
    This is new.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 535 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Remember this when July sales figures hit.
    Yea right... there will still be people at the end of July saying OMGZ what is wrong with the Volt...

Will be very interesting to see how the Volt sells when you can get it anywhere and it has decent supply, I hope it does well for GM.
    Hidden Content

New Aluminum body? GM don't currr

6.2 for life

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC neuronbob's Avatar
    Thanks

This is great news! I can hardly wait for the Volt to get to Ohio. Leasing one for my practice will be a no-brainer, given the amount I have to drive for work. I hope they keep the $349 monthly lease, they would have to if they are planning to sell to businesses.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

They just raised the price of the Leaf, so now it's time to see which one is ready to do battle in the sub 40k segment...
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I wonder what the specifics of the leases are? I would be tempted on a $349 lease with a relatively low down payment and at least 10,500 miles per year. The gas savings would definitely offset the electric increases.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure that is very near the terms of the current Volt lease. Might even be 12k.
    The 350 a month deal with 2800 down I believe? Very good deal...
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

They de-contented the vehicle and knocked a whopping $ 5 off the sticker. Geeezzz.

Thanks

This is great news! I can hardly wait for the Volt to get to Ohio. Leasing one for my practice will be a no-brainer, given the amount I have to drive for work. I hope they keep the $349 monthly lease, they would have to if they are planning to sell to businesses.
    Thats the problem, not that I am in the market, but why the hell is taking so long for this car to be at every Chevrolet dealer in the US? I have not even seen a Volt on the street and I live in Miami, a major metro area, is this GM or Tesla? There should be a stock of 3 of these at every Chevrolet dealer in the US period, whats the excuse?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    GM said the 2012 base model Volt will cost $39,995, which includes an $850 destination freight charge but excludes tax, title and license fees. The 2011 Volt started at $41,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by AirCleaner View Post
    They de-contented the vehicle and knocked a whopping $ 5 off the sticker. Geeezzz.
    Math was not your strongest subject I take it?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

They lowered the base price, but a 2012 Volt equipped the same as a 2011 Volt will cost more.

There is one for sale (yes, I inquired) at the local Chevy dealer here, has been out front for weeks...still sitting there (no dealer markup either). You would think with the "demand" for these this one would have been sold a long time ago.
    In my garage:

2006 Pontiac GTO
    2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
    2012 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT
    2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    This is new.
    Nope, they have had that lease since the Volt was first available for public sale.

Quote Originally Posted by AirCleaner View Post
    Better check your calculator (hint: $41,000 - $39,995 = $1,005) ...

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

now that leaf price has increased things just got more interesting. $4k isnt a lot of money when you're already spending over $35k. Volt looks better and has more capability for less than 5 grand more. Not too bad.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

There is a black Volt at a house that I drive by regularly. I love it. Everytime I drive by, I get this feeling that I must have one haha.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information