GM ponders how to replicate success of Camaro in redesign

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM ponders how to replicate success of Camaro in redesign

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automotive News
    March 13, 2012
    by Rick Kranz

General Motors is wrestling with development of the next-generation Chevrolet Camaro.

GM views the current car as a big success, and the automaker is cautiously taking steps to avoid — well, let's call it screwing up the redesigned Camaro. The car is due in the fall of 2015.

What's the issue? Well, there are several, says Al Oppenheiser, Camaro's chief engineer.

Weight reduction is one.

"We always get hammered for mass, and that's not going to be getting easier going forward" with the upcoming CAFE regulations, Oppenheiser said.

"Displacement, number of cylinders, all of these things you need to think about."

Then there's styling.

"This is a very successful car," he said during an interview this month at a Chevrolet press event. "In some ways it is actually going to be tougher" to create the redesigned car, which will be the Camaro's sixth generation.

"Do you make it look like a second-gen?" he said, refering to the 1970-1981 Camaro. Or "do you make it look like the first gen?" -- a reference to the 1967-1969 model.

Oppenheiser won't say which direction the team is leaning, but you can understand the concern.

Camaro held 42 percent of the rear-drive performance coupe market in 2011, composed of the Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger and a recent newcomer, the Hyundai Genesis coupe.

Chevrolet sold 88,249 Camaros last year, followed by Mustang, 70,438, and the Challenger, 39,534.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: GM ponders how to replicate success of Camaro in redesign

I do enjoy me some svelte, European-looking 70 1/2 split-bumper Camaro.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Make it lighter. Make the rear seat a little more useable for small families (friends going on a short trip). Make the rear visibility better. Make it fun to drive. Don't screw up the styling. Completely modern with some heritage cues. Stick with the "no replicar" mantra.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    Make it lighter. Make the rear seat a little more useable for small families (friends going on a short trip). Make the rear visibility better. Make it fun to drive. Don't screw up the styling. Completely modern with some heritage cues. Stick with the "no replicar" mantra.
    I completely agree. This car needs to be lighter and visibility in all directions needs to improve. I swear when I drive my brother's 2SS it's as if the rear window is a gunner's slit and the rearview mirror is as big as the entire windshield. I'm not saying to do it but I'd like to see a modern interpretation of a '72 split bumper (artist rendition, that is).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Also make the tech-toy options leading in the class (compliant with new Big Brother Government musings, of course).
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

The Camaro design is still fresh, even thought it is 90% of what the concept design was that debuted 8 years ago.

This alone should be telling GM that a clean slate design would be an absolute no go.

I can't imagine how they would pull off a 2nd generation clone like they did with the 5th Gen and the 69 Camaro. I am sorry but I am not a fan of the 2nd gen front end.

If they are going to do a clone they need to go 3rd gen.

Derivative design, use the 2nd gen body and go with a different front end, 67 maybe?

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

Going with alpha should get the cowl and leading edge of the hood down a little. It will be less chunky looking.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I would make it lighter like the ATS and take styling cues from the 2ndGen with the split bumper. I personally think it should look like a cross between a Aston Martin and a 70 1/2 Camaro RS/Current Camaro.

Thanks

rear quarters of the 71, grill of the 69 (or current style, just different) small flares over all the wheel wells and bigger windows with a slightly lower belt line, now for the interior, sit in a F-18 jet, then try to replicate it in automotive terms, tail lights, move away from the twin lamps, and move to circular design, you had a great thing going with them, why force a change, it makes it distinctive and the guy in the mustang has something to look at

that will be $200k and a free 6th gen camaro, your welcome

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MrMax's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't post as often as I used to, but considering the topic, I felt I must.

In my opinion, I think what the Camaro team should do is consider this Camaro as a starting point. Nevermind the "need" to encorporate design cues from other cars in the lineup. Rather, consider the success of this car, take a long look at it, and step back.

Its a damn good looking car.

8 years and at least 3 movies later. Some may consider this sacrilege, but from a design standpoint, consider this the start and evolve from there. Don't abandon that muscle bound muscle car new age shape. Perfect it. If Porsche can do it with the 911, and Chevy can do it with the Vette, why can't the reborn Camaro?

Thanks

Just get rid of the "B" pillar and call it a day.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blaksabb View Post
    I do enjoy me some svelte, European-looking 70 1/2 split-bumper Camaro.
    While I agree, the 1970 Camaro didn't look like a 1930 anything, or even a 1969 Camaro. Why not have a totally new design language?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

Whatever the design, please give it some 3rd gen influence in the size and proportions. More of a low and mean look as opposed to the tall and narrow look of the current one.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Quote Originally Posted by MrMax View Post
    I don't post as often as I used to, but considering the topic, I felt I must.

In my opinion, I think what the Camaro team should do is consider this Camaro as a starting point. Nevermind the "need" to encorporate design cues from other cars in the lineup. Rather, consider the success of this car, take a long look at it, and step back.

Its a damn good looking car.

8 years and at least 3 movies later. Some may consider this sacrilege, but from a design standpoint, consider this the start and evolve from there. Don't abandon that muscle bound muscle car new age shape. Perfect it. If Porsche can do it with the 911, and Chevy can do it with the Vette, why can't the reborn Camaro?
    Agreed, don't even wory about the weight, I like a heavy car, it does'nt get blown all over the road. Can't argue with the 911 comment, I've wondered the same thing for years.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    63 LeSabre

Tone down the retro-style and return to the roots.
    By this I mean trying too hard to look retro brought us a Camaro that looks pretty cool, but weighs almost 4,000 lbs.

Make it lighter and give us a smaller V8 6-speed option in the mid-level trim.

I'd rather have a 300hp V8 with more torque than a 300hp V6 with less.
    Repeat the 5.0-notchback recipe.
    Last edited by NAZRancher; 03-14-2012 at 09:09 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information