GM plans $290 million investment in Corvette plant

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM plans $290 million investment in Corvette plant

Thanks
    Thanked 10,582 Times in 5,127 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gm-plans-290-million-investment-corvette-plant-130923602.html

June 24, 2016
    The AP

Kentucky officials say General Motors Corp. plans to invest $290 million at the automaker's Corvette plant in Bowling Green

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) -- Kentucky officials say General Motors Corp. plans to invest $290 million at the automaker's Corvette plant in Bowling Green.

The company's North American manufacturing manager, Arvin Jones, said Friday the investment includes technology upgrades to improve the Kentucky plant's manufacturing process.

The investment announcement was made by Gov. Matt Bevin's office in Frankfort.

Continues at link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 10,582 Times in 5,127 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Re: GM plans $290 million investment in Corvette plant

So if they were going to switch the Vette over to mid-engine, would it make sense to make these upgrades? Though they are pretty vague about exactly what they are doing, I'd assume $290 million isn't enough for the wholesale change to mid-engine. However, I could be wrong as I don't have any automotive background.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 910 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    So if they were going to switch the Vette over to mid-engine, would it make sense to make these upgrades? Though they are pretty vague about exactly what they are doing, I'd assume $290 million isn't enough for the wholesale change to mid-engine. However, I could be wrong as I don't have any automotive background.
    Or is it enough to add capability to assembly a rear-mid engine vehicle (Corvette or Cadillac) along side the current C7?
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    What's interesting about the potential switch to mid-engine is the story of the Ford GT.

I've been told off hand, the original Ford Daytona Prototypes were essentially development mules for the Ford GT.

Now, if we extend that thought to Corvette Racing, the mid engine Corvette DP could be serving a similar role...

Of course that's what's turned the Ford GT into an ultra bespoke hand assembled car-- I for one don't see Corvette going in that direction, unless were talking about a second model.
    GMI News Editor

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GM Insider News For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-24-2016)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,754 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Bowling Green has needed some "upkeep" for a while so that could be what this is as well.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,036 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    What's interesting about the potential switch to mid-engine is the story of the Ford GT.

I've been told off hand, the original Ford Daytona Prototypes were essentially development mules for the Ford GT.

Now, if we extend that thought to Corvette Racing, the mid engine Corvette DP could be serving a similar role...

Of course that's what's turned the Ford GT into an ultra bespoke hand assembled car-- I for one don't see Corvette going in that direction, unless were talking about a second model.
    And in my personal opinion, that would be the route to take: Make the ME Corvette a second model to compliment the first. Let it be the start of a wider portfolio of Corvette-branded products that will enable GM to have a performance standard-bearer. This will enable them to not only retain their current clientele (with the "traditional"/"Stingray" Corvette), but also attract new ones.

Just my humble opinion, of course.
    "La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (06-24-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I don't think that is likely. The DP prototypes could have only been power train development mules for the GT as the chassis is shared with some other DP cars. Corvette DP's run an LS7 based 5.5L v8 similar to what the C6R did, it's pretty unlikely that they would use an LS7 based engine in a production car at this point.

Also I think most (if not all) of the Ford teams are on the Riley chassis which is available for purchase already and has been around since 2012.
    Last edited by spd98; 06-24-2016 at 01:11 PM.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

If this means a mid-engine Corvette is on the way, It will have o be a second model, mainly due to price. Not too many people would be able to afford one and would still be able to buy a conventional Corvette.

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

You're right.

Although Multimatic did have several years as a chassis builder-- but tube frame doesn't mean much to the Ford GT.

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    I don't think that is likely. The DP prototypes could have only been power train development mules for the GT as the chassis is shared with some other DP cars. Corvette DP's run an LS7 based 5.5L v8 similar to what the C6R did, it's pretty unlikely that they would use an LS7 based engine in a production car at this point.

Also I think most (if not all) of the Ford teams are on the Riley chassis which is available for purchase already and has been around since 2012.
    Question for all: does GM have a history of farming out smaller low volume, niche products to specialty builders like a Multimatic?

I only ask because if we make the assumption that this second ubervette is designed essentially as a homologation special like the GT, do manufacturing process upgrades really fit the narrative?

What I'm saying is if the 2nd Corvette is low volume, niche etc. will it even come down an assembly line, doesn't it make more sense to farm that project out to specialty partner? Hence why I ask if GM has a history doing similar...
    GMI News Editor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,352 Posts

Question for all: does GM have a history of farming out smaller low volume, niche products to specialty builders like a Multimatic?
    Yes, GM does. For many things. The short list includes, the LT5 engine, turbo TransAm cars, Syclone, and Typhoon for the first year. I'm sure there are others.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,156 Times in 2,655 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

If Corvette was to switch to a proper mid-engned set up, would that mean a big price increase
    or could the changes be done in such a way as to keep the cars affordable?

Would it then be a smart move to consider a TTV6 engine option like the Ford GT?

I'm wondering how GM could make all those changes and still keep hold of existing buyers.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Iroc_z28's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    Yes, GM does. For many things. The short list includes, the LT5 engine, turbo TransAm cars, Syclone, and Typhoon for the first year. I'm sure there are others.
    Buick GNX, and I think the cosworth vega engine too
    2017 SS 1LE

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Back in the day, GM had a special plant just for such vehicles. It was called the Lansing Craft Center. Things like Buick Reatta's and Pontiac Fieros would be built there. I think it's long since closed.

The V-Series, RWD, Northstar V8's were built "in house" I think, though each was hand-built essentially.

What I'm saying is if the 2nd Corvette is low volume, niche etc. will it even come down an assembly line, doesn't it make more sense to farm that project out to specialty partner? Hence why I ask if GM has a history doing similar...
    Well, if it is a corporate platform, and this investment makes Bowling Green into more of a Flex-Plant, "both" cars could come down the same line. Like the CT6 in Hammtramck.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

IMHO could 290 MIL buy enough to build a second unrelated car IE the MR "uberVette" ?
    I would imagine maybe a CADDY coupe based from the MF C7 assuming CADDY refuses to run the "SBC" small block and wants to build out the TTV6 and TOTALLY "new" body+interior

Thanks
    My Ride
    plane

Could it be that GM has seen the light and is prepping for a Corvette hybrid similar to the Prius?
    Or an all electric Vette similar to the LEAF or electric IQ?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to orville For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-25-2016),GM Insider News (06-24-2016),megeebee (06-24-2016)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information