GM to Invest $24 Million to Expand Full Size Truck Production at Indiana Plant

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM to Invest $24 Million to Expand Full Size Truck Production at Indiana Plant

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,124 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

GM to Invest $24 Million to Expand Full Size Truck Production at Indiana Plant

Roanoke, Ind. – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) is making a new round of upgrades to its Fort Wayne Assembly plant to further increase production of the all-new Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 pickups – especially crew cab models.

“We are building Chevrolet and GMC crew cab pickups at record volume and mix levels to meet customer demand and the $24 million investment will allow us to build even more,” said Mary Barra, GM chairman and CEO. “The team here at Fort Wayne has done an outstanding job helping us satisfy customers throughout this launch. Our product ramp-up was very smooth and the quality has been exceptional. Crew cab sales have been very strong, and we are expanding customer choice with new models, more cab choices and innovative new powertrains.”

Combined sales of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab pickups, which launched in the second half of 2018, were up 20 percent in the first quarter of 2019 versus a year ago. GM is projecting another significant increase for the second quarter. Customer deliveries of the double-cab models built in Fort Wayne began during the first quarter.

The $24 million will be invested to further enhance the plant’s conveyors and other tooling to support the increased production. The work will be completed this summer. With today’s announcement, GM has invested more than $1.2 billion in the plant since 2015.

Since 2009, GM has invested $23 billion in U.S. manufacturing – more than one-quarter of every dollar spent by automakers.

Continued at link: https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...X_bae7cPdtXXZI

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-30-2019),BlackGTP (05-30-2019),CMiatso DaBang (05-30-2019),gkr778 (05-30-2019),TruckMan (05-30-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,494 Times in 3,758 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Re: GM to Invest $24 Million to Expand Full Size Truck Production at Indiana Plant

Moved to ticker.

Looks like they're going to price them to sell, WHICH IS FINE*.

Now fix the interior.

*All truck manufacturers dump money on the hood to artificially prop up sales.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (05-30-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,101 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: GM to Invest $24 Million to Expand Full Size Truck Production at Indiana Plant

the partial powertrain realignment will help the sales but wonder how much volume will be lost THIS SUMMER during upgrades

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel
    While it sounds like a lot of money that's maintenance money for a big body shop. There was much more investment made in lordstown before it was shuttered.

What I'd like to see GM do is invest in new carriers that rotate the body instead of having people working overhead all day. European manufacturers have adopted this and it cut way down on shoulder/neck problems.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lowboy For This Useful Post:

KingElv!s (06-01-2019),Neanderthal (05-31-2019),sfbreh (06-01-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

"We are building Chevrolet and GMC crew cab pickups at record volume and mix levels to meet customer demand"

Dude, who buys these things ? I went to see one and the dealership was dead in the truck section. I can count on one hand how many I have seen on the road.
    Maybe the US is different, but Canadians don't seem to bite that much, at least in SW Ontario. I see plenty of new Rams, and a sea of Ram Classics, mine soon to be in there.
    I sat in one, I look like a baby in the trailboss since I cant adjust the seat height (I am 5'9). The plastic interior is a total generic joke, I never believed GM would sink THAT low. I had low expectations, but holy f%#k !
    They need to drop $10k at least and get rid that stupid 6 speed ASAP. Gorgeous truck on the outside, I was super impressed. Looks much nicer in person.

The dealer was saying they have lots of young guys buying them and 8 month down the road they are repo'ed as they cant make the payments.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (05-30-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 2,128 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Maybe GM could split the difference with 5.3 and 6.2 V8s and bring back
    the 5.7(350 Chevy) and add a DFM version of the 6.6 V8 above it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

”Combined sales of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab pickups, which launched in the second half of 2018, were up 20 percent in the first quarter of 2019 versus a year ago. GM is projecting another significant increase for the second quarter.”

I like that!
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    "We are building Chevrolet and GMC crew cab pickups at record volume and mix levels to meet customer demand"

Dude, who buys these things ? I went to see one and the dealership was dead in the truck section. I can count on one hand how many I have seen on the road.
    Maybe the US is different, but Canadians don't seem to bite that much, at least in SW Ontario. I see plenty of new Rams, and a sea of Ram Classics, mine soon to be in there.
    I sat in one, I look like a baby in the trailboss since I cant adjust the seat height (I am 5'9). The plastic interior is a total generic joke, I never believed GM would sink THAT low. I had low expectations, but holy f%#k !
    They need to drop $10k at least and get rid that stupid 6 speed ASAP. Gorgeous truck on the outside, I was super impressed. Looks much nicer in person.

The dealer was saying they have lots of young guys buying them and 8 month down the road they are repo'ed as they cant make the payments.
    Give it a rest, it's a really nice truck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 958 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Automotive News reported that new vehicle inventories as of May 1, 2019 represented the highest levels in nearly a decade. Chevy Silverado had a 120 day supply and GMC Sierra inventory will last 100 days using the previous month's daily selling rates.

Also, most automotive industry experts expect SAAR for U.S. light vehicle sales to be well under 17 million in CY 2019. Sales rate in April 2019 correspond to SAAR of only 16.42 million.

Perhaps GM knows something that the rest of us don't? I understand that the pickup trucks built at Fort Wayne Assembly are GM's best selling products in the U.S., but the timing of this decision to increase production at that plant is interesting.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    Only if you're a Chevy loyalist. As I've chronicled many times here, we wanted to buy a 2019 Silverado, but it was uncomfortable to sit in, cheap inside, and too expensive if we wanted a 6.2 with some comfort, but not fully equipped. Wound up with a Ram instead because it was better at being the kind of truck we needed.

It's a non-competitive truck and the sales bear this out.

The good news is, all of these items are easily fixed. The question is, will GM do it?
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn

17. The Following User Says Thank You to vanshmack For This Useful Post:

sfbreh (06-01-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    Only if you're a Chevy loyalist. As I've chronicled many times here, we wanted to buy a 2019 Silverado, but it was uncomfortable to sit in, cheap inside, and too expensive if we wanted a 6.2 with some comfort, but not fully equipped. Wound up with a Ram instead because it was better at being the kind of truck we needed.

It's a non-competitive truck and the sales bear this out.

The good news is, all of these items are easily fixed. The question is, will GM do it?
    Complete nonsense of a post, you're opinion isn't fact just like the rest of us. Glad you bought the truck you like, everyone should. To say you have to be a loyalist to prefer the Chevy should be beneath a moderator.

So let's go by your logic shall we? The Ram barely outsold the Silverado, but they both got handedly outsold by the F150, so that would mean the Ram is junk also right? The Ram is non competitive and the sales bear this out.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (06-03-2019),ksss (05-30-2019),richmond2000 (05-31-2019),TruckMan (05-30-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Automotive News reported that new vehicle inventories as of May 1, 2019 represented the highest levels in nearly a decade. Chevy Silverado had a 120 day supply and GMC Sierra inventory will last 100 days using the previous month's daily selling rates.

Also, most automotive industry experts expect SAAR for U.S. light vehicle sales to be well under 17 million in CY 2019. Sales rate in April 2019 correspond to SAAR of only 16.42 million.

Perhaps GM knows something that the rest of us don't? I understand that the pickup trucks built at Fort Wayne Assembly are GM's best selling products in the U.S., but the timing of this decision to increase production at that plant is interesting.
    It might just be facility upgrades to allow more mix. FTW used to have limitations on what could fit in paint ovens and such. It might not be pure increased volume. $24 mil is a relatively minor investment. That's my take. They used to be unable to build all combos there (bed/box), because of conveyor turn radii and the like. Still positive news to remove those constraints.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

eklauss (06-03-2019),gkr778 (05-31-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Complete nonsense of a post, you're opinion isn't fact just like the rest of us. Glad you bought the truck you like, everyone should. To say you have to be a loyalist to prefer the Chevy should be beneath a moderator.

So let's go by your logic shall we? The Ram barely outsold the Silverado, but they both got handedly outsold by the F150, so that would mean the Ram is junk also right? The Ram is non competitive and the sales bear this out.
    "Beneath a moderator"...LOL...very amusing.

Your reading skills apparently require some attention, as I explained the reasons we chose the Ram over the Chevy...What's fact for us may not be for you, and that's fine. And I'll stand by my loyalist comment and here's why: The only reason the Chevy still sells as well as it does is because truck owners have been proven to be the most loyal of any automotive segment. The fact that a next-gen Chevy truck, with all of the resources GM has to muster, is in a dead-heat with an equally-new Ram is shameful to me as a life-long GM enthusiast. Here's the thing, though, I'm no longer a young guy, and when it's my family's money that's getting spent on a vehicle, it has to be the right one and do what it needs to do for us. The current Silverado fails at this and GM lost a sale, despite the Chevy being our first choice going into the process.

I will admit this, though: FCA reliability history did give us some pause in making our decision. It was one of three categories out of eight or nine where the Chevy came out on top, based on our criteria and relative importance of each. Had our need been for a beast-of-burden work truck with mission-critical reliability, one in which comfort doesn't matter because we're not hauling a family around, the Chevy would likely have been the choice. Thing is, a large number of buyers don't need that kind of capability, and I'm willing to guess those are the ones flocking from Chevy to Ram & Ford.

The reason the F-150 sells as well as it does is because Ford hasn't done anything stupid to mess up their cash cow, and thus haven't given their loyal buyers any reason to look elsewhere.
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vanshmack For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-30-2019),InCogKneeToe (05-31-2019),ryannel2003 (05-30-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 754 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Guess once again you miss the big picture. The Ram barely outsold the Silverado, yes, but considering Ram wasn't even a blip in the Silverado's rearview mirror 10-15 years ago, this is a big deal. Remember when combined Silverado and Sierra sales beat out the F-Series? Not even close. But bury your head in the sand and pretend all is well, it's worked so well for GM and their truck sales... you should be in GM management!
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-30-2019),InCogKneeToe (05-31-2019),Neanderthal (05-31-2019),richmond2000 (05-31-2019),SierraGS (05-30-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Wonderful!?

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information