GM to end production of Chevrolet Sonic, report says - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GM to end production of Chevrolet Sonic, report says

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 664 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Re: GM to end production of Chevrolet Sonic, report says

After years of rumors, it's finally actually happened: RIP Sonic as of October of this year (according to the folks at the Authority). So MY 2020 is in fact the last year. I may be the only one, but I will miss it! As for a replacement:

"... there is currently no replacement planned. That said, itís possible GM could bring the Chevrolet Onix over for the U.S. and Canadian markets following its best-selling performance in South America."

gm authority dot com/blog/2020/07/gm-confirms-chevrolet-sonic-set-to-retire-this-year/

I might pick up a 2019 stick-shift used at some point to replace my 2015. Or make the switch to something else, I'm not sure. RIP.

(As for Chevy's sedan/hatch lineup for 2021, we're down to Spark and Malibu.)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    This thread is almost two years old, but the Authority is currently predicting there will be a MY 2021 Sonic which kind of amazes me...I was assuming it would be gone after MY 2020! But hoping they import the Onix from Mexico at some point, its built/sold there now, call it a Sonic if you like, assuming it passes US requirements.

gm authority dot com/blog/2020/07/the-chevrolet-sonics-days-are-numbered/

10 year run for Sonic isnít too bad...
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

It's safe to say it'll be down to just Malibu and Camaro by the end of the year. It's remarkable how quickly GM and Ford paralleled each other on the way out of the "car" business, although GM still has 3 sedans for a few more years at least (Malibu, CT4, CT5). Malibu probably has 1 more year.

Still think the Trailblazer is a very appealing product to fill up the entry-level customer. Sonic and Spark are too low margin now that trade and costs are going up so I think that's it for those type of products.
    Last edited by BORG; 07-07-2020 at 09:15 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 803 Posts

Sad, American car companies are just........sad.
    Chevy should have kept the Cruze. Big mistake, Mary

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,840 Times in 3,798 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    Sad, American car companies are just........sad.
    Chevy should have kept the Cruze. Big mistake, Mary
    What Congress needs to find out is how other countries can make these things profitably and we cannot. There is a game being played.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 664 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    It's safe to say it'll be down to just Malibu and Camaro by the end of the year. It's remarkable how quickly GM and Ford paralleled each other on the way out of the "car" business, although GM still has 3 sedans for a few more years at least (Malibu, CT4, CT5). Malibu probably has 1 more year.

Still think the Trailblazer is a very appealing product to fill up the entry-level customer. Sonic and Spark are too low margin now that trade and costs are going up so I think that's it for those type of products.

I agree the Trailblazer is an appealing compact crossover, but zero chance I will buy one or a Trax/Encore. No interest in the type. I'm just speaking for myself, I'm quite sure they will sell well.

About the only chance of my next vehicle being a GM is some sort of announcement about getting the Onix from Mexico. I really like the CT4 but chances are I won't be able to swing one financially (possibly used in a couple of years).
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    What Congress needs to find out is how other countries can make these things profitably and we cannot. There is a game being played.
    It's mainly incompetence and GM not putting in their best efforts, then they don't advertise the product.
    You can see what GM is capable of with the Corvette, they just don't put that effort into their bread and butter products, even their trucks

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information