Driving The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500's Baby Duramax: It's Smooth, Baby

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500's Baby Duramax: It's Smooth, Baby

Thanks

Posted by PickupTrucks.com Staff | June 22, 2019
    LINK

The operative word for the Chevy inline-six is smooth, from startup to cruising and everything in between. Fire up the motor and it settles into a quiet, decidedly diesel-sounding yet not unpleasant cadence that reminds you that it's not a conventional gasoline engine. Power comes on in a surge, but what most astonishes is the complete absence of turbo lag or hesitation on accelerator application. Unlike the 2.8-liter four-cylinder Duramax found under the hood of the Chevrolet Colorado mid-size pickup, throttle response for the 3.0-liter I-6 happens proportionately to the application of the accelerator pedal — and does so exactly when you ask for it, not a half-tick behind your foot. In this way it feels rather unlike most other pickup truck diesel engines I've driven. There's no drivability deficit with the diesel here; it behaves in ways that make it a delight to drive.

My initial stint in the LT double cab was to participate in a maximum fuel economy loop of about 30 miles, which is of course not a long enough loop to truly judge fuel economy, but it did give us some idea of the 3.0-liter Duramax's fuel economy potential. I managed 38.1 mpg according to the Silverado's onboard computer, but other media members attending the drive posted even better numbers, with more than a few attendees showing north of 41-45 mpg. At average speeds of 45-50 mph, that's an astonishing number. By an equally statistically insignificant comparison, my jaunt in a Ford F-150 diesel returned 27.4 mpg over a roughly 10-mile loop. A longer stint of more than 70 miles in a 4WD Silverado 1500 RST crew cab that was not being driven like a Prius, and that had four people and luggage on-board, turned in 33.8 mpg, according to the trip computer, still an extraordinary number for a full-size half-ton pickup.

What's the official EPA fuel economy number for the Duramax? At the time of publishing, we still don't know. Chevrolet says that it knows what those numbers are, but apparently isn't ready to share the EPA's official rating yet. This would suggest that there's more tweaking going on before the official announcement, or that perhaps internal targets aren't quite being met, or that the EPA just doesn't have its act together. Chevy did present a graph of its internal testing results showing that the Duramax could achieve 40 mpg at 50 mph for a 2WD model or 35.9 mpg for a 4WD truck at the same speed. By comparison, Chevy's testing of a Ford F-150 with its 3.0-liter Power Stroke V-6 returned 31.3 mpg on the same loop, but we're not generally inclined to trust an automaker to present us accurate test numbers for a competitor vehicle.

more at the link....
    2016 FORD F250 4X4 - 2018 CHEVY VOLT PREMIER - 2017 INDIAN CHIEFTAIN

Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eastcoasthd For This Useful Post:

Dheart (06-24-2019),jzchev28 (06-23-2019),SierraGS (06-23-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,154 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz
    This engine sounds great so far, still can't wait to try one myself.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (06-27-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,344 Posts

Re: Driving The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500's Baby Duramax: It's Smooth, Baby

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthd View Post
    Posted by PickupTrucks.com Staff | June 22, 2019
    LINK

The operative word for the Chevy inline-six is smooth, from startup to cruising and everything in between. Fire up the motor and it settles into a quiet, decidedly diesel-sounding yet not unpleasant cadence that reminds you that it's not a conventional gasoline engine. Power comes on in a surge, but what most astonishes is the complete absence of turbo lag or hesitation on accelerator application. Unlike the 2.8-liter four-cylinder Duramax found under the hood of the Chevrolet Colorado mid-size pickup, throttle response for the 3.0-liter I-6 happens proportionately to the application of the accelerator pedal — and does so exactly when you ask for it, not a half-tick behind your foot. In this way it feels rather unlike most other pickup truck diesel engines I've driven. There's no drivability deficit with the diesel here; it behaves in ways that make it a delight to drive.

A longer stint of more than 70 miles in a 4WD Silverado 1500 RST crew cab that was not being driven like a Prius, and that had four people and luggage on-board, turned in 33.8 mpg, according to the trip computer, still an extraordinary number for a full-size half-ton pickup.

more at the link....
    GM needs to focus on the "Real World" numbers of ~ 33 MPG in a truck that the actual buyers purchase.

If the driving impressions of smooth power and an ability to deliver over 30 MPG are true, the 3.0TD will be a success.

GM needs to learn a lesson or two about how the average buyer is going to read articles like this, they are not going to remember the "Real World" MPG numbers (which are outstanding), they will come away with the perception that it will deliver 40 MPG (which few will ever get in real world driving at real world average speeds over real world driving distances per tank).

If these numbers and performance impressions are correct, GM has a winner on it's hands, but GM has to remember that "Perception is Reality" and "First Impressions" are the most important. "Hero Numbers" that are not based in reality will only lead to real world long term pain and not worth the short term adolescent bragging rights.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,653 Times in 3,869 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

So why does GM use an inline configuration with this engine, but nowhere else. Is it because this is solely a truck engine and they have the room for it (meaning they don't have to try to jam it into a car)?

The new official number we can tell you about is the Silverado 1500's 3.0-liter Duramax maximum tow rating: 9,300 pounds. That's well less than the Ford's maximum tow rating of 11,400 pounds, but the Ford rating is a ridiculous rating for a half-ton pickup to begin with; the Ram EcoDiesel is rated at 12,560 pounds. Plus, our test-drive of the Ford F-150 Power Stroke with a trailer half that heavy presented performance problems we still need to test for rectification.
    Funny, awhile back I said that the trailer ratings were BS, made up by marketing. I was told I was wrong and there are tight criteria to arrive at the trailering numbers and they are factual (of course in whatever I was commenting on it was Ford with the higher rating). The above makes it sound like I was right - trailer ratings start with marketing.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Chevrolet is generally conservative with its power, towing, and fuel economy estimates. The trucks tend to perform better than EPA estimates.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to protovack For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (06-25-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by protovack View Post
    Chevrolet is generally conservative with its power, towing, and fuel economy estimates. The trucks tend to perform better than EPA estimates.
    I won't go so far as to agree with this, but it seems like when Chevy misses their margin of error is much smaller than other manufacturers.

Speaking from recent experience, our 2015 Equinox AWD with a 3.6 has exceeded its EPA rating on several occasions by close to 10% even in less than ideal conditions.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,366 Times in 2,213 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    I won't go so far as to agree with this, but it seems like when Chevy misses their margin of error is much smaller than other manufacturers.

Speaking from recent experience, our 2015 Equinox AWD with a 3.6 has exceeded its EPA rating on several occasions by close to 10% even in less than ideal conditions.
    The EPA rating for highway is not based on steady state driving

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC, LB Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by protovack View Post
    There is truth in this, at least as it pertains to the 6.6 Dmax. While typically specing lower than Ford or Ram, it has outperformed both on the Ike Gauntlet test nearly every year. I don't know if this will carry on with the little Dmax, but GM has typically let the pickup's performance do the talking, while Ford in particular always boasts a big spec sheet and seldom does the pickup live up to the billing.
    2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1 AGM/2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1/1LE on order.
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC LB SRW Duramax

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ksss For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (06-25-2019)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Maximum 9,700 Lbs of Towing I say no more. No wonder it has good mpg-figures.

RAM 1500 with the new EcoDiesel tows 12.560 Lbs that´s 30 % more. Will you just use your truck for supermarket shopping the Chevrolet is fair enough.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

For me, GM was the best in estimating real world mpg. I always beat the sticker with all my GMs.
    33mpg highway in a full size, count me in. The best I can do now is 23....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,154 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by CGiron View Post
    Maximum 9,700 Lbs of Towing I say no more. No wonder it has good mpg-figures.

RAM 1500 with the new EcoDiesel tows 12.560 Lbs that´s 30 % more. Will you just use your truck for supermarket shopping the Chevrolet is fair enough.
    Give me a break....wow
    Last edited by jzchev28; 06-25-2019 at 09:38 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (06-27-2019),IROCNROL1 (06-25-2019),TruckMan (06-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 544 Posts

I'm not a truck guy by any stretch but the Silverado w/ the body colored grille bumper looks hawt...2nd only to the Ram Laramie. Just fix the damn center stack and it'll be almost perfect IMO
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I'm not a truck guy by any stretch but the Silverado w/ the body colored grille bumper looks hawt...2nd only to the Ram Laramie. Just fix the damn center stack and it'll be almost perfect IMO
    Same here. To the point that I don't even know what a Ram Laramie looks like. I drove pickups long ago when I needed them for 'trucky' type purposes. That didn't include driving around with an empty bed or worrying about an occasional scratch either. I'll take your word about the lower quality interior as I've never looked at one nor even intend to. Another thread has Bob Lutz agreeing with you on that. Looks like GM never learns in this regard.

However, I've never considered this generation Silverado ugly. Different maybe, but that's a good thing IMHO. Making a small box on top of a big box not look like a clone of competing vehicles while still having decent styling is harder than a lot of people seemingly think. At some point I just have to think that some here are piling on just because it's the popular thing to do when discussing GM vehicles.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

eastcoasthd (06-25-2019),jzchev28 (06-28-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

The 3.0TD is the first of a line of diesels including 3cyl (1.5L) and 4cyl (2.0L) variants, according to this article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...hoo&yptr=yahoo

Looking good so far. The 1.5TD 3cyl could work well in a Trax/Sonic type vehicle, the 2.0TD in Equinox/Malibu, etc.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    The 3.0TD is the first of a line of diesels including 3cyl (1.5L) and 4cyl (2.0L) variants, according to this article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...hoo&yptr=yahoo

Looking good so far. The 1.5TD 3cyl could work well in a Trax/Sonic type vehicle, the 2.0TD in Equinox/Malibu, etc.
    Didn't they just come out with a 1.6 Diesel?
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast