A Corvette 'brand' may be the next 'Vette news, complete with an SUV - Page 9

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A Corvette 'brand' may be the next 'Vette news, complete with an SUV

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Re: A Corvette 'brand' may be the next 'Vette news, complete with an SUV

Quote Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
    I'm really surprised by how many people are having a hard time seeing how this would work. I think people are making it way more complicated than it would probably be -- if it ever even happens in the first place.

The Camaro and other performance oriented Chevys would NOT fall under "Corvette."

"Corvette" could eventually grow to as many as 5 models -- but probably fewer. It would be something like:

- Corvette Stingray, Z06, ZR1 (variations of the mid-engine C8)
    - Corvette Manta Ray -- or whatever you want to call it (something like a Cayenne)
    - Corvette Mako -- or whatever you want to call it (something like a Macan)
    - Corvette Zora -- or whatever you want to call it (something like a Panamera)
    - Corvette Hammerhead -- or whatever you want to call it (maybe something like a Solstice or more like the C7)

Basically agree...but I'm not sure the brand should go downmarket to Macan/Solstice-type vehicles. Leave that to Chevy. But a Panamerica competitor (it starts around $85K) sure thing.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 1,811 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    Basically agree...but I'm not sure the brand should go downmarket to Macan/Solstice-type vehicles. Leave that to Chevy. But a Panamerica competitor (it starts around $85K) sure thing.
    That misses the whole point of leveraging a premium model/brand - there's big money to be made from the lesser models from a premium brand.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    That misses the whole point of leveraging a premium model/brand - there's big money to be made from the lesser models from a premium brand.
    I see your point, but the interesting question is: how low is too low? How about a $30K Bentley Corolla? Or a $20K Maserati Civic? I assume you’d agree that’s going too far? So how low is too low for a Vette brand? I’d argue Solstice is too low. I’ll give you Macan if you like.

As others have argued, Vette is one of the few undamaged GM "brands". Let’s keep it that way.
    Last edited by dannyg; 07-22-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-21-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,110 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

I just noticed something that may lead credence to the Corvette division speculation.

The new Stingray doesn't seem to have any reference to Chevrolet on it anywhere that I can find. No name or emblem.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    I just noticed something that lead credence to the Corvette division speculation.

The new Stingray doesn't seem to have any reference to Chevrolet on it anywhere that I can find. No name or emblem.
    LOL. They haven't for a long time. My 86 is 33 years old and it doesn't say Chevrolet on it. Everyone knows it's a Chevrolet Corvette.

Also the bow tie is in the Corvette flags logo on the car.
    Last edited by LowRider; 07-21-2019 at 10:20 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-21-2019),megeebee (07-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    I just noticed something that lead credence to the Corvette division speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    LOL. They haven't for a long time. My 86 is 33 years old and it doesn't say Chevrolet on it. Everyone knows it's a Chevrolet Corvette.
    The Chevy bow tie is on one of the flags in the Corvette logo, but as LowRider said, I can't remember ever seeing the word "Chevrolet" on a Corvette, at least in my lifetime.

I thought referring to the C8 as "Corvette by Chevrolet" might have some branding-related significance, but in press materials, GM refers to the C8 as the "2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray," so it seems there's not necessarily much to read into there.
    Last edited by Murrow; 07-21-2019 at 12:12 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Murrow For This Useful Post:

Stťphane Dumas (07-21-2019)

SKH
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,730 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Making different vehicles under the Corvette moniker is a no brainer afaiac. As long as that expanded range is consistent with the Corvette ethos they shouldn’t hesitate.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

The Chevy bow tie is on one of the flags in the Corvette, but as LowRider said, I can't remember ever seeing the word "Chevrolet" on a Corvette, at least in my lifetime.

I thought referring to the C8 as "Corvette by Chevrolet" might have some branding-related significance, but in press materials, GM refers to the C8 as the "2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray," so it seems there's not necessarily much to read into there.
    Have there been times where the Chevrolet badge/name hasn’t been featured anywhere on the exterior of the Corvette?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    Have there been times where the Chevrolet badge/name hasn’t been featured anywhere on the exterior of the Corvette?
    Looks like the bow tie has always been there in some form, even if it was partially obscured.

Last edited by Murrow; 07-21-2019 at 11:26 AM.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Looks like the bow tie has always been there in some form, even if it was partially obscured.

Sorry, I meant CHEVROLET not the bow tie. The Bow tie would likely always be present, but perhaps they would down play the Chevy connection. The connection would still be there but CORVETTE name would be front and center.

Ask yourself this. How many people call it a Chevrolet or Chevy Corvette Vs just ‘A CORVETTE’? I’m guessing it’s lopsided in favor of just CORVETTE. So it’s basically already a De facto sub brand. Making the leap to a full range of different vehicles, isn’t in fact a leap, but is more like a step.

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,110 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

The Chevy bow tie is on one of the flags in the Corvette logo, but as LowRider said, I can't remember ever seeing the word "Chevrolet" on a Corvette, at least in my lifetime.

Sorry. Right after I posted, I realized the goof I had made.

Old age isn't for the weak..........LOL

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Making different vehicles under the Corvette moniker is a no brainer afaiac. As long as that expanded range is consistent with the Corvette ethos they shouldnít hesitate.
    You give GM too much credit. The upper management has proven to be inept at the best of times. Putting the Corvette nameplate (this "brand" needs to end) on offer as a full division of the parent company is suicidal.

How many people call it a Chevrolet or Chevy Corvette Vs just ĎA CORVETTEí? Iím guessing itís lopsided in favor of just CORVETTE. So itís basically already a De facto sub brand. Making the leap to a full range of different vehicles, isnít in fact a leap, but is more like a step.
    I view Corvette as a model name with a solid history behind it. A brand, it isn't. It's akin to making an Escalade brand to go above Cadillac.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-21-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,756 Times in 3,273 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

GM needs to invest money in Cadillac, Chevrolet cars, Buick, GMC, Transit type vans, big trucks such as Freight-liner Semiís and 7 tons international footprint, and all the electric and technologies coming up, funding another new brand should not be a priority,

Thanks

Is there no end to stupid ideas? No, heck no, f***no, just no to Corvette as a separate brand. I could imagine Manta Ray being used for a smaller and much cheaper mid-engine sports car, but it should still be a Chevrolet.

The idea of a Corvette SUV is flat out anathema to the idea of a Corvette as a sports car. Its main purpose would be to make people feel better about the fact that they've added to the population and now as a result, have overreacted to the need to haul around the ensuing spawn.

I find all SUVs sold by a brand known for sports cars to be disgusting, whether it is Porsche, Maserati, Lamborghini, whatever, they're all freakin' gross as far as I'm concerned. I don't like a SUV that tries to remind me of wild exotic sports cars, genteel grand touring coupes, or anything else for that matter. The Rolls-Royce Cullinan looks like a horribly expensive London Cab. So does the Bentley Bentayga.

"Leveraging" brands usually means a dilution of it, and after a point, it means nothing. This is how Cadillac got to the point where it is. It is how Packard ended up going out of business, because the 110 was just that one step too far, and even names meant to wink at and call to the customers they had before (The Patrician, The Four Hundred) didn't save it. When you have Corvette economy cars, crossovers, and SUVs, the name will eventually mean nothing. It will also be another division GM has to manage, with all the headaches that will bring.

You almost might as well ask why FCA doesn't bring back DeSoto.
    Donne e motori, gioie e dolori

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxLegroom For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 1,811 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLegroom View Post
    Is there no end to stupid ideas? No, heck no, f***no, just no to Corvette as a separate brand. I could imagine Manta Ray being used for a smaller and much cheaper mid-engine sports car, but it should still be a Chevrolet.

The idea of a Corvette SUV is flat out anathema to the idea of a Corvette as a sports car. Its main purpose would be to make people feel better about the fact that they've added to the population and now as a result, have overreacted to the need to haul around the ensuing spawn.

I find all SUVs sold by a brand known for sports cars to be disgusting, whether it is Porsche, Maserati, Lamborghini, whatever, they're all freakin' gross as far as I'm concerned. I don't like a SUV that tries to remind me of wild exotic sports cars, genteel grand touring coupes, or anything else for that matter. The Rolls-Royce Cullinan looks like a horribly expensive London Cab. So does the Bentley Bentayga.

"Leveraging" brands usually means a dilution of it, and after a point, it means nothing. This is how Cadillac got to the point where it is. It is how Packard ended up going out of business, because the 110 was just that one step too far, and even names meant to wink at and call to the customers they had before (The Patrician, The Four Hundred) didn't save it. When you have Corvette economy cars, crossovers, and SUVs, the name will eventually mean nothing. It will also be another division GM has to manage, with all the headaches that will bring.

You almost might as well ask why FCA doesn't bring back DeSoto.
    Have Porsche's sports cars been diluted by leveraging the brand with Cayenne, Macan and Panamera ?

It's blinkered if you won't look at new ways of making money out of Corvette.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (07-21-2019),SKH (07-21-2019)

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information