The Chevy Silverado Isn't Doing So Great

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chevy Silverado Isn't Doing So Great

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

The Chevy Silverado Isn't Doing So Great

The Chevy Silverado Isn't Doing So Great.
    Jalopnik
    June 17, 2019
    By: Erik Shilling

1st Gear: Silverado Isn’t Bringing in Much ... Silver

The new Silverado always seemed like a tough sell, given that the base model came with a four cylinder engine, which is powerful enough but doesn’t excite people. Its face is also obnoxious, but some people like obnoxious faces.

Anyway, because of these reasons, or perhaps for an entirely different set of reasons, Automotive News says that sales have not been great. The longtime number-two pickup on the market—behind the mighty F-150 of course—is now number three behind F-150 and Ram. Though, thanks to the Sierra, GM remains number two in the segment.

At any rate, GM says it’s not worried. It would never worry. From AN:

Quote Originally Posted by AN
    Including the GMC Sierra 1500, which was also redesigned at the same time, GM’s full-size pickup share was down 3 percentage points in the first five months of 2019 compared with the same period a year earlier.

With the Sierra, GM remains in second place in the full-size segment, behind Ford Motor Co.

But GM executives insist the shake-up in a closely watched battle with major image and profit implications isn’t a sign of trouble. They say the trucks’ launch is going as planned and that GM is focused on profits, not market share.

Barry Engle, who became GM’s president of the Americas on April 1, played down declining Silverado sales as a “temporary phenomenon” that will be corrected with more capacity and a normalization of production.

“Given our limited availability, we deliberately launched with a really high mix in trims,” Engle told Automotive News this month. “But as we get broader availability and get the full portfolio out there, we’ll be just fine.”
    Yes, this has all been deliberate. GM wanted sales to dip, in fact. It’s all part of the plan.

Full article available at link.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (06-18-2019),SierraGS (06-22-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Re: The Chevy Silverado Isn't Doing So Great

GM right now...

Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-18-2019),autofan (06-19-2019),canadian.bacon (06-18-2019),Extreme4x4 (06-18-2019),Let Them Fail (06-19-2019),Mr.Buttons (06-18-2019),SierraGS (06-22-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 776 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Yes, this has all been deliberate. GM wanted sales to dip, in fact. It’s all part of the plan.
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (06-18-2019),Mr.Buttons (06-18-2019),SierraGS (06-22-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I wanted to buy a Trailboss, I think it looks awesome! I would've put up the the interior, yes, with the cheap plastics, even with the 6 speed tranny. But man, I felt like being raped with a baseball bat while talking numbers. in Canada, a few weeks ago when I was shopping: $51.000, plus delivery ($1895). plus tax 13% ($6630) +dealer fees ($499)= $60,024
    $60,024 for a 6 speed, grey plastic ridden lousy interior with half a transfer case ! So I went with the competition, screw Barra and her 25 mil paycheck !

This is a GM diehard (used to) wanting to buy GM, but GM is now focused on profits. Not on my dime.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

autofan (06-19-2019),richmond2000 (06-19-2019),SierraGS (06-22-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I think they'll figure it out in the end and there is some truth to the ramp-up hell. Silverado could probably use an MCE to regroup the product for a better launch.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (06-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 639 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Take one any day over a crappy Dodge.

My neighbors 2018 RAM bought in March has all kinds of steering issues where it's almost unsafe to drive and he won't take it on the highway anymore. He is fighting with the dealer to get it fixed properly.

Great interior but the usual Dodge quality.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (06-19-2019),RamJet502 (07-02-2019),TruckMan (06-18-2019),yamahr1 (06-18-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post

My neighbors 2018 RAM bought in March has all kinds of steering issues where it's almost unsafe to drive and he won't take it on the highway anymore. He is fighting with the dealer to get it fixed properly.

So go to another dealer !
    I doubt it the dealer would release an unsafe truck on the road, it is a lot of liability there, especially in the US of A where they live by the lawsuit. Can you imagine crashing into another car after leaving the dealership? I'm sure they are aware of the consequences.
    There are plenty of horror stories from all camps. What if your neighbor had the chevy shake, what would have been your comment then? Or adding a quart of oil every 2nd fillup? or the IWE issues from the F150 or the frozen latches?
    They have great engines, V6 and V8, they have one of the best transmission in the industry (available on all trims and configurations) and a full functional transfer case, all for a really good price. Have I mentioned the nice interior?

I would take one any day too, but not for the price they want to sell it to me for !

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

MercerGrad (06-18-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (06-18-2019),richmond2000 (06-19-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 776 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

And I'm glad I chose Ram over GM because I've had 2 people I know lose entire engines because of drivetrain failures in their GM trucks. And then there's my friend's wife that had her Yukon Denali bought back under the lemon law. Meanwhile my Ram has been an awesome truck. So has my dad's. So has my other buddy's trucks who switched to Ram.

See... I too can provide anecdotal evidence showing why I side with one vehicle brand over another.
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

Let Them Fail (06-19-2019),richmond2000 (06-19-2019),SierraGS (06-22-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

While I think GM's spinning this the way they want (because they have to, from a PR standpoint), I am starting to believe the best is yet to come on these trucks. The recent TFL review on the diesel's performance has to be a good mark for them. They also haven't been sitting still with the new truck. Internally they are well aware that it missed the mark, thus the good changes they implemented for the 2020s. That said, the design is polarizing, and they increased the size of an already massive vehicle. I think sales will go up, but this truck will still miss the internal sales metrics that GM has set. Just my opinion though.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I do think the GMC Sierra will offset some of the weakness on the Chevy side.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (06-22-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,440 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    While I think GM's spinning this the way they want (because they have to, from a PR standpoint), I am starting to believe the best is yet to come on these trucks. The recent TFL review on the diesel's performance has to be a good mark for them. They also haven't been sitting still with the new truck. Internally they are well aware that it missed the mark, thus the good changes they implemented for the 2020s. That said, the design is polarizing, and they increased the size of an already massive vehicle. I think sales will go up, but this truck will still miss the internal sales metrics that GM has set. Just my opinion though.
    I think the size is probably the biggest off putting thing of the new trucks IMHO. We all made fun of the F150 when it went boxy and then here comes GM at 125% magnify to give us the T1 trucks. It's just odd in this era how huge the front nose is.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 655 Posts

Really? The Diesel is going to save the day? The 3.0L Powerstroke less than 2% of F150's sales

24. The Following User Says Thank You to InCogKneeToe For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-19-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I too refused Ram due to quality. It all looks great inside but...... I spent MONTHS on the 5th gen forums and same amount on the new GM forums. There is good and bad but way too many issues over at Ram, plus its powertrain is just average at best and the exterior puts me to sleep. Can't find a bad truck in the bunch though. After all my test drives and research I found them to ALL be good in their own way. Just find the one that check all the boxes that matter to you individually and bingo, you've found your truck! I found even the Nissan Titan (which constantly gets a bad rap) was a very well thought out truck.

Anyway, today is day 2 of 2019 Sierra ownership for me. I wanted a late build and I got a April build date. I have a bunch of time late this week and I'll list all my likes/dislikes. Availability is still a bit of a frustration, finding a black Denali Ultimate wasn't as easy as I thought it should have been. I'm not to worried for GM, they have one he!! of a nice truck, a few tweaks in the interior would be nice, but as-is its just awesome and so far I'm very pleased.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Captain Chaos For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (06-18-2019),jzchev28 (06-19-2019),RamJet502 (07-02-2019),TruckMan (06-18-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,424 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by fastrehotrods View Post
    I just rented Super Troopers 2 over the weekend. It's not as good as the first movie, but boy does it have its moments.

He shouldn't have to fight anyone to fix it. It should still have a warranty. As someone else said:
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    So go to another dealer!
    A) While I think GM's spinning this the way they want (because they have to, from a PR standpoint), I am starting to believe the best is yet to come on these trucks. The recent TFL review on the diesel's performance has to be a good mark for them.
    B) They also haven't been sitting still with the new truck. Internally they are well aware that it missed the mark, thus the good changes they implemented for the 2020s.
    A) The TFL preview (that's what I'm calling it) is being taken out of context on this forum. In the video posted yesterday, they claimed GM's 3.0 towing limit is what it is because GM wanted to balance the FE with truck capabilities (WTF that means). And the engineers have to explain to me why the diesel has the same torque rating as the 6.2 V8, the same transmission with the same amount of gears & GM will charge you the same, but the gas V8 has 3,000 lbs. more in tow rating.

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    I do think the GMC Sierra will offset some of the weakness on the Chevy side.
    Let's see what our friends at Good Car, Bad Car say. I'll be fair here & we'll look at reported numbers. So, we still only have the first quarter numbers. Looking near the bottom of the page, we find:
    --Ram: 120,026
    --Silverado/Sierra: 114,313/40,547 (GM total: 154,860)

Let's see if we can get an average per month number. Ram was averaging 40,009 trucks per month. GM was averaging 38,105/13,516 per month for Silv/Sierra (51620 combined). Why did I point to this? Look at Ram's monthly sales numbers. For the last 2 months, Ram has sold more than the previous quarter's average. April, 53,811 & May with 67,117. We'll have to wait until the end of the month to see if GM has sold more than Q1 or stayed flat. If they sold less than Q1, I might be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    Really? The Diesel is going to save the day? The 3.0L Powerstroke less than 2% of F150's sales
    I was going to mention this as well. The diesel, while a good idea for this segment, still has a slim take rate. The maintenance costs seem to run all but the dedicated diesel owner away.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,424 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    I too refused Ram due to quality. It all looks great inside but...... I spent MONTHS on the 5th gen forums and same amount on the new GM forums. There is good and bad but way too many issues over at Ram, plus its powertrain is just average at best and the exterior puts me to sleep. Can't find a bad truck in the bunch though. After all my test drives and research I found them to ALL be good in their own way. Just find the one that check all the boxes that matter to you individually and bingo, you've found your truck! I found even the Nissan Titan (which constantly gets a bad rap) was a very well thought out truck.

Anyway, today is day 2 of 2019 Sierra ownership for me. I wanted a late build and I got a April build date. I have a bunch of time late this week and I'll list all my likes/dislikes. Availability is still a bit of a frustration, finding a black Denali Ultimate wasn't as easy as I thought it should have been. I'm not to worried for GM, they have one he!! of a nice truck, a few tweaks in the interior would be nice, but as-is its just awesome and so far I'm very pleased.
    The forum will demand a thread in the Members Garage section.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast