Chevy Closes In On Ford!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Closes In On Ford!

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Chevy Closes In On Ford!

Chevrolet dreamed the impossible dream. On Dec. 31, that dream may come true.

When Chevy initiated its "American Revolution" marketing program this year, one of its announced goals was to regain first place in car-truck sales. Chevrolet hasn't been the leader since 1986.

Colleagues smiled politely when Chevy talked about unseating Ford. In the auto business, you don't laugh outright at Chevrolet, but a polite smile is permitted if Chevy makes a preposterous statement.

Chevy's dream of being No. 1 was pretty preposterous. After all, in the last 10 years, Ford's winning margin has never been less than 200,000 units. In 1998, 1999 and 2000, Ford won by more than 800,000. Last year, it was 243,992. How was Chevrolet going to overcome deficits like that?

But pay attention. Going into October, Chevy was only 8,303 sales behind Ford for this year.

No way, Chevrolet

For the first six months of this year, there was no way Chevy was going to challenge Ford. Ford led by 67,567 after three months and lengthened its margin to 107,157 at midyear. Ford outsold Chevrolet in every one of those six months.

Then came the third quarter. Chevy loved it. Ford didn't. By the end of August, Chevy was down only 53,953, and in September, Chevy blew Ford out of the water, winning by an astonishing 45,650 sales. By Sept. 30, Chevrolet had reduced Ford's year-to-date advantage to 8,303 vehicles.

It would take a brave person to predict the year's outcome in print, but keep this in mind: Chevrolet is on a roll; Ford is being rolled.

Chevrolet has done it by a virtual wipeout of Ford in car sales. At this time a year ago, Ford had sold 8,000 more cars than Chevy. Now, Chevy has sold 165,000 more than Ford. Ford sits in fourth place in car sales behind Chevrolet, Toyota and Honda.

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=10207
    Last edited by nsap; 10-11-2004 at 07:16 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Great News! I saw it coming.
    GM number 1!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    It has always puzzled me how Ford had such a whopping advantage over Chevy the last several years in sales. The Taurus is old and out of date, the Crown Vic is a dinasour, the Explorer and Focus were getting recalled with quality control bugs almost on a monthly basis, the Contour was a sales dud the old T-bird was long gone, the Mustang had the newer 4.6 liter engine which annoyed 5.0 purists and the Cobras didn't even put out there advertised hp ratings in a specific year. The F-150 must have really sold like hot cakes!
    Meanwhile at Chevy the sucessful Lumina was winding down and a new bigger Impala was being introduced, the Silverado was redesigned and sold well, the cavalier sold like hot cakes, the Malibu was always a huge rental fleet seller like the Lumina but managed to find it's way into many homes, a new Trailblazer was on the horizen that was rated superior to the Exploder in most every way, and they still had the Camaro which whipped the Stang in just about every comparison.

Yet here was Ford outselling Chevy by huge numbers up till now. I think the new product introduced over the last several years by Chevy has finally caught up to Ford and beaten them at there own game. It will be interesting to see how well 2005 goes with the "year of the car" versus Chevy's almost completely revamped lineup.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    i was hopping that Chevy would pass ford

Thanks
    I think it is great that Chavy (and GM) are close to being back on top.

But, I just wonder how much profit this has cost GM... I know GM was throwing out some pretty big rebates on vehicles (especially trucks and SUVs) these past several months. Anyone know what kind of rebates Ford was offering? Were they comparable to the ones GM was offering?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member paul3230's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V
    Good news to hear. Chevy's going to be even better with the new Cobalt!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CompG_Dude
    I think it is great that Chavy (and GM) are close to being back on top.

But, I just wonder how much profit this has cost GM... I know GM was throwing out some pretty big rebates on vehicles (especially trucks and SUVs) these past several months. Anyone know what kind of rebates Ford was offering? Were they comparable to the ones GM was offering?
    GM has always been on top. Ford led divisions sales, which is not suprising as they only have three mainstream brands.

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Deathtrap (unconfirmed?) or not, the Cavalier was a HUGE sales success.
    The "bland" Malibu wasn't any more bland than the Accord or Camry. Aside from being a RWD V8, the Monte Carlo shares the same style and philosophy of all the past generation Montes. The Impala is a very decent seller. Who cares what it is called, as long as it sells. Most people aren't stuck in the past. A name is just a name.
    In the 90s, Chevrolet ignored. Today they seem to be getting their act together. This isn't going to happen overnight. But with sales beating Ford, it's definitely a start.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 White

Chevy v. Ford

I think that it is great that Chevy may actually pass up Ford for sales. I only hope that Chevy can continue keep up the sales. But new up coming models it just may be possible. Bring on RWD.

Thanks
    This is great and all, but it's really only because Ford is losing market share. Not because Chevy is gaining huge market share. Any market share that the have gained has come at the cost of rebates. This debate may have meant something in the 60's and 70's but today both Ford and Chevy should be looking over their shoulders at Toyota. Toyota is gaining FAST on both of them.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chev454ls's Avatar
    Thanks
    What is so great about Chevy's eventually overtaking of Ford is, this is just the beginning.
    '97 GTP
    '65 Impala Convertible

Thanks
    I dont think theyll quite do it....

with the 500 and new Stang both hitting the market, Ford sales will rebound, if only for a couple of model years. Plus they have the Fusion in 06....

Not saying these cars are really much better than their equivlent Chevys, just that they will cause sales to rise, even as chevy waits... and waits... and waits some more... for the Zetas. If you want to know why Ford beat chevy for the 90's, look at the top 10 overall sellers lists... i think in 99-02 they had nearly half the vehicles on it (F-series, Explorer, Taurus, Focus), while Chevy had just the Silverado, and maybe, at times, the Lumina/Impala. Also, I looked up the sales for Ford and Chevy, its not Chevy catching up, its Ford losing sales/market share even faster than Chevy.... Its Toyota, Honda, and Nissan that are winning.....

Thanks
    Good for Chevy and all, but I don't really think Chevy can hold it's lead over Ford for very long.

Way I see it...

It's not Chevy's Victory as much as it's Ford own dumb fault for being so late with their new product rollout.

Most of Chevy's line up is new compaired to that of Ford's antiquated, and I just don't think Chevy's new product is doing as good as it should be.

because of that considering it a victory just wouldn't satisfy.

I mean, What happens in 05 when Ford's new vehicles are released?

Mustang
    Fivehundred
    Freestyle

Fusion

All look very promising...

Id condider a Victory when Chevy Beats New vs New.
    Which probably isn't going to happen when the time comes.

I guess it's safe to say that Im not quite satisfied yet. Chevy can't let up yet.

Thanks
    As a GM employee, I'd really love to have Chevy beat Ford. One thing that the Ford camp has already been saying is that Ford largely got out of the unprofitable fleet business, which reduced its volume. Its true that Ford is focusing more on profit than volume.

Still, when Chevy passes Ford, it will undoubtedly make it a full-press event, and I doubt that the average 'Joe' out there even understands fleet sales. It could be some good publicity.

Thanks
    Ford is getting out of the fleet business, paring back incentives, and trying to rebuild its rep' and win marketshare back from the Japanese. This was entirely expected.

Volume does not equal profitability to sustainability. Isuzu and Mitsu' for example grew sales tremendously (on the back of incentives and shakey financing) in the years before their downfall. Not a long-term strategy for success...

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information