Chevy Camaro ZL1 Undergoes Brutal 24-Hour Test

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Camaro ZL1 Undergoes Brutal 24-Hour Test

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Autoblog
    September 12, 2011
    by Jeff Glucker

Testing a new car is always a grueling process. General Motors decided to ratchet things up a notch for the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, putting the car through an even more demanding test schedule than normal. Out on the Milford proving grounds, engineers pushed the Camaro ZL1 around the track for four hours per day over the course of six days.

These test sessions were divided into 40-minute segments, of which there were 36 sessions in total. That is a lot of track time for a new car, especially on a track that pushes vehicles to their limits. This is 24 hours of track work to see if and where something might go wrong

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: Chevy Camaro ZL1 Undergoes Brutal 24-Hour Test

So will it come with the racing seat and roll cage, or is that just for testing?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra AllTerrain 6.2

2 thoughts:

First, this is not a true 24 Hr test. It's 24 hours of testing broken up. Kind of mis-leading when you first look at it. They should have done a true continuous 24 Hr test (with pauses for driver hand offs just like in le mans). That would be a REAL torture test that would really show what the awesome camaro is made of...

2nd... Then I thought, well, basically they've pretty much already done this with the corvette racing program in le mans, as the camaro drivetrain is a derivative of the vettes. Not to mention the 3rd party vettes and CTS-V's that have run 24 hour races. So I guess you can say ya, they've already ran true 24hr tests.

Just my $.02

Edit: oh I should mention the Milford proving grounds aren't really set up for night testing from what I can tell, as I don't see any lighting or other elements that would make that feasible. I know parts of the le mans track are unlighted but still, for safety's sake I can see why they may not do it.
    Last edited by Bvonscott; 09-13-2011 at 12:47 AM.
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,165 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Bvonscott View Post
    2 thoughts:

First, this is not a true 24 Hr test. It's 24 hours of testing broken up. Kind of mis-leading when you first look at it. They should have done a true continuous 24 Hr test (with pauses for driver hand offs just like in le mans). That would be a REAL torture test that would really show what the awesome camaro is made of...

2nd... Then I thought, well, basically they've pretty much already done this with the corvette racing program in le mans, as the camaro drivetrain is a derivative of the vettes. Not to mention the 3rd party vettes and CTS-V's that have run 24 hour races. So I guess you can say ya, they've already ran true 24hr tests.

Just my $.02

Edit: oh I should mention the Milford proving grounds aren't really set up for night testing from what I can tell, as I don't see any lighting or other elements that would make that feasible. I know parts of the le mans track are unlighted but still, for safety's sake I can see why they may not do it.
    I could see 2 12 HR runs with a tear down over the first night

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 670 Posts

2 thoughts:

Doesn't the car have headlights? Since when is road lighting a requirement for night driving?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

There are some "sports cars" on the market that can't go a few laps around a race track without brake fade and are many are completely uncapable of running a 40 minute track session without modifications.

The ZL1's chief competitor is not designed for track use and the owner's manual indicates that.

The diff cooler, auxilary engine/trans cooler, and brake cooling vents are critical for track use.

24 hours of track time on an unmodified street car is very impressive.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
    There are some "sports cars" on the market that can't go a few laps around a race track without brake fade and are many are completely uncapable of running a 40 minute track session without modifications.

The ZL1's chief competitor is not designed for track use and the owner's manual indicates that.

The diff cooler, auxilary engine/trans cooler, and brake cooling vents are critical for track use.

24 hours of track time on an unmodified street car is very impressive.
    I agree, it is impressive. I wonder what, if anything, broke or has unacceptable wear.

Now, they need to go over to the drag strip and do about 100 runs down the 1/4 mile to see if they can break anything that way. Might as well be hard on everything now, because you know there is going to be a hot rodder that will.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 734 Posts
    My Ride
    Terrain Denali 2016, Black

I never cease to be amazed that those posting here seem to always know better than the engineers how to develop a car for market...in this case it just happens to be the test schedule. Good grief, do you think, just maybe, that there's the slightest outside chance they might actually know what they are doing? I'll be tallying the "no" answers to calibrate the "I Know Way More Than The Engineers And They Should Have Hired Me" quotient of this board.

There will always be opinions on things like design, powertrain offerings, etc... and that is to be expected...but development process? Really?

Now can we get the topic steered to the real issues of the day...like "weight"? We need to see at least 123 more posts on that.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

My question is what was blurred out on the trailer at about :25 in to the film?
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

b4z
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

2 thoughts:

Just my $.02

I understand the point you are making and mostly agree with it, but it's not exactly the same. The Camaro has more contact patch and much stickier tires which put more load on the drivetrain. Things that hold up fine in a Vette or even the much heavier CTS-V could fail on the Camaro.
    Same reason a LS7 clutch works grear in a 3150lb LS7 Vette but can slip in a mildy modified 3800lb GTO.

b4z
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    I agree, it is impressive. I wonder what, if anything, broke or has unacceptable wear.

Now, they need to go over to the drag strip and do about 100 runs down the 1/4 mile to see if they can break anything that way. Might as well be hard on everything now, because you know there is going to be a hot rodder that will.
    I think GM's process in the past has been 200 runs to make sure the tranny's can handle it.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC cadsrbest's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Yamaha Zuma Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    I noticed that also, just as Aaron Link was introducing himself . . . Hmmm
    maybe something else in the GM family needed some serious track time!
    Hidden Content Cadillac Style . . . America's Best! Hidden Content

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2000 Mustang GT, 2013 BMW 535i

Quote Originally Posted by cadsrbest View Post
    I noticed that also, just as Aaron Link was introducing himself . . . Hmmm
    maybe something else in the GM family needed some serious track time!
    Maybe brand X's competing vehicle to compare it against

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadsrbest View Post
    i noticed that also, just as aaron link was introducing himself . . . Hmmm
    maybe something else in the gm family needed some serious track time!
    ats-v? :d

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    Looks to me like a tow vehicle was blurred out. The trailer says 'Corvette Engineering'. Maybe Pratt & Miller (or someone else) is consulting on the project and Chevy doesn't really want to advertise it.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information