GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevy Bolt: Why Not Just Give Them Away?

8K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  richmond2000 
#1 ·
Cars.com
January 7, 2021

While January incentives typically take a breather following aggressive year-end sales, Chevy has actually brought back crazy 84-month APR deals plus up to $7,000 in rebates to start off the year.

Yesterday, dealer incentive bulletins reveal that Chevy began offering 0% APR plus down payment assistance across much of its lineup. The 2020 Bolt EV offers the most extreme deal at 0% APR for 84 months plus $7,000 in cash. While rebates usually aren't stackable with low APR, the offer is a combo deal when financing.

A variety of 2020 Chevys combine 84-month interest-free financing plus cash. Among the models still available at dealers, the most noteworthy examples include the Trax ($2,300 bonus), Equinox ($4,150 bonus), and Traverse ($1,350).
Source Below: Chevy.com

2020 CHEVROLET Bolt EV
For Well-Qualified Buyers
0% APR for 84 months
Plus
$7,000 For Very Well Qualified Buyers When Financed w/ GM Financial

#2 ·
So, you add a generous dealer discount, $7,000 cash back, $3000 GM Card bonus, $2000 New York State EV credit and in my case $3,100 in GM Card points and you have $ 15,100 in cash. Dealer discount at say $2500 and then 84 months of zero percent financing. $17,600 + finance savings of about $2500. That's TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Really, why not just give them away and be done with it?

Perhaps GM could do the right thing and cut the list price by $10,000. That would be the REAL savings as consumers would not have to pay sales tax on the inflated list and ridiculous incentive offers. Hate to say it, but follow Tesla's example and price your vehicles for market acceptance, not entry to the incentive circus.

#5 ·
Most card holders can only use $1k toward the Bolt + the $3k bonus.

Is this offer nationwide? Typically CARB states have the best Bolt rebates and those are the same states that often add an additional state rebate.

#16 ·
As a Bolt owner, I can tell you there are multiple spots where they cheapened out to save money in the interior. It is not something that is really a big deal to be honest.

I am assuming they can offer more discounts because of the credits and getting the cost of batteries down. I will say that you really need to check one out. For this kind of money, they are a no brainer for most.

#17 ·
Dannyg: You have to account for the flat daily charge to get an accurate cost basis. I suspect it's much higher overall per kWh in Long Island.

#22 · (Edited)
Hmmm, not sure about that. Let's say my electric bill is now $40/mo and it goes to $70/mo when I buy a Bolt. My incremental cost is thus $30/mo for the Bolt, I wouldn't need to add the other stuff. At least that's the way I'd look at it.

(If you literally have zero electric power at your house and have the power company install a line only for your EV, and only use it for your EV, the cost for having a Bolt vs. an ICE would be the entire electric bill.)

But now I see they buried .08 in the bill which I missed! So the incremental cost is around .18/KWH. So the cost for 66KWH is approx $11.88.

#28 ·
I was just comparing electricity rates (https://www.hydroquebec.com/data/documents-donnees/pdf/comparison-electricity-prices.pdf)and where I live, Manitoba, we actually do have some of the cheapest rates. I know that Manitoba Hydro has always maintained we have cheap electricity but damn, we do! Plus we sell our clean energy south to the states and to western and eastern Canada to keep our costs low. And I read that 96% of our energy is clean, renewable (Hydro-Electric, wind, gas, some diesel for remote communities) so no coal or nuclear. This means I should take advantage of bev sooner than later. But for much of NA, rates and coal generation makes electric a little less attractive. Speaking of which, I find the bolt cute and the nerd side of me wants one. It’s just priced ridiculously for what it is but for now, it’s still the best selling non-Tesla.

#34 ·
I had the opportunity to watch sports last weekend with my son and 3 of his friends who all love cars and technology. They are all in their early 30s, make more than $100k and have recently purchased or are about to purchase a vehicle. One has a baby and bought a Suburban, another a F-150 and a third a Tahoe. The fourth, my son has yet to pull the trigger. As I asked about why they chose their vehicles I was not surprised to hear all of the objective reasons. Also they they feel no need to to justify their decisions because Chevy and Ford have their own reputation and coolness factor relating to trucks and SUVs. They have all looked or are looking at a Tesla as a second vehicle or in the case of my son a primary. I asked about the Bolt, or Audi as an alternative. It was a nonissue. Tesla has the coolness factor. The coolness factor GM and Ford has for trucks and SUVs doesn’t automatically transfer. GM has an uphill climb.

#42 ·
M*******? EASY BUTTON!

We learned about M*******s when we moved to New Hampshire some time back. M*******s are all the people in Taxxachusetts who drive. Because they drive like maniacs, the cut to the right to get to the exit faster, they're rude, they...:fall:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.