Chevy Blazer Review: "How could something so cheap-feeling cost so much?" - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Blazer Review: "How could something so cheap-feeling cost so much?"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,497 Times in 3,154 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse
    Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    "Earth Shattering 11.9 Compression Ratio"

May I use that quote in my next Sales Presentation? Oh wait, "does Ford even Shatter the Earth when Porsche doesn't?"Oh wait "who would even care?"
    You are welcome to do that in your sales presentation, just make sure you provide proper attribution. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Incidentally, Toyota's most recent 2.5L 4-cylinder gasoline engine, the A25A, has a compression ratio of 13:1 (14:1 in the hybrid version). That may shatter Mars in addition to Earth. And make it more challenging for Elon Musk to colonize the red planet. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
    I call BS on toyotas claim, for one they avoid the SAE like a plague, then you look at their power output, even without SAE, and you wonder.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (05-14-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Chevy Blazer Review: "How could something so cheap-feeling cost so much?"

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I call BS on toyotas claim, for one they avoid the SAE like a plague, then you look at their power output, even without SAE, and you wonder.
    Why would they lie about a compression ratio?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (05-14-2019),Mr.Buttons (05-15-2019)

Thanks

Anyway back to the OP, I understand and almost can see the hypothetical conversation between the design team and the beancounters. It's evident throughout the range from the Cruze to the CT6.

Like I mentioned previously, on Enclave, probably one of the most attractive CUVs on the road, there is some cost cutting prevalent throughout the interior...for example:
    The tilt w/ carseat in place 2nd row captain's chairs...only the passenger side has this functionality.

On the CT6:
    There's just something weird about the leather patch around the nav screen...it's almost as if it were designed from jump to be larger and at the last second forced to use the corporate 8.4" screen.

I remember somewhere on the forum a while back during the CT6/7 design phase it was mentioned that there was some disagreement over what door handles should be used to save a few cents per unit...it seems that throughout the company this same mindset is taking control again.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

CJH (05-14-2019),Ed753 (05-14-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LONGHORN View Post
    Like the writer personally or not, he hit the nail straight on the head. How else can one explain a striking design only to be let down by the small things inside. And yes, I too was thinking of the Silverado. GM needs to purge the middle management types that keep penny pinching GM out of competitiveness.

How about giving the Blazer a premium interior since GM is charging premium prices for it, and cut the number trims and engine choices in half. It will simplify production and lower costs to pay for the higher quality interior. Honda this past week has stated its cutting back on trims, to be more...........wait for it...................Profitable.

The higher quality interior will sell itself, and screw trying to "protect" GMC or Buick. If its a problem then don't sell $50K Chevys. The customer demands and deserves an interior to match the price. Or is the plan to put $10K on the hood and sell them in $35K-$40K price range. Old GM thinking really bugs me, this car deserved better.
    Nah. Once its Dan Neil I give no credence to his articles and reviews. He was a utter cretin at the LA Times and he's a total jerk now at The Wall Street Journal, his consistency in splattering excreta when it comes to GM is quite remarkable. Dont need a dumbass like Dan Neil to remind me about GM's weak areas that they should work on. I have no respect for the man.

Also to this pervasive mantra of the Blazer being expensive. The auto rags were mostly given loaded V6 Premier and RS Blazers to test drive and review, those trims do go up to near $50k. Who in the buying public is going to buy a Chevrolet Blazer at 48k/50k? One can get a nicely optioned V6 cloth Blazer for much less than the top trims. I know people are pissed that this CUV has the storied Blazer name from the full sized two door BoF SUV of yore, but come on! These auto journalists need to ease up on the bias!
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evo69 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (05-14-2019),jzchev28 (05-15-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Its not lying, its using their own internal standards instead of generally accepted industry standards, this is rampant in the industry, that is for example why , GM, Ford and Chrysler went to SAE certified towing standards for advertised max tow rating, due to previous wild claims...
    Same thing happens in Engines.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (05-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evo69 View Post
    Nah. Once its Dan Neil I give no credence to his articles and reviews. He was a utter cretin at the LA Times and he's a total jerk now at The Wall Street Journal, his consistency in splattering excreta when it comes to GM is quite remarkable. Dont need a dumbass like Dan Neil to remind me about GM's weak areas that they should work on. I have no respect for the man.

Also to this pervasive mantra of the Blazer being expensive. The auto rags were mostly given loaded V6 Premier and RS Blazers to test drive and review, those trims do go up to near $50k. Who in the buying public is going to buy a Chevrolet Blazer at 48k/50k? One can get a nicely optioned V6 cloth Blazer for much less than the top trims. I know people are pissed that this CUV has the storied Blazer name from the full sized two door BoF SUV of yore, but come on! These auto journalists need to ease up on the bias!
    TBH the only Blazer I'd buy would be a Premier or an RS. The LS and LT do have a "cheap" look about them. That being said, GM never really sells their cars at MSRP anyway, they always overprice by +/- 10% and then incentive to where they want to really sell at. Then from the incentivized price negotiations begin.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

Thanks

Its not lying, its using their own internal standards instead of generally accepted industry standards, this is rampant in the industry, that is for example why , GM, Ford and Chrysler went to SAE certified towing standards for advertised max tow rating, due to previous wild claims...
    Same thing happens in Engines.
    What I'm ultimately getting at is compresison ratio isn't really a rating, it's kind of like a fact. I just don't understand why would they fudge their compression ratio...it's not really a bragging matter.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    On the contrary, Dan Neil is among the most honest and incisive automotive journalists extant. He previously wrote for Car and Driver, Autoweek, and LA Times. AFAIK, he is currently the only automotive journalist to have won a Pulitzer prize (which Neil earned in 2004).

While Mr. Neil's writing style is renowned, he would benefit from a editor to catch technical errors. There were at least two in his Chevy Blazer article: the 3.6L V6 uses an aluminum block, not iron; and the aspect ratio of the 21" tires is 45, not 35.
    You are telling me he is honest and knows a lot about cars and yet he does not even know the 3.6L V6 uses an aluminum block? That does not look honest or knowledgeable to me!

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Al465 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-14-2019),AMERICA 123 (05-14-2019),bongos2u (05-15-2019),Evo69 (05-14-2019),glssmann1 (05-14-2019),jzchev28 (05-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,496 Times in 3,801 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

A review is made up of two pieces, fact and opinion. Facts are hp, wheelbase length and other measurable dimensions and results. Styling and driving enjoyment are opinions, quality of materials is partially fact and opinion. Quality of materials can be partially measured by cost of the materials, but just because a material costs a lot doesn't mean it is quality, or it can cost a lot but the presentation of it can impact its appearance of quality. And how "expensive" something feels is certainly an opinion.

I think most of us have read several reviews of the Blazer, all of the one's I've read have been pleased by the handling and V6 performance. As a result, I have to throw out this guys negative opinion in this area as an outlier.

As far as the materials, I have read a few complaints with the Blazer and GM certainly has a long history of complaints for cheaping out. I suspect to an extent his opinion is shaded by GM's history, he went in looking for the areas GM cheaped out. Were he to think the Blazer was a Toyota, would he have "found" all of this cheapness? I haven't driven a Blazer, but I have sat in one and did not walk away feeling like the interior was the epitome of cheap. I think his impression is based on expectations of cheapness fed by a few real examples of cheapness in the interior.

With that said, GM needs to go above and beyond to shake this "cheap interior" image, they can't just be competitive with the poor image they've earned.

And, he is basing his opinion on the materials at the $50k price point. There is already $2k on the hood, how much longer until there is $5k on the hood? Meaning that is the quality of the interior in-line with what people will actually be paying vs. this mythical $50k price that no one other than a few early adapters will pay?

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-14-2019),Evo69 (05-14-2019),JimmyDiablo (05-14-2019),jzchev28 (05-15-2019),ksss (05-14-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    What I'm ultimately getting at is compresison ratio isn't really a rating, it's kind of like a fact. I just don't understand why would they fudge their compression ratio...it's not really a bragging matter.
    Ya Man.

It is why an L84 5.3L is only 355 hp and 383 ft/lbs with 11.0 Comp. Ratio and a 2018+ 5.0L Coyote is 395 hp and 400 ft/lbs with 12.0 Comp. Ratio.

Smaller Displacement but more Compression ='s "Better"

Never watch "This Is Spinal Tap?" Imagine if their Amp went to 12!

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Ya Man.

It is why an L84 5.3L is only 355 hp and 383 ft/lbs with 11.0 Comp. Ratio and a 2018+ 5.0L Coyote is 395 hp and 400 ft/lbs with 12.0 Comp. Ratio.

Smaller Displacement but more Compression ='s "Better"

Never watch "This Is Spinal Tap?" Imagine if their Amp went to 12!
    compression ratio, higher, better FE, and more power..

So Toyota at 14 ratio makes only 3 more horses than Chevrolet at 11 ratio makes 5 more torques, same displacement..
    Something does not add up.
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 05-14-2019 at 04:49 PM.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 556 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

I see the GM fanboi squad is in full force on this one. What a surprise lol.

It's funny I didn't read this article at first but I heard it from a customer in Honda showroom while I was showing a new Passport today.
    2018 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop (Plum Crazy Purple)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-14-2019),Let Them Fail (05-15-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post

It's funny I didn't read this article at first but I heard it from a customer in Honda showroom while I was showing a new Passport today.
    A honda sales man lecturing Chevrolet on interiors, lol, the noise,plastics galore, poor infographics and insert radio here approach, plus, non existant telematics..

Honda is a joke.. Yeah.. I know they last for ever...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (05-14-2019),Evo69 (05-14-2019),glssmann1 (05-14-2019),jzchev28 (05-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,496 Times in 3,801 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post

So a Honda fanboi is more reliable than a GM fan? Honda fans aren't biased?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 642 Posts

compression ratio, higher, better FE, and more power..

So Toyota at 14 ratio makes only 3 more horses than Chevrolet at 11 ratio makes 5 more torques, same displacement..
    Something does not add up.
    Yep, Something doesn't Compute.

Are you sure the Decimal is in the right place?

12.0-1 vs 11.0-1 is only about compressing 12 measurements (lets say cups) of air into a 1 cup space. Verses 11 cups of air into a 1 cup space (displacement being equal). Where did the 1 cup go?

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information