Chevrolet's 3-Door Kalos Points Way to a Sportier Aveo

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet's 3-Door Kalos Points Way to a Sportier Aveo

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Justin Couture
    Canadian Auto Press

Chevrolet is the definitive American brand, a staple for the North American consumer when it comes to affordable automobiles, sport utilities and pick up trucks, reaching a level of household notoriety that few brands can challenge.

While Chevrolet may rein supreme in North America, its brand equity isn't as strong elsewhere in the world. This won't surprise anyone who has traveled to Europe, for instance, where the only Chevy that you might see is a Corvette, and that would be a rare sighting. Another GM rarity might be a late model Cadillac, but again you'd need to drive for quite some time to see one.

The move to swap nameplates on Daewoo's 2005 lineup was a surprise to most nevertheless, and one that seems questionable being that those who disrespect the Daewoo brand will now cast the same doubt over Chevrolet. After all, most Europeans will be savvy enough to notice that a new badge is all that separates the Chevrolets from their Daewoo predecessors, making the strategy to establish the bowtie brand in Europe odd to say the least.

Nevertheless Chevrolet premiered its branding affixed to a new Daewoo-sourced (well actually GMDAT or General Motors Daewoo Automotive & Technology Company sourced) production model at this year's Paris Motor Show.

Currently the Kalos (Aveo) is only available as a five-door hatchback and a four-door notchback sedan, but a sporty and stylish three-door version was what Chevrolet chose for introducing its brand to Europe, a model that is sure to show up in various incantations throughout the world in short order. The Kalos 3-door is expected to be in European showrooms as early as February 2005 in a series of new Chevrolet-branded dealerships.

The 3-door Kalos has a few purposes. One is to give the subcompact a trendy new look emphasizing sportiness, which is translated through a more curved roofline and angular rear quarter windows. Although it doesn't have a pair of rear doors, the Kalos retains the same dimensions of its 5-door hatch at 3,880 mm (152.8 inches) in length, 1,670 mm (65.7 inches) in width, and 1495 mm (58.9 inches) in height. What has changed, however, are minor details such as new bumpers, plus aerodynamically optimized add-ons such as the rooftop rear spoiler, and of course the golden bowtie badge. Unlike the five-door, the new three-door also features wedge-like door rub-strips to add an extra bit of visual flair while protecting the handsome body. The European Kalos features unique headlights, which encompass the main beams plus the turn signals, a slightly different design than the North American Aveo.

The Kalos is expected to be the building block for the Chevrolet brand in Europe. In its two years of production, the five-door Kalos made up 42 percent of Daewoo sales and was considered to be the brand's most important model. Statistics have proven this claim veritable, with some 40,000 orders already taken in the first six months of this year and a total of 21,000 units in the USA for the Aveo.

Will we get the Kalos three-door? The answer, while not confirmed by General Motors, is most likely yes. Currently, Toyota is the only manufacturer in Canada to offer a three-door subcompact budget vehicle, and therefore it would be foolish of General Motors to allow the Japanese firm to reap all the rewards of being the only member of the class.

FULL Article Here: http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/...tid=30506&pg=1

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    That would do well if it is introduced in North America. The only negative I see are those tini wheels, but I guess not much can be done with those. Otherwise it actually looks pretty sporty and stylish.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laserwizard
    Here is a quick modification to the original. Added doorlettes, shortened front to better balance with rest of car, and changed rear wheel arch a bit.
    Much better! I think those mods help alot. It would also give the car some unique appeal as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Can any one say death trap? I think I would rather drive a streetbike
    2002 GMC Duramax Diesel
    2000 Ram Air Trans Am
    1986 TA
    1986 Sierra Diesel
    1982 TA

Thanks
    What Would Louis Chevrolet Say ???

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Taurus SHO White
    Well looks better than the 4 and 5 door Aveo's but really that isn't saying much at all. I know they are low end in all buy are all sub compacts so ugly. I have never seen a sub compact with decent looks.

Darc Requiem

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by MTRANS
    Can any one say death trap? I think I would rather drive a streetbike
    Actually the Aveo 5 Door and 4 Door recieved 5 star front crash ratings for both driver and passenger: http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/2...t/aveo/safety/. The inherited benefit of having a stiffer chassis in a 3-door (but not by much) would only improve that, as long as you don't hit an SUV. This 3-Door model, along with that facia added to the 5 and 4 door models would make the Aveo Dominate and take over top position in the sub-compact market, in which it is a #2 seller, only behind the Hyundai Accent, and not by much.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    Sacre merde. Just what the French have been looking for a long time. Not to mention every east European who treasures his last Trabant.

Thanks
    Currently, Toyota is the only manufacturer in Canada to offer a three-door subcompact budget vehicle, and therefore it would be foolish of General Motors to allow the Japanese firm to reap all the rewards of being the only member of the class.
    What happened to the Pontiac Wave???!!!??? Has that come out yet there in Canada?

Anyway, the Kalos would be great for an SS model on top of the Aveo, but its pretty stupid to make an SS model of such a cheap car. How big of an engine can you fit into a small car....hmmm....

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks
    The Wave is now available. But it's still a 5-door.

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks
    Note that "sporty" is pretty much all about the looks, since the exterior dimensions are the same, and the weight is probably only minimally affected.

With these looks (same headlights and grille!), and a better - less "bargain basement" engine, such as a high revving 1.8L Suzuki engine from Japan, this could be a neat little car.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by powervette
    What Would Louis Chevrolet Say ???
    Probably what he said 90 years ago...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thanks
    Hmmmmm, little car, little weight. Could be kinda fun w/ the right engine.

Thanks
    wouldnt surprise me if we got the 3 door. america seems to be moving towards smaller cars, which may be a good thing

Thanks
    That car needs to be here. As I watch traffic go by my office every morning, I would much rather dart in and out in that rather than my Suburban I currently drive. My wife wants an Aveo, and we will be getting one in the spring. But I told her 5 door only, the 4 door sedan looks like everything else we see on the road. Now if GM would offer a supercharger for the Aveo as they are for my ECOTEC powered Sunfire I might have to take the Aveo away from her and drive it myself...

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information