Chevrolet loses money selling cheap Corvettes

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet loses money selling cheap Corvettes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 674 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Chevrolet loses money selling cheap Corvettes

If the mid-engine 2020 Corvette Stingrayís $59,995 price seems like good deal, thatís because it is.

But maybe not for Chevrolet. Motor Trend reports that Chevy will take a loss on every Stingray sold for under $79,995, which is enough to get you a well-optioned 3LT trim level coupe equipped with a Z51 performance package.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/chevrol...heap-corvettes

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,993 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Chevrolet loses money selling cheap Corvettes

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...leader-295545/ Been there done this, just a different source relying on the same source.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

09W (12-02-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,314 Posts

Doesn't this seem rather stupid? It would be great if you're in the market for a Corvette. But, it's not like the Corvette lacks recognition and needs incentives to attract interest in a brand new model, particularly a model as new as the C8. I'm not saying that they should gouge people, but why not sell it for a profitable price while the demand is so high?
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,963 Times in 3,993 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Doesn't this seem rather stupid? It would be great if you're in the market for a Corvette. But, it's not like the Corvette lacks recognition and needs incentives to attract interest in a brand new model, particularly a model as new as the C8. I'm not saying that they should gouge people, but why not sell it for a profitable price while the demand is so high?
    I'd say because people aren't yet ready for a Corvette with a base price of $80k. I'm sure GM will transition the Corvette to that $80k base over a few years. If the C8 had a Porsche badge there wouldn't be an issue charging $150k for the base, but the Vette doesn't yet have that level of prestige.

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I'd say because people aren't yet ready for a Corvette with a base price of $80k. I'm sure GM will transition the Corvette to that $80k base over a few years. If the C8 had a Porsche badge there wouldn't be an issue charging $150k for the base, but the Vette doesn't yet have that level of prestige.
    It seems like they barely increased the base over the C7. Hey, I'm all for a deal though I have no plans to buy a C8. But it seems like a poor business decision. $80K might have been too much of an increase in a year, but that $60K base seems too low. The Corvette buyer base isn't stupid. They know that this is an all-new car with stunning capabilities. They run the risk of using up a lot of their buyer pool on no-profit cars.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

09W
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I'm not saying that they should gouge people, but why not sell it for a profitable price while the demand is so high?
    It's from Motor Trend; it's not anything official from General Motors.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,499 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I think the main problem is one that GM created years ago in keeping the Corvette affordable they boxed themselves into a corner. By not raising the brand starting with the C5 they really messed up the ceiling with the C8.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (12-03-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,993 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    True, and their information may not even be reliable at that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

XP300 (12-02-2019)

09W
    Thanks

It's simple logic.
    Chevrolet planned on an MSRP of $79,995. That says ZERO about where the break-even would be, except that it would be UNDER that number.
    Senselessly assuming (without hard data) that anything under that is a "loss" is based on the theory that Chevy planned to make $0 per car at $79,995.

Chevy is not going to build a brand new car with a planned MSRP that gives them a hard loss.
    Yes; I'm aware that another 'journalist source' said the Bolt "could" lose as much as $7500 per car, but that's not hard data; it's a wild guess.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,698 Times in 4,156 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

What the Brain Trust needs to do is build a pickumuptruck offen the 'vette chassis. People will gladly scratch the 100 grand barrier for a PUT. Then when they've gotten the marks used to a 100 or 110 grand Corvette PUT, start jacking up the real Corvette price. Nobody will notice!

It's simple logic.
    Chevrolet planned on an MSRP of $79,995. That says ZERO about where the break-even would be, except that it would be UNDER that number.
    Senselessly assuming (without hard data) that anything under that is a "loss" is based on the theory that Chevy planned to make $0 per car at $79,995.

Chevy is not going to build a brand new car with a planned MSRP that gives them a hard loss.
    Yes; I'm aware that another 'journalist source' said the Bolt "could" lose as much as $7500 per car, but that's not hard data; it's a wild guess.
    Wait, just wait a minute! You're saying a wild-ass guess is NOT hard data?????????????????
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 12-03-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

"but the Vette doesn't yet have that level of prestige" - and it will never do - GM as a whole has an image problem that keeps a lot of buyers out of the showrooms. They sell, sure, but for the 100.000$ shopper they will most probably look somewhere else. I am not talking car enthusiasts, I am talking general public.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

C8s will trend upward, price wise. Doesn't everything? Still, I seriously doubt they're actually losing money with the base car.

I'm holding out for a 120,000 dollar full size pickup myself. Now THAT will be prestigious!
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (12-03-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Corvettes have more prestige than people give them credit for. Yeah, a lot of people will never accept that they're the equal of a Porsche no matter what Chevy does. But does anyone know the ATP of the C7? They weren't exactly giving those away. Whenever I looked at those on the lot, very few were stickered anywhere near the base price. Many of them were well in excess of $70,000.

Thanks

Right, and it's amazing how much traction this story has gotten, and embellished, based on virtually nothing. Whoever the source might have been, and assuming this wasn't intentionally leaked, GM needs to crush it.

And let's not forget that Motor Trend already botched the whole dyno testing thing, becoming a debacle due to their own mistakes, yet they used it as an excuse to insinuate that Chevy sent them a "ringer". I guess one could argue that they made up for it by naming the Vette their Car of the Year, but I still think they're reckless and generally pro-import.

Determining profitability is a tricky business, and often includes R&D costs with an unknown sales volume over the life of the vehicle, and not accounting how some of that development might trickle into future product. That's why I think this story is BS, and Motor Trend shamefully made it into headline news that now all the other vultures have picked up on. If it was a story about Kia selling the Telluride at a loss, you would have never seen it spread, no less to Fox News.
    Last edited by yamahr1; 12-03-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    Right, and it's amazing how much traction this story has gotten, and embellished, based on virtually nothing. Whoever the source might have been, and assuming this wasn't intentionally leaked, GM needs to crush it.
    Let's wait and see, if the C8 prices start going up by several thousand dollars after the first model year... it might be true.
    This is my new account, I've been a member here since 2004.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information