Chevrolet Gets No Respect: But It's Still on Track to Sell More Cars and Trucks...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Gets No Respect: But It's Still on Track to Sell More Cars and Trucks...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 mystikranger's Avatar
    Thanks

Chevrolet Gets No Respect: But It's Still on Track to Sell More Cars and Trucks...

By Frank S. Washington
    Chevrolet Gets No Respect: But It's Still on Track to Sell More Cars and Trucks Than Anybody
    08-08-2005

Chevrolet is an auto company within itself. It sells cars ranging from the Aveo to the Impala to the Corvette and it is one of a handful of full-line nameplates. With staples like the Silverado, the Tahoe and the Suburban, Chevy sold 1.8 million light trucks last year alone.

Still, it's mildly amazing that with all of the attention that General Motors gets, comparative little light falls on Chevrolet. Through June, Chevy accounted for almost 60 percent of GM's U.S. sales. The bottom line is that GM isn't going anywhere unless Chevy takes it there.

No Respect
    Chevrolet is a giant that gets no respect. When it surpassed Ford in June to become the best-selling nameplate in the U.S., there was hardly a whimper. When it laid out a feasible plan last year to sell 3 million vehicles annually, the response was sort of ho-hum. And with the rollout of redesigns and all-new products this year, coverage has been piecemeal.

Chevy's ascent to the top has been aided by GM's aggressive incentives. Starting with the Cobalt last fall. The HHR and the Impala are just hitting showrooms. And the Corvette Z06 comes to market this fall.

I doubt that the car-buying public thinks of a Corvette as a Chevrolet. The Z06 has a reported 0-60-mph time of 3.7 seconds in first gear. But interested enthusiasts will have to go to a Chevy dealership to get a look at the new 'Vette.

What they'll find there, in addition to the HHR and the Impala, is a freshened Malibu, Malibu Maxx and Monte Carlo. And they'll be told that every quarter next year, Chevy will introduce a redesigned light truck. It'll start with the Tahoe in January, then the Suburban, the Avalanche and the Silverado.

More Article
    Last edited by Ming; 08-09-2005 at 08:37 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Current Ride:
    2007 Chevy HHR LT
    Future Ride:
    2010 Camaro SS

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Chevrolet Gets No Respect: But It's Still on Track to Sell More Cars and Trucks..

Why? Content. Chevy has leveraged GM's size better than any of its division. For the last few years, its products have featured equipment that was only found on top-shelf brands.
    So, please remind me WHY there is no automatic climate control on either the 2000-05 Impala or the more upscale 2006? Is it really that difficult to steal the head unit from the Lucerne (given the Lucerne interior is quasi-identical to the Impala), and whatever other parts you need from a W body with auto climate control like the LaCrosse/Allure or 05 Grand Prix?

That being said, this article is unusually pro-GM for Edmunds.

One factual error:
    - it wasn't the "Metro" brand, it was Geo

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 2005 Equinox LS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Chevrolet Gets No Respect: But It's Still on Track to Sell More Cars and Trucks...

Why would one want automatic climate control? Every one I have used in a cars seems to try to second guess me. I might want the air coming out of the dash vents but in the heat mode the one I used wont let you do that. Nor will they let you move some air-conditioning to the floor if it is warm. Could just be me though.
    2008 Chevrolet Impala LS.

1981 Pontiac Bonneville. "The last full sized RWD Bonneville".

1985 Chevrolet Caprice.

2007 Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor.

1986 John Deere Lawn Tractor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Chevrolet Gets No Respect: But It's Still on Track to Sell More Cars and Trucks..

Quote Originally Posted by 2005 Equinox LS
    Why would one want automatic climate control? Every one I have used in a cars seems to try to second guess me. I might want the air coming out of the dash vents but in the heat mode the one I used wont let you do that. Nor will they let you move some air-conditioning to the floor if it is warm. Could just be me though.
    I agree. I want my air how I want it. On my Grandparents Bimmer they don't know how to turn it off so it blasts and then goes to low everyother 15 seconds; it drives everyone insane. Idrive my BEEEEEEEP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2005 Equinox LS
    What automatic climate control systems have you used?

The ones I know will let you pick a particular setting (e.g. floor, windshield, etc) and fan speed if you want to run it manually...

The beauty of automatic climate control is this: when it's 34 degrees C outside (that's like... 95ish F, IIRC, for our friends south of the border?), you get into the car, turn the key (or, if you're lucky enough to have an 05 LaCrosse/Allure/Grand Prix or an 04-05 Malibu LT, you use the remote starter), and the system will blast you with cold air. As the cabin cools down and gets to your preset temperature, it will slow the fan down until it's basically running at the slowest speed and just maintaining your nice cool 23C.

If you have a manual setup, when you get in the car, you have to set it at full blast cold, highest fan speed, then while you're driving along, regularly turn down the fan speed, possibly increase the temperature, etc. It's a lot of work that a decently equipped (e.g. Impala LTZ) car should do for you.

Quick list, for the record, of auto climate control availability on 2006 GM vehicles (note: in most of these, it's only on the higher trim level... but at least it's available):
    - Malibu
    - 2005+ Grand Prix (it was in the old GP, but somehow it was omitted from the 2004... thankfully GM fixed that for 2005)
    - 2006 G6 (GTP only... so if I want to be kept cool automagically, I have to buy a thirsty engine that gets 18/24 on the EPA cycle... thanks GM)
    - LaCrosse/Allure
    - 2006 Lucerne
    - entire Cadillac lineup
    - Rendezvous
    - all GMT-800 trucks
    - all GMT-360 trucks

Vehicles shamefully missing from this list:
    - Equinox/Torrent
    - G6 GT (how bloody hard can it be to bolt the system from the GTP into the GT and charge 500 bucks for it?)
    - Terraza (which gets dual zone manual instead of single zone manual like other CSVs)

Honestly, as a car fan, I'm disgusted that in a fully loaded 1500 Silverado or a Trailblazer, you can get auto climate control, but in a fully loaded Impala, you can't. Memo to GM: not all of us want body-on-frame RWD trucks, despite your best efforts to shove them down our throats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by surferdude00711
    I agree. I want my air how I want it. On my Grandparents Bimmer they don't know how to turn it off so it blasts and then goes to low everyother 15 seconds; it drives everyone insane. Idrive my BEEEEEEEP.
    So tell them to trade it in for an STS or CTS Problem solved. (If they can't operate THAT climate control system manually, trade them in for new grandparents...)

You seem to be forgetting one thing: every auto system that I've seen WILL let you operate it manually if you don't push the little button that says "auto", so having auto climate control on the option list (or on the actual car) doesn't prevent you from setting your air how you want it if that's your preference...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mystikranger
    Chevrolet Gets No Respect: But It's Still on Track to Sell More Cars and Trucks Than Anybody
    So basically its the Rodney Dangerfield of Car makes? Anyways on a more serious note. I'm glad Chevy is number one and i hope and think it will stay that way. Chevy has alot of good products coming.

Thanks

Re: Chevrolet Gets No Respect: But It's Still on Track to Sell More Cars and Trucks...

I think if the Malibu and most Chevy Trucks can get automatic climate control, then the Impala should at least get a single zone automatic climate control. When you move upscale from a Malibu LT V6, you should expect to see that as an option on Impala.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

The author also forgot to point out another interesting achievement on Chevrolet's part: it sells more "luxury vehicles" (cars with a supra-$42,000 pricetag) than anyone else, even its sister division, Cadillac.

Thanks

Part of the reason Chevy doesn't get the "attention" is because they have become the biggest nameplate for the wrong reasons. They didn't get there because they created highly desirable cars that were in high demand; they got there because they flooded the market with cars, while selling more than a third of its vehicles to employees and fleets.

If Toyota wanted, they could flood the market and take the crown, but they're more interested in profitability. GM and Ford made big mistakes by doing what they did over the last few years.

*ducks under desk*
    Last edited by PeterPuck; 08-09-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VivienM
    So, please remind me WHY there is no automatic climate control on either the 2000-05 Impala or the more upscale 2006? Is it really that difficult to steal the head unit from the Lucerne (given the Lucerne interior is quasi-identical to the Impala), and whatever other parts you need from a W body with auto climate control like the LaCrosse/Allure or 05 Grand Prix?

That being said, this article is unusually pro-GM for Edmunds.

One factual error:
    - it wasn't the "Metro" brand, it was Geo
    I have always wondered that myself. I mean the Taurus and Sable have had it right along.

Thanks

This article is dead on. Everyone bow down and kiss Chevy's back side!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 Tony's BlkGTP's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm in agreement with VivienM on the climate control issue. When I do ride with other people, I'm amaze at how they can't properly operate the manual controls. When the temperature in the vehicle gets cool, instead of them adjusting the temperature control, they shut the system off. With the auto controls, you set your temp and let the system do the work for you. And if you want the air flow different, you can still manually change it. All of the systems that I have had or been around, you could and those consist of GM and Ford systems.

One other thing that bugs me about Chevrolets is that the only one that offers a heads up display is the Corvette. I really think it's a good safety feature that is overlooked by many people. I really miss it when I don't drive my Grand Prix. Otherwise, I don't dislike Chevys, I think they are very good cars and trucks and deserve more recognition.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GMinTheDriveway's Avatar
    Thanks

This thread is turning into a love/hate thing over Automatic climate controls. Having had experience with both, I must say I prefer manual controls for one reason: You can adjust with a touch of a finger the hot/cold mix of air coming out of the vents. Auto climate controls are very one-sided. You are either blowing full cold or full hot until the thing decides you are at the right temperature. Yes, the fan will slow itself down eventually, but it is still blowing boiling or freezing air. Not all of us want that extreme. My frost-bitten fingers protest, as do my sweating feet.

For instance, I must adjust the mix on my GTO because the a/c is simply too cold to blow on me constantly. I don't want to have to wear gloves in the summer so I just twist the (manual control) knob and vois-la! Nice cool air.

The idea of auto climate controls is great for remote-starting and it's very "high-tech wowee" but in practicality it doesn't have enough adjustment. That's my take on the thing.
    Currently in the driveway:

2005 GMC Canyon Z85 Crewcab
    2002 Saturn SL2
    2000 Saturn SL2
    1969 Chevrolet Camaro 350
    1968 Firebird 400 Coupe
    Non-GM
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2002 BMW 325Ci convertible

Gone but not forgotten:
    2005 Pontiac GTO Supercharged 487RWHP/490RWTQ

Thanks

Chevy has slowly walked to the top in this country over the last few years and they finally got there.

They make some good cars and trucks some of them can be called the best in their class.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information