Chevrolet Corvette Voted 2020 North American Car of the Year

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Corvette Voted 2020 North American Car of the Year

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Chevrolet Corvette Voted 2020 North American Car of the Year

CHEVROLET CORVETTE VOTED 2020 NORTH AMERICAN CAR OF THE YEAR

Chevrolet
    January 13, 2020

2020 Stingray impresses independent group of prestigious journalists

DETROIT – The all-new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray has been selected as the 2020 North American Car of the Year by a 50-member jury of independent journalists. The Stingray was selected not only for its revolutionary mid-engine design, but for its level of refinement and impressive performance.

The Corvette was previously honored with this award in 1998 for the introduction of the fifth generation and again in 2014 for the introduction of the seventh generation. Corvette executive chief engineer Tadge Juechter received the award this morning at a public ceremony held at the TCF Center in Detroit.

“It’s humbling to be selected for this award by such an impressive jury of automotive journalists,” said Juechter. “Our team poured our hearts and souls into this vehicle, and to see such an overwhelmingly positive reception makes it all worthwhile. We are sure our customers will love the new Corvette as much as these jurors and we can’t wait to get them behind the wheel."

The North American Car, Utility and Truck of the Year Awards honor excellence in innovation, design, safety, performance, technology, driver satisfaction and value. Founded in 1994 by Christopher Jensen, who also formed the first committee, the NACTOY awards are judged by approximately 50 professional automotive journalists from the United States and Canada who work for independent magazines, television, radio, newspapers and industry websites. After evaluating the field of competitors, jurors vote individually by way of Deloitte to determine finalists and winners in each category.

“The 2020 Corvette represents a new era for the iconic brand,” said Lauren Fix, North American Car, Utility and Truck of the Year president. “The excitement from consumers has been overwhelming. From a journalist's perspective, this is one of the best-built GM products that exemplifies what it means to be the North American Car of the Year.”

Corvette production will begin in February 2020 at General Motors’ Bowling Green Assembly in Kentucky, with customer deliveries taking place shortly thereafter.
    Last edited by BahamaTodd; 01-13-2020 at 09:51 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-13-2020),dannyg (01-13-2020),eklauss (Today),Oldsmobile stopped (01-13-2020),rand49er (01-13-2020),rockyspaw (01-13-2020),Tiocfaidh ar la (01-13-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Re: Chevrolet Corvette Voted 2020 North American Car of the Year

Was there really any other choice?
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rockyspaw For This Useful Post:

Al465 (Yesterday),BlackGTP (01-13-2020),eklauss (Today),Evo69 (Yesterday),ksss (01-13-2020),wallus13 (01-13-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Chevrolet Corvette, Jeep Gladiator, Kia Telluride win North American car, truck, utility awards
    Automotive News
    January 13, 2020

DETROIT -- The eighth-generation Chevrolet Corvette won the 2020 North American Car of the Year while the Jeep Gladiator took the truck win, and the Kia Telluride was named top utility vehicle of the year.

This year's winners were selected by a jury of 50 American and Canadian automotive journalists — including Automotive News engineering reporter Richard Truett — from a group of three finalists in each category. A vehicle must have been redesigned or significantly changed during 2019 to be eligible for the award.

The Chevrolet Corvette beat the Toyota Supra, created in collaboration with BMW, and the Hyundai Sonata for the car award. A sports car has not won the title since 2014, with the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. The Corvette also won the award in 1998.

The redesigned Corvette, for the first time since the car debuted in 1953, features an engine behind the driver.

FCA's Jeep Gladiator won the truck award over the Ford Ranger and the Ram Heavy Duty in a battle between two Detroit automakers.This is the first time a Jeep has taken the truck title since the Jeep Grand Cherokee in 1999.

The Kia Telluride took utility vehicle of the year over the Hyundai Palisade and the Lincoln Aviator. Kia has never won a NACTOY title before, but was a finalist in the car category for the Kia Stinger in 2018.

Vehicles were judged on several categories including innovation, design, safety, performance, technology, value and driver satisfaction.

The three finalists in each category were selected from a list of 29 vehicles announced in September. For the first time since 2014, no European vehicles made it as NACTOY finalists.

The North American Car, Utility and Truck of the Year awards were founded in 1994. The Utility Vehicle of the year award was added in 2017.
    Last edited by BahamaTodd; 01-13-2020 at 09:51 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

nota (Today)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Stingray both past & present has always been one of my favourite cars, great to see Chevy Corvette Engineers being rewarded and recognised for all the hard work they put into the Stingray, great news.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

What a concept - put your heart and soul into making an outstanding product, and you get - an outstanding product.
    Hopefully this wakes GM up from its middle-to-below average aim.
    And also reminds us GM CAN make excellent products IF IT PUTS ITS HEART AND SOUL INTO THE EFFORT!!!!
    Last edited by Dr.Show-Me; 01-13-2020 at 11:44 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Show-Me For This Useful Post:

nota (Today),tgagneguam (01-13-2020)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

Autoline predicted this a few days ago. The panel was in total agreement on the Gladiator and Vette. I think one panelist disagreed on Telluride.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (01-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,191 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Autoline predicted this a few days ago. The panel was in total agreement on the Gladiator and Vette. I think one panelist disagreed on Telluride.
    In addition to the the vehicle wins (C8 Corvette, Gladiator, and Telluride), I guess you can grant a win to Autoline's prognosticators too for accurately predicting the outcome.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Show-Me View Post
    What a concept - put your heart and soul into making an outstanding product, and you get - an outstanding product.
    Hopefully this wakes GM up from its middle-to-below average aim.
    And also reminds us GM CAN make excellent products IF IT PUTS ITS HEART AND SOUL INTO THE EFFORT!!!!
    You make a very good point. I have no doubt many of the employees that worked on the new Corvette project put their heart and soul into it.

However, many of the GM employees are not able to work on programs such as the Corvette. Some have to work on the mundane vehicles, which are still needed in the various vehicle lineups.

The UAW and its members (a huge chunk of GM employees), showed their contempt for GM and its customers by striking for 40 days while GM was still negotiating. The strike has delayed the launch of the new Corvette, and prevented many customers from getting their GM vehicles repaired due to a huge shortage of parts.

The UAW often throws up roadblocks to the successful operation of the company, and the recent strike is a classic example.

Throw in a corrupt UAW leadership model, and it sets the tone for the lower-level members who build the vehicles.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

criticalmass (Yesterday),eklauss (Today),gkr778 (01-13-2020),yello430 (Yesterday)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 842 Posts

^^^^Lemme guess something about the UAW right?^^^^
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

nota (Today)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

I'm not upset with the selection, but I really think the Corvette should be eligible next year, not this year. The other winners (Telluride, Gladiator) have actually been out in customers hands, driven a ton of miles by reviewers and actual customers. I'd rather see a 'car' named car of the year for all the reasons they use to select it, PLUS having real world customer feedback also.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

VS Ute 5Litre (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,191 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    The UAW often throws up roadblocks to the successful operation of the company, and the recent strike is a classic example.
    +1
    Actually, your statement can be broadened to read, "the UAW always throws up roadblocks to the successful operation of the company." It's the nature of the parasite-host relationship.

Despite the UAW generated delay in C8 Corvette's SOP, the praise that GM has received for this car is noteworthy and well deserved. It's practically guaranteed that C8's first year in the market will be a success.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,177 Times in 2,072 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Corvette deserved it. I guess they went with the Gladiator because it was novel and new. As far as the rest of the trucks out there it seems to be more overpriced for what you get and in a lot of the testing they came away underwhelmed by it sort of.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 694 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Corvette #1

LOVE IT - BRING IT!

Thanks

Congrats to Chevy and the C8 team for a fantastic job, and a well-deserved award! I'm just starting to get to know how great the (new to me) C7 is, so I can only imagine. We took a little advantage of the northeast warm spell to take the C7 out yesterday (after a fantastic motorcycle ride), and to get some nice sunset photos at BellWorx in NJ.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/w6j1zqGGAxcaNow16

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yamahr1 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (Yesterday),rockyspaw (Yesterday),tgagneguam (01-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,150 Times in 4,062 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Great job GM!

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information