GM Inside News Forum banner

Can the Trailblazer Activ Actually Blaze a Trail?

6K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  1958carnut 
#1 ·
Can the 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer Activ Actually Blaze a Trail?
We take the toughest Trailblazer trim off-road to test its credentials.
Scott Evans
Jul 13, 2020
motortrend.com

"Trailblazer" doesn't have to be a literal term. We talk about figurative trailblazers all the time, people or products that do things differently or break a glass ceiling. Although the 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer may be an new product for the brand, it competes in an established segment, and both the marketing around our "Activ" trim level tester and the history behind the Trailblazer name suggest Chevrolet meant the literal definition. Let's put it to the test, then.

The original Trailblazer (and the Trailblazer trim level for the compact S-10 Blazer that preceded it) was a truck-based, body-on-frame SUV with proper four-wheel drive and a six- or eight-cylinder engine. The all-new model is a car-based, unibody crossover with two different turbocharged three-cylinder engines and manually selectable all-wheel drive.

Our off-road-focused Activ trim level tester gets a minor suspension lift, some underbody shielding, a revised front bumper for better clearance, and "sport terrain" tires. Never heard of a "sport terrain" tire? It's an all-season tire with aggressive-looking sidewalls that may or may not improve traction slightly in deep mud, sand, or snow. Technically, these tires are Hankook Dynapro AT2 all-terrains, but in a new configuration with considerably less aggressive tread likely optimized for on-road noise and comfort.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image courtesy of, and credited to, motortrend.com

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Motor Trend said:
So no, the new Trailblazer can't blaze a trail. The all-wheel-drive system is clearly meant as a traction aid in bad weather, shallow mud, dirt, gravel, and sand. With its open differentials, it's not going to get you over or through tougher obstacles even if the nose will clear them. The Trailblazer Activ is, as its name suggests, targeted at people with an "active lifestyle" in marketing speak who go to state parks and such where the ability to carry gear and not get stuck in the mud is all you really need. If your vacation itinerary includes an OHV trail, bring something else.
And there it is.

While we "get" that the Trailblazer wouldn't be that kind of product (despite it's mis-appropriated name), hopefully their advertising and marketing doesn't try and paint the product to be something it's really not. And if there is ever (EVER) a GMC version that makes the same claims, I hope they give it some actual capability to compete with the likes of the Jeep Renegade or Jeep Compass.

If not, then I am at least happy they didn't decide call it "Moab", "Patagonia", or something like that.

#21 ·
The Trailblazer shown here looks pretty sharp, but the one my neighbor has, is less stellar looking.

"Leaps and Bounds Better than the Trax" a low-low, bar......

Since GM is in the business of neutering nameplates...maybe they should do a 200 hp version and call it a Trailblazer SS
How about a Trailblazer TrailBoss?

:ponder:

They talk about the original Trailblazer like it had major offroad credibility. While I'm sure it could do better off-road, I better recall it being marketed as a family truckster vs. some kind of Jeep competitor. Why do this big off-road write-up on the new Trailblazer when we all know it's not meant to be a serious off-road vehicle. Might as well see how the C8 will handle off-road too.
Why take it so personal?

"Might as well see how the C8 will handle off-road too."

The original Trailblazer was similar to a Jeep Grand Cherokee, except it had a real frame, this Trailblazer is equivalent to a Dodge Journey.

#13 ·
. 200 HP in this little crack skipper--- Yahooey!
What a missed opportunity. Ugh, I hate they used this nameplate on this cladding package of a product. Why wasn't this used for a SUV off of the Colorado? :confused: :doh: I guess GM doesn't think those 4Runner/GC sales are worth the effort, lets just produce another FWD/crossover turd mobile. :fall: :barf: :faint: :brick
:yup: These little things are nice but it could have been so much more and better even. :(

#12 ·
What a missed opportunity. Ugh, I hate they used this nameplate on this cladding package of a product. Why wasn't this used for a SUV off of the Colorado? :confused: :doh: I guess GM doesn't think those 4Runner/GC sales are worth the effort, lets just produce another FWD/crossover turd mobile. :fall: :barf: :faint: :brick

#17 ·
They talk about the original Trailblazer like it had major offroad credibility. While I'm sure it could do better off-road, I better recall it being marketed as a family truckster vs. some kind of Jeep competitor. Why do this big off-road write-up on the new Trailblazer when we all know it's not meant to be a serious off-road vehicle. Might as well see how the C8 will handle off-road too.

#23 ·
I think GM used an old, familiar name with a fair amount of recognition for this new model - which is nothing like the original Trailblazer. By using an established name, it saves GM a lot of money spent on marketing, to establish a new name.

The few people that don’t like it really don’t matter to GM. They are looking for instant recognition in a name that is established and has some ruggedness to it.

#27 · (Edited)
Trailblazer isn't a storied name by any means, at the time it certainly blended into the family SUV landscape. The novelty of a BOF SUV today is probably what carries weight today, it was never a "Trail Blazer". It wasn't that long-lived either, lasting less than a decade and was largely forgotten like the GMC Envoy. I don't think anybody is really that bothered by its use here. But Blazer, that's another story. They missed an opportunity.

#30 ·
Trailblazer isn't a storied name by any means, at the time it certainly blended into the family SUV landscape. The novelty of a BOF SUV today is probably what carries weight today, it was never a "Trail Blazer". It wasn't that long-lived either, lasting less than a decade and was largely forgotten like the GMC Envoy. I don't think anybody is really that bothered by its use here. But Blazer, that's another story. That were an opportunity there they didn't use.
I suspect if they re-used the Lumina name on a CUV someone on GMI will freak out over it. Lumina has about as much historical brand equity as Trailblazer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.