C8 Power Discrepancy: Are the offiical numbers under-rated?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C8 Power Discrepancy: Are the offiical numbers under-rated?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

C8 Power Discrepancy: Are the offiical numbers under-rated?

Seems testing is coming up with higher than stated numbers.

How Much Power Does the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Really Make? We Take it to the Dyno and Find Out
    A lot more, it turns out
    Miguel Cortina, Words
    Motor Trend Staff, Photos
    Oct 21, 2019
    motortrend.com

I'm looking through a window, hands around my face, staring at a screen with all sorts of graphics and numbers that are too small to read. On the other side of the window, a red 2020 Chevrolet Corvette is strapped to the dyno with its rear wheels spinning very, very fast.

The double-paned windows are not enough to keep the engine note from reaching other parts of the facility. The speedometer on the screen reads 150 mph, but the front wheels are not moving at all. Once the engine noise winds down and the wheels stop spinning, the numbers we're looking for pop up on the screen—558 hp and 515 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. "We've got a hot rod!" says international bureau chief Angus MacKenzie, who has been standing next to me all this time.

We're in shock. A quick math check reveals that's an estimated 656 hp and 606 lb-ft of torque at the crank if we assume a 15-percent drivetrain loss—way over the 495 hp and 470 lb-ft that Chevy claims. (That 15 percent represents the power consumed by everything between the engine crankshaft and the drive wheels, including inertia of all the spinning parts, power to run the hydraulic pump in an automatic or twin-clutch transmission, the drag that occurs when gears spin through lubricating oil, friction between the gear teeth, etc. It's an educated guestimate frequently used across the industry for modern light-duty automatic transmissions—manuals experience slightly smaller losses; older or heavier-duty automatics slightly larger ones.)

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    Last edited by nadepalma; 10-23-2019 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Revised and reformatted; moved to newsticker
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

Al465 (10-27-2019),nadepalma (10-23-2019),RamJet502 (10-23-2019),rand49er (10-29-2019),Self Reliance (10-23-2019),TruckMan (10-23-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 657 Posts

Re: C8 horsepower discrepancy?

Cool News!

GM can shake the Market Up, now it just has to do this stuff with a Bigger Market! Dodge Caravan/Ford Taurus/Chrysler K Car/Ford Explorer kind of Market.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,676 Times in 3,240 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

This is GM, they SAE certifiy everything, including speedometers, whet they tell you is what you get. Someone needs a new dyno. The secret is a DCT and high torque motor, not numbers gaming.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Self Reliance's Avatar
    Thanks
    Under promise and over deliver
    26 + 6 = 1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Self Reliance For This Useful Post:

Al465 (10-27-2019),RamJet502 (10-23-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Everything I am reading says MT just plain screwed up. Either the 0-60/100 times are wrong or the dyno is wrong. Given the times matched GM, they messed up the dyno measurement. Really sad. You'd think they would have scratched their heads and said this is wrong, cannot be right. But then they are journalists and not engineers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Everything I am reading says MT just plain screwed up. Either the 0-60/100 times are wrong or the dyno is wrong. Given the times matched GM, they messed up the dyno measurement. Really sad. You'd think they would have scratched their heads and said this is wrong, cannot be right. But then they are journalists and not engineers.
    Or they ran with the screwed up numbers to increase the number of clicks the article will get. Sometime later they will correct or post another article correcting to gain more clicks.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

11. The Following User Says Thank You to posaune For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (10-23-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    I believe the 0-60 times have already been independently verified, so I'm guessing their dyno is faulty.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

their assumption is 15% drivetrain losses. perhaps the dct trans is much more efficient and other losses are less than expected. also maybe ringer or super-tuned version

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Show-Me For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (10-23-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Show-Me View Post
    their assumption is 15% drivetrain losses. perhaps the dct trans is much more efficient and other losses are less than expected.
    That doesn't explain how it made more hp to the wheels than the advertised crank hp.

The dyno could definitely be the problem. That's an awful big leapfrog from one year to the next with the same NA engine architecture. Let's just hope it's not a ringer for initial testing purposes only. I don't think GM would be dumb enough to try and pull a fast one by supplying a ringer because it gets found out and the lingering bad press is not worth the initial praise.
    Last edited by big swede; 10-23-2019 at 12:47 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,207 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

I read in another article that I can't find now where GM said that they SAE tests are very stringent and that normal testing will likely present better results. Specifically, SAE uses warmer than normal air and that the engine is very responsive to colder air. They speculated that this caused the difference reported by MT.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-23-2019),richmond2000 (10-23-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,184 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz
    Nope, this is just a bad dyno reading. Unless this is somehow repeated with other dynos then I will question otherwise.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

CJH (10-25-2019),mbukukanyau (10-24-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    I read in another article that I can't find now where GM said that they SAE tests are very stringent and that normal testing will likely present better results. Specifically, SAE uses warmer than normal air and that the engine is very responsive to colder air. They speculated that this caused the difference reported by MT.
    Colder air couldn't have possibly given this particular C8 200 more hp
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Colder air couldn't have possibly given this particular C8 200 more hp
    Yes, you need stickers and a huge wing on the back for those type of numbers...one of those tornado intake inserts too.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to posaune For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (10-24-2019),richmond2000 (10-23-2019),TruckMan (10-23-2019),Z16monte (10-26-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    That doesn't explain how it made more hp to the wheels than the advertised crank hp.

The dyno could definitely be the problem. That's an awful big leapfrog from one year to the next with the same NA engine architecture. Let's just hope it's not a ringer for initial testing purposes only. I don't think GM would be dumb enough to try and pull a fast one by supplying a ringer because it gets found out and the lingering bad press is not worth the initial praise.
    I saw an article over my head that was saying for the redline of the engine, the size of the engine, it was thermodynamically impossible for that hp number. Not a mechanical engineer, but the author seemed to know what they were talking about. The takeaway from the article was without forced induction, not possible.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Or Chevy is sandbagging and the engine is just that powerful.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RamJet502 For This Useful Post:

Al465 (10-27-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast