C7 vs. C8: Pro Racer Randy Pobst Drives Both on the Track!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: C7 vs. C8: Pro Racer Randy Pobst Drives Both on the Track!

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,251 Times in 1,110 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

C7 vs. C8: Pro Racer Randy Pobst Drives Both on the Track!

C7 vs. C8 Corvette on the Track! Pro Racer Randy Pobst Drives Both
    We test the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette with Chevy’s engineering team
    Motor Trend
    Robin Trajano
    Dec 2, 2019

The Corvette has long been the bad boy of the racetrack, the Bart Simpson of supercars. Rude, loud, cheap, unpredictable, and hard to handle; but fast and fun in its own brash way. Now, the Corvette has finally grown up. The C8 Corvette is more sophisticated, capable, and mature. And recently, we were honored with an exclusive 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 track test at VIRginia International Raceway, driving the 911-beater in street and track alignment settings.

To our pleasant surprise, Chevy also supplied a 2019 C7 Grand Sport, which I consider to be the best-handling of all the C7 variations. At this test, Chevy required that a passenger ride along, and that victim was in fact Corvette lead development engineer Mike Petrucci.

My first laps in the new mid-engine C8 Corvette were on the street alignment. Thrilled, we strap into the upgraded interior, and though the squircle steering wheel is a bit odd, I almost never noticed it. I just let Mike push the buttons for his recommended choice of the many possible modes, asking only that he turn off all autonomy (stability controls); I want to do the driving, thank you. Basically what this meant was Race mode.

Next, we switched to the track alignment. Chevy showed us the specs, and it simply comes down to much more negative camber, front and rear. The engineers are proud of the increased range of adjustment. And eight degrees of caster, street or track, which is a lot. The advantages of caster are that it creates camber gain when the wheels are turned, which is especially good for tight turns, and a strong self-centering force, for stability and good on-center feel.
    *Full Article at Link
    Last edited by nadepalma; 12-02-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Adjusted Title

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (12-03-2019),nadepalma (12-02-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

Re: C7 vs. C8 Corvette on the Track! Pro Racer Randy Pobst Drives Both[

Short but sweet article. Looks like the mid-engine Corvette is going to be a far better car than it's predecessor. Awesome!
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (12-02-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

When someone starts talking about the C7 Corvette as being "the Bart Simpson of supercars. Rude, loud, cheap, unpredictable, and hard to handle", it is obvious he's not a Corvette lover. The C7 is not the car he describes it. To the contrary. The guy is an idiot! At least, he sounds positive about the C8.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al465 For This Useful Post:

09W (12-02-2019),Greg Burr (12-07-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,313 Posts

It's the usual media pattern with many GM cars. Good, sometimes great reviews when they come out. The C7 received these. Then a few years later they treat the same car as though it is and always was garbage. You see this all the time with every new Cadillac, which is treated as though it's the first good Cadillac since 1955. All the good reviews of prior models are forgotten.

No doubt the C8 is going to be an amazing car. But to my eyes, not that the C8 isn't great looking, but the C7 is better looking.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

09W (12-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,149 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    When someone starts talking about the C7 Corvette as being "the Bart Simpson of supercars. Rude, loud, cheap, unpredictable, and hard to handle", it is obvious he's not a Corvette lover.
    Have you driven a C2 - C7 Corvette at a track event (e.g., HPDE) at or near the car's limits? Randy Pobst isn't exaggerating. It takes a very skilled driver to do that with stability control turned off completely. Corvettes are not known to be docile at 10/10ths.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

car54suzi (12-06-2019),Chassis Guy (12-02-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Have you driven a C2 - C7 Corvette at a track event (e.g., HPDE) at or near the car's limits? Randy Pobst isn't exaggerating. It takes a very skilled driver to do that with stability control turned off completely. Corvettes are not known to be docile at 10/10ths.

I haven't driven a C7 at a track event. But I don't think I need to have done that to judge the "rude, loud, and cheap" portion of his comments. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on "unpredictable" and I've heard that before, but I think he's wrong about the first three adjectives.

Shouldn't track events only have very skilled drivers as participants?

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I haven't driven a C7 at a track event. But I don't think I need to have done that to judge the "rude, loud, and cheap" portion of his comments. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on "unpredictable" and I've heard that before, but I think he's wrong about the first three adjectives.

It's built by 2 fat blokes from kentucky, "rude, loud, and cheap" shouldn't be a leap for anyone except kentuckians.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    The BMW CCA HPDE sessions I've done at Memphis International Raceway and Summit Point Raceway had lots of programs for novice drivers like me.

But of course, the 'E' in HPDE stands for education. When it comes to timed, competitive, and/or racing track events, participants should be very skilled and have practiced extensively. Maybe not to Randy Pobst levels, but beyond "novice".

btw, I did experience a Corvette C7 Z51 at Summit Point as a passenger. The driver just happened to be one of my HPDE instructors.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 777 Posts

Um...isn't one of the main draws of the Corvette is how its substantially cheaper than cars that it is more capable than? That nails the Cheap adjective.

6.2 OHV V8 piped through an active exhaust. loud....check.

The rude remark...well that's an opinion...but it is definitely loud and cheap it sure as hell isn't quiet and expensive.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (12-02-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Um...isn't one of the main draws of the Corvette is how its substantially cheaper than cars that it is more capable than? That nails the Cheap adjective.

6.2 OHV V8 piped through an active exhaust. loud....check.

The rude remark...well that's an opinion...but it is definitely loud and cheap it sure as hell isn't quiet and expensive.
    I don't think the MT writer meant cheap and loud as literally as you've defined them. They were insults. "Cheap" was more his opinion of the quality of material and build, not a price comparison. Same thing with "loud," as all cars like this are loud when you get down to it. It's what sort of sound you're getting from the car. Loud can be agricultural loud, or sportscar loud. "Loud" in the writer's context was not a compliment.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

eklauss (12-03-2019)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    It's built by 2 fat blokes from kentucky, "rude, loud, and cheap" shouldn't be a leap for anyone except kentuckians.
    "Way to go fat man from Kentucky!"

- Jeremy Clarkson driving the C6 ZR1
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (12-03-2019),sdotjeezy (12-03-2019)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    When someone starts talking about the C7 Corvette as being "the Bart Simpson of supercars. Rude, loud, cheap, unpredictable, and hard to handle", it is obvious he's not a Corvette lover. The C7 is not the car he describes it. To the contrary. The guy is an idiot! At least, he sounds positive about the C8.
    Lol, Randy Pobst is not an idiot, he's a legitimate talented racing driver. Rude may be a poor choice, but the other adjectives are pretty spot on. Keep in mind he's also a driver moonlighting as a columnist here so perhaps not the best choice of words for a rushed article. But his point about the Corvette generally being more brash and less refined then it's Porsche and Ferrari competition isn't far off the mark.

But he's always been complimentary of the Vettes for the most part, as well as the 5/6G Camaro's. He just bought a 2.0T 1LE Camaro for his personal use. Also he at one point deemed the SS his favorite sports sedan.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

CJH (12-03-2019),gkr778 (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Lol, Randy Pobst is not an idiot, he's a legitimate talented racing driver.
    +1
    Randy Pobst's record of 90+ pro wins, including twice at 24 Hours of Daytona, speaks for itself. He is also an excellent instructor; thousands of amateur motorsports participants (myself included) have benefited from his advice and experience.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Black 78 GrandAm 5.7,Bl 09 G5

Randy Pobst is one of the foremost drivers, and knowledgeable car critics in NA. His descriptions of what a car does under track use are dead on. (From a former track rat on asphalt and dirt)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to car54suzi For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (12-06-2019)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements