Barra Isnít Ruling Out Corvette Sub-Brand - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barra Isnít Ruling Out Corvette Sub-Brand

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Re: Barra Isnít Ruling Out Corvette Sub-Brand

Hmm, Corvette Cutlass Calais
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mentat Bashar For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (12-06-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,006 Times in 4,304 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat Bashar View Post
    Hmm, Corvette Cutlass Calais
    ...Supreme LX STD.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (12-06-2019)

Thanks

Oh stop it. This will never happen.

The Stingray,Grand Sport,Z06 and ZR1 are the most of a Corvette sub brand GM will ever provide.

And much like others have said; GM doesn't have a clue into how to even define and market such a brand. Just look at what GM has done with GMChevy,Buopelevyick,and Chevrollac.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Mothers reign needs to end and Johan needs to be appointed CEO
    Mary would like you to use Mǔqīn when referring to her now Mukbuk.
    Last edited by Mr.Buttons; 12-06-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

One of the reasons we might be getting a sub-brand out of Mustang is because of electrification which is a tricky boundary to cross. Electrification is key to performance going forward, but how do you make that transition while preserving the majority customer? Adding models to the nameplate might be neccessary. The only problem with the Mach-E is that it really wasn't birthed as a Mustang compliment, they are just using Mustang style and branding to motivate its team and customers to get onboard a product that was quite boring.

I think the sub-brand actually worth paying attention to is Bronco. We are getting two Broncos at the same time to reach different customers. It's easy to see this as Ford's effort to take on Jeep and it's clearly designed as a sub-brand from the start.

Corvette seems like a hard one to sub-brand outside of the exotic car scope they are in. Mustang is a little more malleable perhaps, you can see a 4-Door Mustang without too much controversy and it's something people have speculated about for years. And now that we have a Mustang EV Crossover that actually looks pretty good, it seems to work for some people. And in the case of Ford, it's their only car brand remaining so the strength of the brand could contribute to other car models, especially as we move into electrification. Making Mustang or Corvette the EV flagships isn't such a bad idea.
    Last edited by BORG; 12-06-2019 at 03:20 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

tripowergto Jan2003 (12-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    What parts do the family of Porsche vehicles share with the 911?
    They don't need to share parts per se, but I feel like there should be more of a connection than splitting the taillights in three and calling it a day.

For example, the 911 and the SUVs have 6-cylineder engines, they all have available AWD. They have a physical family resemblance inside and out. The 911 and the Boxster/Cayman both have the engine behind the driver and they're both clearly sports cars. They also share a physical family resemblance.

The renderings of the cars sdotjeezy posted earlier I think could absolutely form a "family" with the C8. I see the connection between the products.

With the Mustang and the "Mustang," I find the disconnect between the models to be way too wide. The whole thing strikes me as condescending and disingenuous.
    Last edited by Murrow; 12-06-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 872 Posts

I know this isn't a physical part...but the other Porsche vehicles share the essence of the 911

I believe I heard Hackett let it slip out on the radio a few weeks ago, that it was going to be a Fusion.
    What I got from the Mach E story was that it was on track to be Ford's Bolt...albeit a larger Bolt but a true economy class EV nonetheless. He intervened and had the designers inject some Mustang into the DNA of the car.

I remember that! The over-use of the name didn't kill the brand, the over-productions of crap-product killed the division.

Gen I Aurora was a quantum leap, Gen II - back to full bean-counter mode.
    I remember seeing the 1st gen aurora for the 1st time, had no idea it was an oldsmobile...looked nothing like anything on the road.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,155 Posts

What vehicles in the Porsche family share a name with the 911?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
    They don't need to share parts per se, but I feel like there should be more of a connection than splitting the taillights in three and calling it a day.

For example, the 911 and the SUVs have 6-cylineder engines, they all have available AWD. They have a physical family resemblance inside and out. The 911 and the Boxster/Cayman both have the engine behind the driver and they're both clearly sports cars. They also share a physical family resemblance.

The renderings of the cars sdotjeezy posted earlier I think could absolutely form a "family" with the C8. I see the connection between the products.

With the Mustang and the "Mustang," I find the disconnect between the models to be way too wide. The whole thing strikes me as condescending and disingenuous.
    It's not, you're just a troglodyte. Sorry.

A brand is composed of values, and so long as the "Mustang" is affordable, has high performance, and is visibly relatable to its sibling(s), there's not much else you can do. What else do you want? Was the 928 less of a Porsche than the Panamera, Taycan, Macan, or Cayenne?

Would a plug-in Mustang make you feel better about the whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I know this isn't a physical part...but the other Porsche vehicles share the essence of the 911
    As does the Mach-E the Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    What vehicles in the Porsche family share a name with the 911?
    All of the vehicles that are sold as Porsches.

Mustang has become the de facto "brand" for the cars, not Ford.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jamiepeterson2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    That would require the GM braintrust be =/> Porsche smart people. I'm not holding my breath on that. Mary sounds more like the speaker of the house every day.

But I HAVE come up with a name. Yes, there's Vette II (like Chevy II, very clever no?), Vettevelle, Vettabu, Vettpala, Vettrado, Vettinox...hey, Saturn's already been used and ruined, how about Uranus?
    Don't forget the ubiquitous CHEVETTE!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    How about GM get Cadillac right before thinking about ANY sub brand!!
    I agree 100%! Design proper Cadillac sedans instead of the mess they call the CT4 and CT5.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by footney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    How about GM get Cadillac right before thinking about ANY sub brand!!
    I agree 100%! Design proper Cadillac sedans instead of the mess they call the CT4 and CT5.
    Bring back memorable names. Eldorado, Fleetwood, Brougham, ... the Escalade is still the Escalade, the rest of the lineup is a forgettable alphabet soup of generic cars™️

Thanks

[QUOT
    What a horrific idea...................

E=sdotjeezy;7207265]In before the obligatory "Porsche is a brand, Corvette is a model" posts...you're right, all they're going to do is speculate and study, do nothing and let the market pass them by. The C7 - C8 transition was the perfect time to get this whole thing off the ground...instead they wasted the opportunity and are now "reportedly" ;-) selling the C8 at a loss to keep the price in line with where the C7 was (TBH I don't believe that for a second, I think the "at a loss" is a cheap salesman tactic).

Too late for a Corvette EV CUV, Ford already beat them to the punch w/ the Mach E....that'll be a straight up copycat move if they did that.

Taking an additional step, a Corvette lineup would look like the below:

C7 (grand Tourer) facelifted C7
    4D Sedan based off facelifted C7:

CUV:

and of course the C8

These would then be sold out of Cadillac dealerships to 1. give high end buyers a high end experience and 2. Give Camaro the position as top dog on the Chevy showroom and allow for expansion of that brand without the "Corvette ceiling".[/QUOTE]
    Sammy

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not Corvette Sub Brand waste of Time, Chevrolet only has the Camaro and Corvette, just build both those above and call them something under Chevy brand and be done with it.****
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 872 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not Corvette Sub Brand waste of Time, Chevrolet only has the Camaro and Corvette, just build both those above and call them something under Chevy brand and be done with it.****
    The Chevrolet you loved as a brand is pretty much dead....its now a Toyota-eque mainstream brand that sells trucks and appliances. Their sedans are dead/dying and their CUVs are blah. If it weren't for their 3 halo products, Camaro, Corvette and Tahoeburb, they'd really have nothing. Also, keep in mind there is a bit of separation already of Corvette from the rest of Chevy, If i'm not mistaken dealerships have to be Corvette certified in order to sell the vette, there's no other vehicle in their lineup that requires a separate level of requirements to service...I mean dealers don't have to be Malibu or Impala certified...do they?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information